X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
    - I saw Mario (he says hi Mookie)
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

only one hea team has more losses at home that the terriors (mack).
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        only one hea team has more losses at home that the terriors (mack).
        Nothing I’ve seen in this 5 game homestand makes me think that they are capable of the strong finish of last year. If they lose on Friday to a 19-5 Umass team it will be a 2-3 homestand with one win being a god awful Merrimack team and let’s face it ASU is good enough but not special. They have 12 wins against AL-Fairbanks, Huntsville, Omaha, Princeton, MSU and Colorado College All bottom feeders . Also 2 against BC which I won’t lump in with that group but having an off year. They looked like they were satisfied with a split last night on a night they should have been rallying around the Freshman’s first start. Garbage effort, no character, ineffective head coach

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
          Nothing I’ve seen in this 5 game homestand makes me think that they are capable of the strong finish of last year. If they lose on Friday to a 19-5 Umass team it will be a 2-3 homestand with one win being a god awful Merrimack team and let’s face it ASU is good enough but not special. They have 12 wins against AL-Fairbanks, Huntsville, Omaha, Princeton, MSU and Colorado College All bottom feeders . Also 2 against BC which I won’t lump in with that group but having an off year. They looked like they were satisfied with a split last night on a night they should have been rallying around the Freshman’s first start. Garbage effort, no character, ineffective head coach
          Well, you made some of my points. Since I stated in November that they will "play better at the end of the year," I need to eat some crow (or at least provide an "explanation"). What I was saying was that given the current "parameters" (high draft picks, players leaving for the pros after one or two years, etc.), we will have to get used to a different "paradigm." Gone are the 32-2 days, because due to the lack of continuity from one year to the next, it is always going to take time for the team to jell. I would also add that it's not always gloom and doom, because we HAVE been one game away from the Frozen Four each of the previous two year. Having said that, however, here are my observations after last night's game.

We can't "assume" that every team will "jell" to the same extent. What I see when I watch this team is a lot of talent and skill, but NO understanding of how to put it together. They seem to expend a lot of energy with no purpose. The drop pass to a covered forward on a clean 2 on 1 is the "symbolic" play that stands out, but they've been doing similar things all year. They don't seem to have a good instinct about when to do things. Some of this stuff you just can't teach. And that's the part of the recruiting game which is sort of a crap shoot, because we sometimes forget how young these players are. Now, it could be said that you are supposed to be able to "teach" this, but there are some intangibles that either you just have or you don't. Because if it were that easy, everyone would be a superstar.

To my way of thinking, after the blown loss to the Q, I looked at last night as a "prove it to me" game. This team was either going to show us that they could come up big when it counted, or they weren't. They didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            The drop pass to a covered forward on a clean 2 on 1 is the "symbolic" play that stands out, but they've been doing similar things all year. They don't seem to have a good instinct about when to do things.
            This can happen for reasons not related to poor hockey sense in the case of the puck carrier. Sometimes this is just team-mate BS where the puck carrier has been given a hard time for not dishing the puck enough or perhaps the forward called for the stupid puck when he was covered. Unfortunately, it could be related to a cultural issue in general or on the other hand could just be a crappy play and not representative of anything.
            "What about my asthma?"
            "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

Originally posted by SpauldingSmails View Post
              on the other hand could just be a crappy play and not representative of anything.
              True. And water is wet. But that doesn't prevent us from drinking it...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post

We can't "assume" that every team will "jell" to the same extent. What I see when I watch this team is a lot of talent and skill, but NO understanding of how to put it together. They seem to expend a lot of energy with no purpose.
                For what it's worth, this is how I felt around this time last year, maybe not quite this far into the season. That team found it's stride, but this years team doesn't have the depth of skill or experience that last year's team did. And in a league as competitive as Hockey East, you just can't rely on turning things on for the second half. I do think the team can still make a nice run in the conference and fight for a first round bye, maybe make some noise and get to the Garden. But barring pretty much running the table, the NCAA's are not looking likely.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                  For what it's worth, this is how I felt around this time last year, maybe not quite this far into the season. That team found it's stride, but this years team doesn't have the depth of skill or experience that last year's team did. And in a league as competitive as Hockey East, you just can't rely on turning things on for the second half. I do think the team can still make a nice run in the conference and fight for a first round bye, maybe make some noise and get to the Garden. But barring pretty much running the table, the NCAA's are not looking likely.
                  One man's opinion -

1. I didn't think BU was awful Saturday night. I thought the difference in the game was that BU looked like they wanted to win, ASU played like the had to win. ASU did a great job of blocking shots and using their sticks to disrupt passes.

2. On the replay, it looked like the ASU goalie managed to deflect Willman's top of the crease shot with his skate? I thought that was a goal for sure.

3. Now, next year's recruiting class (entering in the fall) is supposed to be better than the current freshman class, right? So, if Bowers and Farrabee return, then we have something? I assume Fabbro is long gone.
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                    One man's opinion -

1. I didn't think BU was awful Saturday night. I thought the difference in the game was that BU looked like they wanted to win, ASU played like the had to win. ASU did a great job of blocking shots and using their sticks to disrupt passes.

2. On the replay, it looked like the ASU goalie managed to deflect Willman's top of the crease shot with his skate? I thought that was a goal for sure.

3. Now, next year's recruiting class (entering in the fall) is supposed to be better than the current freshman class, right? So, if Bowers and Farrabee return, then we have something? I assume Fabbro is long gone.

Next man's opinion...

1. BU outplayed ASU for much of the 1st period. Numerous grade-A scoring chances. If they scored a couple of goals in that stretch, the complexion of the game totally changes. I don't think this BU team has issues front-running (not like it's happened often this season), but seems to get down on itself when they outplay the opposition and have nothing to show for it. It's the 4th home game where this has happened - 2nd Maine game, BC and Lowell were the other games where I felt this was also the case.

2. On paper next year's incoming class is very talented and deep. But like recent years past, they'll likely be pressed into significant roles right away based on roster turnover. Fabbro is definitely gone, whereas Oettinger, Krys, Bowers are 50/50. Farabee is definitely a flight risk, but I've heard he's more likely to return. Wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1 of Oettinger/Krys/Bowers return (if might not be whom many of us think) and someone whom I didn't mention depart early.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                      I do think the team can still make a nice run in the conference and fight for a first round bye
                      No more first round, so it’s home ice for the quarterfinals or on the road.

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                        Next man's opinion...

1. BU outplayed ASU for much of the 1st period. Numerous grade-A scoring chances. If they scored a couple of goals in that stretch, the complexion of the game totally changes. I don't think this BU team has issues front-running (not like it's happened often this season), but seems to get down on itself when they outplay the opposition and have nothing to show for it. It's the 4th home game where this has happened - 2nd Maine game, BC and Lowell were the other games where I felt this was also the case.

2. On paper next year's incoming class is very talented and deep. But like recent years past, they'll likely be pressed into significant roles right away based on roster turnover. Fabbro is definitely gone, whereas Oettinger, Krys, Bowers are 50/50. Farabee is definitely a flight risk, but I've heard he's more likely to return. Wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1 of Oettinger/Krys/Bowers return (if might not be whom many of us think) and someone whom I didn't mention depart early.
                        I've assumed that Oettinger will leave. I think Krys would have a rough time in the AHL, never mind the NHL.
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                          Next man's opinion...

On paper next year's incoming class is very talented and deep. But like recent years past, they'll likely be pressed into significant roles right away based on roster turnover. Fabbro is definitely gone, whereas Oettinger, Krys, Bowers are 50/50. Farabee is definitely a flight risk, but I've heard he's more likely to return. Wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1 of Oettinger/Krys/Bowers return (if might not be whom many of us think) and someone whom I didn't mention depart early.
                          Fabbro does everything better than McAvoy but skate.

Contractually, Dallas is set in goal. Oettinger could come back, with the Stars blessing.
                          Colorado could encourage Bowers to stay and develop for another year.
                          Krys should not go anywhere.

Farabee is getting better and better. He is going to be a good two-way pro. Another year in college, especially if he can become a dominant offensive threat, would be really good for his overall development.

What we don't know is how quickly they want to start their rookie contract clock? It appears to have worked for some, but it has not helped JFK at all.

Back to the goalies. Prawdzik was at the Beanpot luncheon (usually for seniors). Is he going to be a grad transfer? He is behind Purpura in the pecking order. If it is Oettinger and Purpura next year, Prawdzik won't see the ice. He has worked so hard, it would be nice to see him get to play some. It does not appear that it will be at BU. But maybe he can do a Lacouvee?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                            Fabbro does everything better than McAvoy but skate.
                            I don't disagree with this statement, but I think it minimizes how McAvoy uses that skating ability. He was so good at covering the rushing forward, making sure he pushed him wide to force him behind the net, use his stick skills to take the puck, and start skating up ice with it, all without really even breaking stride. I don't know that I've seen any other defenseman at BU that was able to make that play so effectively. I think it is a reason he has had success at the NHL level already.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                              No more first round, so it’s home ice for the quarterfinals or on the road.

Sean
                              Right - I forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                                Back to the goalies. Prawdzik was at the Beanpot luncheon (usually for seniors). Is he going to be a grad transfer? He is behind Purpura in the pecking order. If it is Oettinger and Purpura next year, Prawdzik won't see the ice. He has worked so hard, it would be nice to see him get to play some. It does not appear that it will be at BU. But maybe he can do a Lacouvee?
                                Could be a grad transfer candidate though I doubt there would be a Minnesota State-level suitor for him. Connor was a very, very solid backup and put up some great performances in that role. Max unfortunately has not and the one shot he got this year was so disastrous that it likely necessitated bringing Purpura in early to be able to give Jake some nights off.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X