This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    I'll take the over (by a tiny bit). As of this moment, there are dozens and dozens of tickets available on the Ticketmaster site.
    And the 3 sections they haven’t started selling yet. Anyway, I’ll be an optimist and take the over. It is still BU-BC. It is like Easter at church. It is the only game some fans go to all year.

Comment

• Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      It definitely was not full, but the games were very well attended. They bused in a lot of children from schools in the area for the games and they seemed to really enjoy themselves.

The enthusiasm that was heard on the broadcast, and the same enthusiasm from the locals in the arena, was much more a testament to their sheer joy for having four teams from the USA there. Those could've been four exhibition games between any four NCAA teams and I think everyone there and on the broadcast would've had the same level of enthusiasm.

For a city trying to promote itself as a tourist destination, after being considered one of the unsafest places in the world as recently as two decades ago, it was incredibly heartening to see how much respect and gratitude they had that teams and fans from the USA would visit their hometown and play in this tournament. That was palpable all weekend in the arena. The locals genuinely loved the sport of hockey, despite being so far removed from a high-level professional league. I was asked multiple times what it was like to see hockey in the US and told how much they follow the NHL and love it.

It was a phenomenal event and I'd 100% go back again if BU played in it. This kind of event is precisely the kind of "grow the game" thing hockey needs more of, not a gimmick event whatsoever.
      Though disappointed with the championship game loss, I will second this post. I liked Belfast more than Dublin. Our bus driver/tour guide was the best. I learned so much about the history and all the issues with Brexit, and as such, I am so glad we went this year as I'm not sure how they will be able to do the same trip next year. Maybe fly to and spend a few days in London before going to Belfast? The trouble may start back up there. I'd be a little nervous to head back.

Comment

Not surprised at the positive comments. I went when NU was there for the first one and had the time of my life. Looking forward to going back next year.

Just curious: Did BU sponsor an organized trip for fans and others outside of the "official party?" Or was everyone on their own?
        Last edited by Split-N; 11-27-2018, 08:43 AM.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          Not surprised at the positive comments. I went when NU was there for the first one and had the time of my life. Looking forward to going back next year.

Just curious: Did BU sponsor an organized trip for fans and others outside of the "official party?" Or was everyone on their own?
          No, there was a trip for fans of all four schools. I did that. Even though it was for all four schools, they kept everyone separate. A lot of people did their own. BU definitely had the biggest fan support out of the four schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
            And the 3 sections they haven’t started selling yet. Anyway, I’ll be an optimist and take the over. It is still BU-BC. It is like Easter at church. It is the only game some fans go to all year.
            I think I'll still take the over, but it is shocking how many tickets are available for this as of right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              No, there was a trip for fans of all four schools. I did that. Even though it was for all four schools, they kept everyone separate. A lot of people did their own. BU definitely had the biggest fan support out of the four schools.
              Scarlet you are an amazing fan of BU hockey. Sincere respect and admiration from this corner. I wish I could be more like you as a follower of the program for almost 40 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                On another note... has there been any word about the holiday skate this year?
                Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
                  yes. email was sent the other day, mookie saw 9/12/2018 limited to 100 on the ice at a time (assume not counting team ) usually stuff
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Assuming you are not a travel agent, was this a huge effort for you? It is never too soon for 'cats, Huskies, Tigers and Raiders to begin planning. Thanks.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Really enjoyed the trip to Belfast. Great time, and competitive games. Too bad Cloonan didn't actually score.

In the final, there was a group of local, young male fans cheering loudly for Union. I asked them why Union? They said it was because they were "Unionists!" So I asked them if a Catholic school can be unionists? They suddenly became very quiet.

And yes, I know ...

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        Assuming you are not a travel agent, was this a huge effort for you? It is never too soon for 'cats, Huskies, Tigers and Raiders to begin planning. Thanks.
                        Not at all. Cara Travel is the travel agency. They secured the hotels, planned all the tours, etc. There were two different ones - a tour that started in Dublin on Monday and left for Belfast on Wednesday and a less expensive option that started in Belfast on Wednesday. Transfers were included. Airfare was additional and according to others on the trip, the travel agency booked the flight. I did my own as I had to be in Dublin for work the week prior. The package price included hotel, all transfers, all tours, breakfast every morning and the Thanksgiving Banquet at the Titanic Belfast Museum (which was really nice). It also included the game tickets. I'm assuming your school will provide you with the same flyer with the info that we got last year. I will say given that Brexit is supposed to take effect in March, I do not know how they will do the same trip next year. We had no issues going into Northern Ireland but they may be putting the border back up. Wondering if next year the trip will start in London and then go to Belfast.

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
                          Hard to be too upset about the loss. If they can continue the high energy and fast pace for the vast majority of the game like they did tonight, I like their chances. They won’t always get robbed by an unconscious goalie.
                          I thought both games were played with a consistent intensity and passion and, while a win against Union would have done us a world of good in the rankings, if they continue to play at this level they'll be fine.

If the two (or maybe it was three) pipes in the first period against Union had scored, it would have been a very different game. And for the first time, I saw glimmers of hope for the play of Harper. Much more compete, good speed and some nice passing.

Let's not lose sight of being 15th on the strength of schedule (SOS) rankings. We've played much better teams than many of the other schools we care about and, while we haven't won as many as we'd liked to have, we've been close in most, with the exception of the Providence and Merrimack games. My hopes are still high. The BC weekend will be a major test for both teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Not at all. Cara Travel is the travel agency. They secured the hotels, planned all the tours, etc. There were two different ones - a tour that started in Dublin on Monday and left for Belfast on Wednesday and a less expensive option that started in Belfast on Wednesday. Transfers were included. Airfare was additional and according to others on the trip, the travel agency booked the flight. I did my own as I had to be in Dublin for work the week prior. The package price included hotel, all transfers, all tours, breakfast every morning and the Thanksgiving Banquet at the Titanic Belfast Museum (which was really nice). It also included the game tickets. I'm assuming your school will provide you with the same flyer with the info that we got last year. I will say given that Brexit is supposed to take effect in March, I do not know how they will do the same trip next year. We had no issues going into Northern Ireland but they may be putting the border back up. Wondering if next year the trip will start in London and then go to Belfast.
                            Even if they put up a hard border between the north and south again, there should be no worries about travel from the Republic to the north, I would think it would be like going from the US to Canada. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I had a great time there, did my trip for a week independently and saved a boatload of money compared to the Cara weeklong trip. Those kids on Friday were hilarious.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Food for thought...Brady Tkachuk has 9 goals in 14 games for the Sens. How much of a difference would he have made on this BU team if he returned?

For the record, I'm pleasantly surprised by how well his game has transitioned to the NHL at age 19. I strongly believed he made the wrong decision when he decided to leave BU and felt he really needed another year to further develop his game. Kinda glad to see I'm being proven wrong so far.

Comment

How did he not score more goals last year?

Comment

Working...
                                X