• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    first umass win at haa since 2012
    Agganis was relocated to Amherst?

Comment

• Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      Someone said last week that it looks like they are just hoping for lucky bounces (or something to that effect). After watching the last couple of games, they either don't have any plan to attack the net or they don't have the talent to carry it out. Either way, you see the results. It's not exactly "dump and suck," it's actually worse. A lot of throwing the puck forward or to open ice and "hoping" somebody gets there first.
      This is an excellent summary of their offense currently. I watched the game until it was 4-1, then fast forwarded through the rest. But other than the breakaways, the only real offense I saw other than on the PP was the minute or two after their PP goal. Their forecheck was creating chances.

Chad Krys had a shift for the ages by creating not one but two breakaways for UMass. The second one could not have been a better pass if it came from a Minuteman.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Agganis was relocated to Amherst?
        Mookie is on delay, dopey
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

“I think if we compete well, we’ll be fine,” said O’Connell about his team going forward. - from the Freep

Will they? #CompeteIsn'tTheProblem
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
            They are losing Carpenter and probably Oettinger and Fabbro, and maybe Bowers, Farrance, and Krys. Maybe even Farabee. They shouldn’t be this bad this year all excuses aside please. O’Connell hasn’t done a good job by almost any measure. They weren’t supposed to bottom out this year and they are headed that way.
            Where are they headed for the rest of the season? I'm giving Albie a pass until I find out.

BU basically has two second lines and two fourth lines -- when everyone is healthy. That shouldn't be.
            A lot of the offense is generated from the blue line, which leaves BU vulnerable on defense. Oettinger is having a better season that he is being given credit for.

As for the losses for next season ... Bobo graduates. Fabbro likely to go pro, and will be a big loss. Farrance is much improved, but isn't going anywhere. What would the Blackhawks do with Krys? He stays, and maybe, finally shows some consistency. Otherwise, he is nowhere near ready. Bowers isn't ready, either. Farabee is getting better and better, but I think he would be well-served by another year.
            Oettinger? Dallas doesn't need him yet. Do they view him as a flight-risk, and want to tie-him-up? If not, he could be back.

Will we see Purpura in goal for the Beanpot consolation? I doubt Prawdzilla sees the ice again for BU.

Comment

have been a long time reader of these boards and haven't commented in a while... There are so many passionate BU Hockey Fans which is great!! and I think everyone makes some great points and I sort of look at the status of this program from both a Macro and Micro level.

From the micro-technical level I believe so many points that have been made on this board are accurate and fall into these general categories. 1) Lack of D zone discipline and proper coverage 2) Seemingly no real breakout with everyone looking to create something one on one 3) Very little creativity in the offensive zone with a lot of stagnancy and all too often looking for the perfect play.

While it took Quinn some time to figure it all out I believe there is much more talent on this team then what Quinn had when he took over the program. We have enough talent on this team to be better and that is evidenced by a string of "almost" games (Qunnipiac, first UMass game, NU at beanpot etc..) which were all close and had we won or not tied in those instances we would have a much better story to tell. I believe the team has had enough talent and absolutely outstanding Goaltending from Oettinger this year. By far his best work as he is facing an incredible amount of shots and high quality shots more than he ever has.

All these issues and problems and struggles the team has had are symptoms of a larger pathology.

There was no greater advocate than myself for Albie getting the job I felt it was well deserved (not that my 2 cents meant that much in the grand scheme of things lol) . Albie is a wonderful human being, has a great hockey intelligence and is a hell of a recruiter. It might be (and I too feel he deserves at least one more crack at this but who knows) that not everyone is cut out to be a head coach. I think if I had to put my finger on one thing that is an overriding issue on this team it would be a lack of passion a lack of fire a lack of urgency and a lack of structure. While many of us are at these games and watching intently I also watch other things watch the bench, look who is the one standing and yelling and screaming , look who the players look to when the come for a time out it generally and most often is not Albie but rather Paul Pearl. I think its clear that there is something missing there. This then of course presents itself to on ice things as well. I think they can teach defensive structure, a break out , etc... But when there isn't structure and accountability it is hard to have that permeate throughout the team. In addition when fire and passion dont come from the coach (and he doesn't have to break walls) then that too doesn't come through in this team. Individually there is plenty of talent on this team (and yes Bobo's loss hurts us but this has been a problem long before Bobo's injury) while maybe not the dominant teams of years gone by there is still plenty here and plenty in the pipeline. However I think the culture that maybe had been put in place while Quinn was here has maybe gotten a little lost. No we didn't win a national championship while Quinn was here , yes he had a rough start too , yes our PP wasn't great with all the talent we had but there always seemed to be a plan and structure and I dont see that at the moment. It can very possibly be that you can have a great hockey IQ , be a great recruiter, a really wonderful person but maybe not head coach material. Maybe Albie can grow into it and that is my hope but I don't know if that will be the case we shall see...

As for those leaving.... Outside of Fabbro I am not sure players are running to leave nor are the teams going to force them to leave even with the fear of looming FA. I think a lot of the players and even teams so what happened when you pressure a player to leave early who was not ready to do so -- JFK and have learned some lessons. Quinn always said better to stay another year in college (well at the time he was coaching) then to ride the buses of the AHL Or ECHL

I agree with previous posts in that Oettinger has nowhere to go in Dallas at the moment and will likely stay, Krys I hope stays but am unsure Chicago doesn't have great fondness for BU, Harper surely should stay he needs to fully recover and its clear he is still not himself 100 percent. You dont play hockey for as long as he didn't and just expect to magically come back it takes time but the kid works so hard. I hope and think Farabee will stay but Philly has been pushing a lot of guys up before their times but hopefully lessons learned... I think Bowers does go... I am hopeful that the BU magic re recruiting doesn't get affected that much and our commits come as they are supposed to. Zegras is a stud... As we are all supporters of this team what I can say as well is that the overall facility while at the time was top of the line has now fallen back a little and many other programs have passed us by and it could certainly use an upgrade... to continue helping with the recruiting process
              Last edited by ColinWilsonFan; 02-10-2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                Not sure why some are encouraged by “more talent “ (2 forwards) coming in next year. They are losing Carpenter and probably Oettinger and Fabbro, and maybe Bowers, Farrance, and Krys. Maybe even Farabee. They shouldn’t be this bad this year all excuses aside please. O’Connell hasn’t done a good job by almost any measure. Close losses at home is what he is getttng credit for. They weren’t supposed to bottom out this year and they are headed that way.

The team isn’t doing great, but you sound like they haven’t won a game all year. Also, why does other people’s optimist **** you off so much? Anytime anyone says anything complimentary or optimistic you jump in with doom and gloom. Cheer up, old man!
                It's just as serious as you're willing to take it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Puck It View Post
                  The team isn’t doing great, but you sound like they haven’t won a game all year. Also, why does other people’s optimist **** you off so much? Anytime anyone says anything complimentary or optimistic you jump in with doom and gloom. Cheer up, old man!
                  Haha “old man” is that the snowflake’s latest micro aggression. Grow up and start accomplishing something in your life before you start getting up on your high horse nitwit.
                  Last edited by Jofa; 02-10-2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                    Where are they headed for the rest of the season? I'm giving Albie a pass until I find out.

BU basically has two second lines and two fourth lines -- when everyone is healthy. That shouldn't be.
                    A lot of the offense is generated from the blue line, which leaves BU vulnerable on defense. Oettinger is having a better season that he is being given credit for.

As for the losses for next season ... Bobo graduates. Fabbro likely to go pro, and will be a big loss. Farrance is much improved, but isn't going anywhere. What would the Blackhawks do with Krys? He stays, and maybe, finally shows some consistency. Otherwise, he is nowhere near ready. Bowers isn't ready, either. Farabee is getting better and better, but I think he would be well-served by another year.
                    Oettinger? Dallas doesn't need him yet. Do they view him as a flight-risk, and want to tie-him-up? If not, he could be back.

Will we see Purpura in goal for the Beanpot consolation? I doubt Prawdzilla sees the ice again for BU.
                    I would stick the new goalie in a few times the rest of the year so he can hit the ground running next year. This year has been a complete waste so far so let’s atleast see if they can develop a player or two.
                    Of course you can’t fire Albie after one year I think 3 is the minimum and hopefully he doesn’t set the program back during his reign.

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                      I would stick the new goalie in a few times the rest of the year so he can hit the ground running next year. This year has been a complete waste so far so let’s atleast see if they can develop a player or two.
                      Of course you can’t fire Albie after one year I think 3 is the minimum and hopefully he doesn’t set the program back during his reign.
                      Tomorrow is the perfect opportunity- Game means nothing to BU but very important for Harvard to get at large bid
                      The goal for rest of year is to win enough games to be in top four for playoffs
                      Of all the contending teams probably have the easiest schedule

No update on Carpenter?

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                        No update on Carpenter?
                        No specific info, but I'd be surprised to see him again this season.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                          Haha “old man” is that the snowflake’s latest micro aggression. Grow up and start accomplishing something in your life before you start getting up on your high horse nitwit.
                          Thank you for proving my point. Also you seem to be the one getting offended, so doesn’t that make you a snowflake...?
                          It's just as serious as you're willing to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                            No update on Carpenter?
                            From WTBU Sports
                            The Terriers are facing a ranked opponent for the sixth game in a row, and this will be their fifth straight game without captain Bobo Carpenter, who could be out for another week, according to O’Connell, after being “roughed up” in a Jan. 25 win over No. 12 Arizona State.
                            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                              From WTBU Sports The Terriers are facing a ranked opponent for the sixth game in a row, and this will be their fifth straight game without captain Bobo Carpenter, who could be out for another week, according to O’Connell, after being “roughed up” in a Jan. 25 win over No. 12 Arizona State.
                              Does "roughed up" = concussion?
                              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

So....a .500 (at best) team is chock full of guys who are going to go pro? No offense but when I watch the team play I'm not seeing too much in the way of NHL talent out there. I can see 1 or 2 guys but Krys for example? Okay.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X