Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 2018-19 - Let's shuffle off to Buffalo

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
    He kicked a guy prone on the ice, and you're blaming Tyler Welsh for "provoking" him?

I have no dog in this fight, and I didn't see it as bad as LT did, but it was a dirty play, and he deserves supplemental discipline. How much I can't say, but that certainly was nobody's fault but Priskie's. I don't see him as a dirty player at all...but this was clearly a pretty awful decision on his part.

I definitely wholeheartedly agree with LT on one thing, though: I Welsh is OK.
    I just saw the replay ... if we see Priskie before the NCAA Tournament, we should consider ourselves lucky. That was an incredibly dangerous moment and I hope Welsh needed nothing more than a few stitches. There's no excuse for what Priskie did.
    Last edited by ZYanksRule; 03-02-2019, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank81 View Post
      Let’s keep the drama to minimum. Fun rivalry. Hockey a rough game lots of chirping and away from the puck BS. Last several years players on Q have been concussed during home and away.. Yale and Q famous for away from the puck BS...Priske a class act must have been provoked. Player was holding his arm leaving ice. Go back to watching swimming
      It wasn't his arm he was holding. He had a towel up near his face/neck area. Awful moment from Priskie that will definitely bring supplemental discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
        I just saw the replay ... if we see Priskie before the NCAA Tournament, we should consider ourselves lucky. That was an incredibly dangerous moment and I hope Walsh needed nothing more than a few stitches. There's no excuse for what Priskie did.
        You might want to edit to Welsh, Walsh was not injured. Both play for Yale.
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
          You might want to edit to Welsh, Walsh was not injured. Both play for Yale.
          I'm sorry -- obviously I'm not familiar with the Yale roster.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
            I just saw the replay
            Just watched it myself. Priske definitely made a poor decision but it looked to me like Welsh got hurt when he initially hit the ice, prior to the kick. He fell pretty hard and it looked like he was grabbing for his face just prior to Priske's action. Doesn't excuse Chase, and I'm not positive that's what happened... just interpreting what I saw in watching the replay a dozen or so times. And it clearly all started because Welsh clubbed Shortridge a time or two after the whistle.

And I'll say again that I hope Welsh is ok.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I will say that the team really responded after the Priske incident. The 5 minute kill was phenomenal allowing only 3 shots, and they even managed to put a pair on Tucker as well. Then they score a couple of minutes after the penalty was over to put the game away. That could have easily turned the game around with Yale only down by 2, but they dug deep and got the job done.
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              Northeast Regional:

Comment

Really irresponsible play from Priskie. I expect he will be suspended for a while and he will deserve it. I seriously hope the Yale player is ok.

This comment is just plain dumb:
                Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                QU wonders why they lack respect in the league, it's because of goon moves like this. Great Captain ya got there.
                I have watched for years as Cornell, SLU & and yes - YALE taking runs and cheap shots. Guess what - they are kids and they make really poor snap decisions sometimes. I certainly do not condone it - and any punishment due to those poor decisions is well warranted. But to insinuate that this is what the QU program is known for or fosters, is seriously one of the most ridiculous things I have read here.

Comment

• Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  It was a chippy game both ways, I didn’t see any QU jerseys in the back of an ambulance tonight. Thanks for everyones concern about the injured player BTW.
                  I was happy to read in the USCHO game of the week post that Welsh was taken to the dressing room and did return to the game. Glad to hear he was OK.

Comment

• Originally posted by toogees View Post
                    Really irresponsible play from Priskie. I expect he will be suspended for a while and he will deserve it. I seriously hope the Yale player is ok.
                    He was back in the ice later to n the period.

Comment

Whatever Chase gets, he deserves. I think the blood on the ice made the situation look worse than it was but it was still a dumb move. The only replay Yale/ESPN had was from center ice and from that view it didn’t look like he kicked him in the face or head. But he still needs to pay. This probably also cost him Hobey Hatrick consideration. I can see a lot of “character” votes going elsewhere now. Too bad, he’s a great player and person who made a really bad decision. Regardless of the opponent, playing without 2 Sr Defense (3 without Fortunato) will be a tough hill to climb.

Comment

I've watched the replay numerous times this morning. As best as I can tell, Welsh, after whacking Shortridge after the whistle (Feola can clearly be seen with the whistle in his mouth), get's a facefull of Priske and a cross-check from behind (Jermain?). At the same time, Welsh's feet are tied up in Shorty's stick and he falls, face first, to the ice. The impact was clearly to his face/side of the head, and his feet are shoulder high. It looks to me like he immediately goes for his face as the pushing and shoving continues. The kick comes after he his prone on the ice and appears to be into his mid-section, not the head/face area. If he had an injury above the shoulder, it did not come from the kick (and I think this is an important fact when considering supplemental discipline). Even the Yale announcers talked during the review delay about the dangers of wearing a full face shield as opposed to a cage-type mask.

To be totally honest (and, again, I'm not condoning any kicking action), Priske does make contact with his skate, but he didn't cock his leg prior to doing so. I'm not saying it wasn't a kick, but it certainly didn't look to be an intentionally dirty move on Chase's part. Let's be honest, he's one of the cleanest playing D-men we've ever had at Quinnipiac.

Also, the fact that Welsh came back into the game later that period tells me that A) he was not seriously cut by a skate blade, and B) didn't take any ride in an ambulance, as if he did he would not have returned to the ice.
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        Northeast Regional:

Comment

• Originally posted by Turk View Post
                          I was happy to read in the USCHO game of the week post that Welsh was taken to the dressing room and did return to the game. Glad to hear he was OK.
                          Sorry for any misinformation on my part concerning transport, Someone on the Yale side texted me that he was sent out, glad all players got out of the game fairly unscathed.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by QUFan View Post
                            . This probably also cost him Hobey Hatrick consideration. I can see a lot of “character” votes going elsewhere now. Too bad, he’s a great player and person who made a really bad decision. .
                            I agree this probably cost him Hobey consideration as Priskie won't be able to add to his point total especially if QU doesn't escape their opening round of the ECAC tourney. WIll aslo likely cost him some "character" points with some of the voters. More importantly his loss could be huge in national tournament seeding. If they go on a run they could be looking at a number one seed. A first round loss in ECAC and they could drop to a 3rd seed.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                              I've watched the replay numerous times this morning. As best as I can tell, Welsh, after whacking Shortridge after the whistle (Feola can clearly be seen with the whistle in his mouth), get's a facefull of Priske and a cross-check from behind (Jermain?). At the same time, Welsh's feet are tied up in Shorty's stick and he falls, face first, to the ice. The impact was clearly to his face/side of the head, and his feet are shoulder high. It looks to me like he immediately goes for his face as the pushing and shoving continues. The kick comes after he his prone on the ice and appears to be into his mid-section, not the head/face area. If he had an injury above the shoulder, it did not come from the kick (and I think this is an important fact when considering supplemental discipline). Even the Yale announcers talked during the review delay about the dangers of wearing a full face shield as opposed to a cage-type mask.

To be totally honest (and, again, I'm not condoning any kicking action), Priske does make contact with his skate, but he didn't cock his leg prior to doing so. I'm not saying it wasn't a kick, but it certainly didn't look to be an intentionally dirty move on Chase's part. Let's be honest, he's one of the cleanest playing D-men we've ever had at Quinnipiac.

Also, the fact that Welsh came back into the game later that period tells me that A) he was not seriously cut by a skate blade, and B) didn't take any ride in an ambulance, as if he did he would not have returned to the ice.
                              I was at the game and on the other side of the rink from the view you get from ESPN. As the play happened I saw Shortidge go down to cover the puck followed by the whistle blow and then the Yale Player go towards Shortridge (don't know if he made contact) and all hell broke loose and the next thing I know Germain is standing over the Yale Player.

I'm not condoning Priskies actions but I just watched the replay a few times and agree it appears the kick is to the midsection and cant see how a injury to the head or neck resulted from it. Priske deserves whatever the league gives him hopefully not more than a game or 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post

Mark, I think you are spot on all points. Also, if NCAA and ECAC review tape, I hope they review the entire game. The Refs own some responsibility for what that game turned into. Priske is responsible for his actions, but it was clear Yale came into the game, as the announcers stated, trying to be physical and chippy and get into QU’s heads, and in that, they succeeded. If a few more after whistle calls were made earlier in the game, perhaps the fiasco it turned into later doesn’t happen.

Hopefully both Chase and Luke only get a game. Not sure if NCAA operates this way, but perhaps their suspensions will be sequential and not coincide. Probably only wishful thinking on my part.

However, if they succeed in getting to Lake Placid down Fortunato, Priske and Shiplo for all or part of the QTRs, that would say a lot about their character and also give us a nice sneak peek into the future. Can’t wait for the 16th. Let’s Go Q!

Comment

Working...
                                X