Here are my 2 cents on this season and this last weekend for what its worth.
- There are very few that thought this team would be where they are today. I think the preseason poll had us somewhere between 6-8 place and the ECAC pick the final standings thread has us at an average of 6th. We are doing better than anyone thought.
- We are not as bad as some think if we were we could never have beat UMass or Cornell or any number of other teams. But yes we have issues. We have played better out of conference, we have played better away than home and if we play both Friday and Saturday the Saturday game is usually a bit of a mess.
- We have a tough time with teams that have a aggressive forecheck we have serious problems getting out of our own zone. This has cost us quite a few games. Our guys are almost always looking for the pass up and if they cant find it they just bang it up the boards. If a team has a good forecheck they should just sit one guy in the center on the blueline we will cough it up. Rafferty has done that o numerous occasions trying to go across ice and has led to several goals. This is where we are missing Fortunato when he would get in a bad situation he had the skating and puck handling ability to bring it up ice. Saturday night I noticed that Cukste was playing a more offensive game than he usually does maybe trying to make up for Fortunatos loss.
- Honestly I think it will take a little more time but they will work it out. I'm glad we have Brown on Friday as I think at this point they are a stronger team than Yale who we play Saturday. Our guys always get up for the Yale game. But either way if we wind up in 5th place and having to play St Lawrence that might not be such a bad thing.
- I think we will make it Lake placid. I dont how far we will get there or in the NCAA but I think we have a shot at doing well.