X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    And is the win over a team that has beaten Michigan, Notre Dame and Harvard completely dismissed???
    That's usually what happens with exhibitions... yes. Unless you die like Apollo Creed in Rocky IV (RIP ).

Don't get too upset guys, we suck too.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      Out of the Beanpot schools, at least Harvard's undefeated

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        That's usually what happens with exhibitions... yes. Unless you die like Apollo Creed in Rocky IV (RIP ).

As have HEA teams overall in OOC games so far.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
          And I don't care if Albie wins 10 games this year, I will always consider the decision not to hire Union's coach a good one.
          But you could have potentially seen Rick Bennett lose his **** and attack a Hockey East coach at center ice...

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          It didn't help that BU played a hard-fought game the night before and Merrimack didn't play Friday. Merrimack was noticeably quicker in the first period than BU.
          I can't recall BC ever playing an exhibition and then a real game the next night. That is an interesting dynamic. No idea when that exhibition game was booked but did you guys throw out all of your regulars in the exhibition game? It's early in the season so I can understand if you did, wanting those guys to get used to playing with each other etc but as a coach you have to have in the back of your mind that you are starting league play the next night.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            I can't recall BC ever playing an exhibition and then a real game the next night. That is an interesting dynamic. No idea when that exhibition game was booked but did you guys throw out all of your regulars in the exhibition game? It's early in the season so I can understand if you did, wanting those guys to get used to playing with each other etc but as a coach you have to have in the back of your mind that you are starting league play the next night.
            I have no inside knowledge, but I'm guessing we didn't have much choice. Since they are traveling all over the country I'm sure they had to take advantage of whatever "available" dates were open, and a team like BU was probably told, "Well, it's either this night or nothing. So if you want to play us, this is the only option because we will be in [insert location here] the next night..." So they took the game. They probably reasoned that playing the game would be more beneficial to the team in the long run, and from what everyone is saying that they were the "fastest team we will probably play all year," it seems to make sense.

Just looking quickly at their schedule, these are the games they have each month:
            September: 7
            October: 12
            November: 7
            December: 9
            January: 13
            February: 6
            March: 12
            April: 6

So that's 72 games - almost an entire NHL schedule. I'd say that doesn't allow much leeway...
            Last edited by chickod; 10-22-2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Mookie forgets what he was gonna type...
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                In 2015 BU played and lost to the U18 team (led by Clayton Keller) on a Friday, then beat Wisconsin 4-1 the next night.

I haven't heard much chatter about this among BU fans, but I think there's not much depth on this BU roster. I think that's why every healthy BU skater suited up for the exhibition game. Right now 2 d-men (Krys, Vidoli) are injured, plus a 3rd d-man (Switzer) is playing thru a lingering injury that kept him out last season.

Up front, I worry Tkachuk's early departure will have a far greater impact than many may think. Forces a depth forward who may not be well-suited for a top-6 / top-9 spot to play a more prominent role among the forward corps. Also easy to forget that there was supposed to be a 2nd grad transfer on BU's roster this year (Evan Tironese formerly of RPI) who would've provided the depth & experience this BU team could benefit from, and would've likely filled a spot on BU's 2nd/3rd line.

Between the pipes, when Oettinger struggles, I think there's a big enough drop-off between him & Prawdzik that prevents the team from being committed to giving Prawdzik more starts. I also wonder if Oettinger's struggles are somewhat attributed to self-pressure of feeling like he needs to carry the weight of the team when things aren't going as well, and his play suffers as well.

Comment

Anyone going to that Hockey Hysteria thing tonight? If I wasn't GOING TO GAME 1 OF THE WORLD SERIES tonight, I'd go.

Comment

I was in Boston over the weekend so I took in the BU @ Merrimack game to check another NCAA rink off my list. In my opinion, the game was a lot like some of the NCAA match-ups we've seen the last few years. An older, more experienced (but less talented team) defeated a less experienced, but more talented team. At certain moments, it was very clear that BU had more talent on the ice - guys making end to end rushes skating through Merrimack at will, great passing on the PP when they had puck control, etc. However there wasn't a great deal of team play or team chemistry from BU. Merrimack won puck battles in the corners and went hard to the net (Babcock especially). BU struggled to play as a team or make passing plays to develop Grade A scoring chances. Merrimack also played with an edge and I didn't get that same sense of urgency from BU.

Someone commented about the ticket prices. Not sure where they got $28. Our group paid $10 each and sat four rows behind the BU bench on the blue line. Free parking and reasonable concessions paired with a $10 ticket seemed pretty reasonable to me. Did seem like Merrimack wanted their rink to be the United Center East however. Vince Vaughn and any other 'Hawks fan would have liked it. Doesn't Merrimack have a fight song they can play? The have a band (all mic'd up and run through an EQ board run by a director in a suit, but a band none the less) but they only seemed to play pop charts all night. I also liked the big 20' long banner they had near the Zamboni storage which simply read "HOCKEY". I guess that's to help some of the fans understand what they are watching. (To be fair, there is another banner on the adjacent perpendicular wall you can't see from the stands, that reads "MERRIMACK".)

Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      I was in Boston over the weekend so I took in the BU @ Merrimack game to check another NCAA rink off my list. In my opinion, the game was a lot like some of the NCAA match-ups we've seen the last few years. An older, more experienced (but less talented team) defeated a less experienced, but more talented team. At certain moments, it was very clear that BU had more talent on the ice - guys making end to end rushes skating through Merrimack at will, great passing on the PP when they had puck control, etc. However there wasn't a great deal of team play or team chemistry from BU. Merrimack won puck battles in the corners and went hard to the net (Babcock especially). BU struggled to play as a team or make passing plays to develop Grade A scoring chances. Merrimack also played with an edge and I didn't get that same sense of urgency from BU.

Someone commented about the ticket prices. Not sure where they got $28. Our group paid $10 each and sat four rows behind the BU bench on the blue line. Free parking and reasonable concessions paired with a $10 ticket seemed pretty reasonable to me. Did seem like Merrimack wanted their rink to be the United Center East however. Vince Vaughn and any other 'Hawks fan would have liked it. Doesn't Merrimack have a fight song they can play? The have a band (all mic'd up and run through an EQ board run by a director in a suit, but a band none the less) but they only seemed to play pop charts all night. I also liked the big 20' long banner they had near the Zamboni storage which simply read "HOCKEY". I guess that's to help some of the fans understand what they are watching. (To be fair, there is another banner on the adjacent perpendicular wall you can't see from the stands, that reads "MERRIMACK".)

Ryan J
                      Where did you buy those $10 tickets? There was no option through Merrimack's website or through BU's allotment below $28.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                        Where did you buy those $10 tickets? There was no option through Merrimack's website or through BU's allotment below $28.
                        Yeah, I want to hear that answer as well. I bought mine at the ticket window and that's what the price was.

Comment

I'm not sure, but we didn't buy them walk-up at the game. We bought them a few weeks ago so I'm guessing either online or over the phone. We had tickets in hand before we arrived at the game. I'll look at the stub this evening and see if it says through what channel they were purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Anyone going to that Hockey Hysteria thing tonight? If I wasn't GOING TO GAME 1 OF THE WORLD SERIES tonight, I'd go.
                            Yeah, just rub it in. Jeez...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              I'm not sure, but we didn't buy them walk-up at the game. We bought them a few weeks ago so I'm guessing either online or over the phone. We had tickets in hand before we arrived at the game. I'll look at the stub this evening and see if it says through what channel they were purchased.
                              The tickets are printed on Merrimack ticket stock and say "GROUP $10". So I'm guessing we got a group rate by buying a few weeks in advance. (There were eight of us.)
                              Ryan J

Comment

Yeah the standard Mack price is definitely in the twenties. They charge different amounts by opponent and I think NU ends up closer to 23 or so, so 28 for BU is probably right. I've been to Lawler once and don't plan to return, not worth the price.

Comment

Working...
                                X