This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
    I don’t know which team has the better “talent” on paper I just know what team looked they had it in the game. You don’t crow about being the better team when you get roasted on your home ice. That said a 1/3 of the way through the season O’Connell looks overmatched in the HC position. Other then not winning any games at all I can’t imagine a worse start for this team. They have 4 wins of which three were one goal wins vs Maine, UNH and UConn. In 5 of their 12 games they have scored 1 or less goals. Statistically they are one of the handful of most inept offensive teams in the nation . A quarter of their goals have been from the back line and they only have 13 even strength goals basically one per game.
    No one is crowing about being a better team. I, for one, am expressing disappointment that our team lost to a trash pile of a hockey team.

Maybe we should time Albie's dismissal with the Flyers' upcoming firing of Hakstol? At least we'd be sure to make the Frozen Four before playing like garbage. Either that or wait for Quinn to be fired? After offending Pandolfo and Sacco, I'm sure those ships have sailed.

Comment

• Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

The first period was the best period of hockey I have seen from BU all season. But they only could score once.

BU had seven forwards in the game that have yet to score a goal all season, including Patrick Harper, who looks a shadow of the player he was before his illness. I keep waiting for him to break out.
      Amonte's two goals in Belfast are the only scores from the third and fourth line players THIS SEASON. In 13 games. Seriously.

Curry works very hard, and would be fine on the third line of a good team. That he is playing on the top two lines speaks volumes of the lack of offense available.
      We are getting more than a share of high-end players, but the recruiting of role players - particularly at forward - has not been good for several years.
      Cloonan is now up to 90 games without a goal. How can that be for such a gifted skater?

A lot of BU's offense is generated from the blueline (Fabbro, Krys, Farrance), but that can be vulnerable to the counterattack. How many breakaways has Oettinger had to stop? Too many.

Bobo, Bowers, Farabee and Cockerill are the only offensive threats at forward right now. Harper and Wise really need to play up to their offensive capabilities.

I'm not going to place the blame on Albie. Not yet. The jury is still out. Getting Pearl, who is a proven commodity, has to be a positive.
      But Albie can't put the uniform back on and go out and score. He just has to find combinations that can, and he is not spoiled for choice at the moment.
      Last edited by Harry Cleverly; 12-01-2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
        No one is crowing about being a better team. I, for one, am expressing disappointment that our team lost to a trash pile of a hockey team.
        Well you'll hear the same from me should BC lose tonight! Hopefully that didn't offend Tater. What a time to be alive when UMass is Hockey East's best chance.

Comment

Barring a scandal, I can't envision BU doing anything with O'Connell for at least three years. Crazy to even talk about 12 games into season one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
            The first period was the best period of hockey I have seen from BU all season. But they only could score once.
            Save for that 5 minute major PP. Oooof.

I'm not going to place the blame on Albie. Not yet. The jury is still out. Getting Pearl, who is a proven commodity, has to be a positive.
            But Albie can't put the uniform back on and go out and score. He just has to find combinations that can, and he is not spoiled for choice at the moment.
            Give ‘em three years. Then we can reassess.
            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
              Honestly BC almost killed the 7 minutes of stupid penalties. But Mattilla left the backdoor wide open with his poor positioning and poor defense.

Woll deserved to be the player of the game with those saves point blank and in the doorstep area.
              NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

BU is now 4-13-2 vs. BC at Agganis. 2-9-1 over the past 10 seasons.

Disclaimer: entitled BU fan rant coming up...

Results notwithstanding, attending BU-BC games at Agganis have become more of a stressor for me compared to all other games. Between the tension b/c of the opponent, the thousands of casual/random student and non-student fans that only come to the BC game, trying to navigate all of this at all corners (parking, pregame, inside the arena, leaving the rink, etc.) makes me more stressed & agitated. I know sold-out/near-capacity crowds for most home games were the norm the first few years at Agganis; I think after last night I realized I've become quite content being at games when Agganis is only half to 2/3rds full the last few years.

I felt particularly triggered last night by all the extra people and disruptions. First, there were A LOT of highly intoxicated students; I know there was an organized "power hour" drinking session at White Horse Tavern that wide widely promoted on social media. Second, the "******* BC" chant was lame AF by the students, presumably fueled by the booze. Third, I was confronted by several highly intoxicated BU students who were rude directly towards me in the concourse (including 1 male and 1 female student who got right in my face) while I was trying to get to my seat. Fourth, while having dinner & drinks before the game, there was also a large group of older (and very loud, obnoxious, inebriated) BU "fans" nearby whom I don't think I've ever seen throughout the years that were constantly yelling random BU (and anti-BC) chants, whistling and screaming towards one another where others inside the establishment clearly noticed their behavior.

I'll be relieved to return to the relative emptiness of Agganis the next 2 Fridays...

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Barring a scandal, I can't envision BU doing anything with O'Connell for at least three years. Crazy to even talk about 12 games into season one.
                  Yeah they won't actually fire him, but in my opinion, he never should've been hired in the first place.

Comment

Last night? Disappointing, to say the very least. But looking back, coming into the first BC game last season BU was 6-8-1, as contrasted with coming in last night at 4-6-1. Not really a significant difference - but both disappointments nonetheless at this spot in the season.

Like many others here, I don't see why Ryan Cloonan is playing. I don't know why Carpenter isn't left to play center. I don't understand why lines need to be mixed and matched each game - how does one develop chemistry and understanding of line-mates when there's always someone new? And defensively... why are plagued with sloppy, giveaway passes in our own zone - turnovers that put us back on our heels time and time again?

Comment

- First off, the odds were clearly against BU winning last night. What is their recent record against BC at Agganis? Feels like it is 1-9. If history holds, they'll win tonight at Conte where they seemingly are 9-1 in those same years.
                      - That said, i definitely have concerns about the talent, and yes, perhaps the coaching. That first period 5 minute PP was terrible. Since York arrived at BC, there has been one constant that I can always count on - hits PK team plays EXTREMELY aggressive. They pressure the point men and force you to make a mistake. It took FOREVER for the Terriers to take advantage of this and work the puck down low as they did on the Krys goal. 6 minutes too long. Albie should have had the team prepared.
                      - I agree with Bomber (I think) - I literally didn't know Wahlstron was even in the lineup until halfway through the second period (watching the game on TV/Stream - impossible to see numbers, but his name wasn't called until then). I thought - "Oh, Jerry sat him for this game to try to light a fire". That said, congratulations to him on his first career NCAA assist!!
                      - On a related note - if NESN was just going to put the stream on TV, instead of actually having a team at the game, they should let us know somehow. I was SO disappointed when I realized that I was going to have to suffer through 1) lots of time with the camera not actually following the puck, 2) the broadcast going to commercial when you can clearly see the BC players signaling that they couldn't go to a break since BU cleared the puck out of the arena, resulting in COMPLETELY MISSING THE FIRST BC GOAL, and 3) just crappy quality overall. I suppose it is better than nothing, but I was not happy.
                      - I thought Wise played well. Hopefully, getting demoted to 4th line will get him going. He clearly has more offensive skills than most of the bottom six. I think he'll get it going.
                      - Glad to see Farabee come back after that huge hit. He has been one of the few bright spots.
                      - Hopefully they'll win tonight, to keep the season from going into the dumpster.
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Congrats for the BU Women sweeping a very good BC team.

Comment

• So did Oettinger steal a tie here?

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                            So did Oettinger steal a tie here?
                            Somewhat but Farabee had 2 glorious chances- 1st 0-0 tie ever
                            When did BU last score an even strength goal
                            Worried about Jake Wise situation- Hope it isn't another Kiefer Bellows situation
                            Last night he was on 4th line and one of our best forwards
                            Tonight he was on same line for first period and then didn't play
                            Need him on 2nd power play unit ahead of either Cheremeta or Willman
                            On a team severely lacking for goal scorers he should be playing more

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
                              Somewhat but Farabee had 2 glorious chances- 1st 0-0 tie ever
                              When did BU last score an even strength goal
                              Worried about Jake Wise situation- Hope it isn't another Kiefer Bellows situation
                              Last night he was on 4th line and one of our best forwards
                              Tonight he was on same line for first period and then didn't play
                              Need him on 2nd power play unit ahead of either Cheremeta or Willman
                              On a team severely lacking for goal scorers he should be playing more
                              Jake Wise won’t be at BU second semester. I am not saying that is he a complete bust but his performance has never matched what he looked like he might be at 15. Think Sam Kurker to some extent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                                Jake Wise won’t be at BU second semester. I am not saying that is he a complete bust but his performance has never matched what he looked like he might be at 15. Think Sam Kurker to some extent.
                                Wise is the same height today that he was at age 14. Has obviously bulked up, but others in his age group caught up to and some surpassed him with their physical growth & hockey development over the past 3-4 years.

Would Wise have benefited from another year in the USHL?

IMO Kurker coming to BU straight from SJP at age 18 was mistake for him & BU. He was very raw and definitely needed time playing in a league like the USHL prior to D-1.

Comment

Working...
                                X