This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

Wise was at one point basically touted as the "next" one following Eichel. Not saying he won't develop into a good player, just another in long line of cautionary recruiting tales.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
      Congrats for the BU Women sweeping a very good BC team.
      can we trade coaches? A loaded BC team again that spits up against any good team OR their big rivals.

Comment

• Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
        can we trade coaches? A loaded BC team again that spits up against any good team OR their big rivals.
        You rather they swallow
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Wise was at one point basically touted as the "next" one following Eichel. Not saying he won't develop into a good player, just another in long line of cautionary recruiting tales.
          I think he is BU’s Pineault more so than another Kurker.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I am not that worried about Wise. He looks significantly better than Bellows did, IMHO. He is making plays, controlling the puck, it just hasn't clicked for his yet. Bellows looked like he didn't belong at this level (similar for Kurker) - no ability to generate offense.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              He was an early commit after being named MVP of that Pee-Wee tourney in Quebec. At that time, and for the couple years that followed, he was thought to be a possible Top-5 pick. A second year at Central Catholic might no have been the best choice for his sophomore campaign, and it took him a little while to get things going on the U17s. Then on the U18s, he missed most of the first half of the season with his injury (collarbone, I think). But when he came back, he played well, among the tops on the team in Points Per Game. Maybe missing the games against D-1 last year made him less prepared for the competition level. But his stock continued to drop throughout, but his strong second half led to getting picked in the second round despite his smaller stature.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                What a time to be alive when UMass is Hockey East's best chance.
                Is NU really gonna win back-to-back Beanpots? 😁
                2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Someone mentioned BU and 5x5 goals this season. Here's what I see:

Minn St (1) - 2
                  Minn St (2) - 2
                  NU (1) - 3
                  NU (2) - 2
                  Maine (2) - 1
                  UConn - 2
                  Union - 1

Certainly, a downward trend.
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                    Someone mentioned BU and 5x5 goals this season. Here's what I see:

Minn St (1) - 2
                    Minn St (2) - 2
                    NU (1) - 3
                    NU (2) - 2
                    Maine (2) - 1
                    UConn - 2
                    Union - 1

Certainly, a downward trend.
                    6 goals in last 5 games. And last 3 losses are games where they've had ~40 SOG each and only have 3 goals to show for it.

Comment

While this BU team may be quicker, they're a small team lacking depth, physicality & ability to finish up front. I feel there may only be 4 forwards whom I'd consider legit top-6 guys (Bobo, Bowers, Farabee, Harper -- and his 0 goals). Cockerill, Amonte, Curry, Willman would all make nice 3rd liners, but have been pressed into 1st/2nd line roles at various points. Wise has top-6 skill/potential, but has mightily struggled adapting to D-1.

Farther down the depth chart, Quercia is a nice role player on 4th line. Chabot works/skates hard and is a high-character player, but lacks skill. Cheremeta is skilled, but is very much a work in progress without the puck. Cloonan shouldn't be on the team. DeBoer needed at least another 1-2 years; looks raw, awkward and out of place at this level right now.

Basically I feel BU has 10 legit D-1 forwards and the rest are perhaps better fit for AHA teams. This is where the attrition (early departure - Tkachuk, transfer - Crone, not getting admitted - Weiss, retirement - Tironese) have definitely impacted the depth up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                        While this BU team may be quicker, they're a small team lacking depth, physicality & ability to finish up front. I feel there may only be 4 forwards whom I'd consider legit top-6 guys (Bobo, Bowers, Farabee, Harper -- and his 0 goals). Cockerill, Amonte, Curry, Willman would all make nice 3rd liners, but have been pressed into 1st/2nd line roles at various points. Wise has top-6 skill/potential, but has mightily struggled adapting to D-1.

Farther down the depth chart, Quercia is a nice role player on 4th line. Chabot works/skates hard and is a high-character player, but lacks skill. Cheremeta is skilled, but is very much a work in progress without the puck. Cloonan shouldn't be on the team. DeBoer needed at least another 1-2 years; looks raw, awkward and out of place at this level right now.

Basically I feel BU has 10 legit D-1 forwards and the rest are perhaps better fit for AHA teams. This is where the attrition (early departure - Tkachuk, transfer - Crone, not getting admitted - Weiss, retirement - Tironese) have definitely impacted the depth up front.
                        Essentially, I agree with your assessment, if that means anything.

1. The 4 "legit" forwards you refer to have 12 goals among them. 2 of Bowers' 3 goals were scored in 1 game.

2. To state the obvious, the team misses Tkachuk and Greenway. They were tough in the one on one battles for the puck, and they got the puck to the front of the net. Bowers has been adversely affected by their absence, no?

3. As you say, Willman is a nice complementary player, but his presence on the PP stands out as a problem. Willman-Amonte-Cockerill makes for a nice third line, nothing more.

4. Did Crone transfer, or was he pushed out?

5. Do you have an assessment of the defensemen?
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                          Essentially, I agree with your assessment, if that means anything.

1. The 4 "legit" forwards you refer to have 12 goals among them. 2 of Bowers' 3 goals were scored in 1 game.

2. To state the obvious, the team misses Tkachuk and Greenway. They were tough in the one on one battles for the puck, and they got the puck to the front of the net. Bowers has been adversely affected by their absence, no?

3. As you say, Willman is a nice complementary player, but his presence on the PP stands out as a problem. Willman-Amonte-Cockerill makes for a nice third line, nothing more.

4. Did Crone transfer, or was he pushed out?

5. Do you have an assessment of the defensemen?
                          Greenway and Tkachuk made BU harder to defend & to play against. They're anything but right now.

I've heard Crone may have been asked to return to the USHL. But that the door was open for him to return (and he choseto transfer to Denver following this season). Similar to JJ Piccinich a few years ago, except JJP went to the OHL instead.

As for the D, I was a bit worried about depth given Hickey, MacLeod and Diffley graduated, and only 2 D were coming in. Neither Blixt nor Vidoli has stood out either way, although I had expected Blixt to perhaps make more of an impact as an older, bigger D-man with some skill.

I think Fabbro, Krys and Farrance are trying to do too much on their own at times. Not sure if its a byproduct of the system or if it stems from the lack of offense being generated in front of them. I've noticed Fabbro jumping deep into the attacking zone much more than he ever did the last 2 years.

Comment

Greenway and Tkachuk made BU harder to defend & to play against. They're anything but right now.

I've heard Crone may have been asked to return to the USHL. But that the door was open for him to return (and he choseto transfer to Denver following this season). Similar to JJ Piccinich a few years ago, except JJP went to the OHL instead.

As for the D, I was a bit worried about depth given Hickey, MacLeod and Diffley graduated, and only 2 D were coming in. Neither Blixt nor Vidoli has stood out either way, although I had expected Blixt to perhaps make more of an impact as an older, bigger D-man with some skill.

I think Fabbro, Krys and Farrance are trying to do too much on their own at times. Not sure if its a byproduct of the system or if it stems from the lack of offense being generated in front of them. I've noticed Fabbro jumping deep into the attacking zone much more than he ever did the last 2 years.
                            Blixt so far has been a disappointment. He's turning into the new Tom Morrow, big and slow with little physicality. He's a liability on the ice in many situations.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Greenway and Tkachuk made BU harder to defend & to play against.
                              This is a good point. That type of play and player (Greenway especially when he was ON) can totally change a game even after they get off the ice.

Nice Tom Morrow reference above. Forgot about him. Poor kid took a lot of crap. Those were the days... the fanboy movement was in absolute full swing right about then.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

The rivalry is still there after this weekend but strange that both BC and BU are no longer ranked or even in the bottom ranked teams

I suppose it’s nice to see someone else like UMass be on top from hockey east

How often do you see BC and BU this bad at the same time ?
                                NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Working...
                                X