Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
    Thing is as much as the penalty hurt I still think our disappearence the last 2 ncaas in the 2nd and 3rd periods is a bigger issue. We had a 3 goal lead. And blew it. Even if they dont call the major I saw nothing from them indicating that we might win. What do we want to say is the issue? Because at 0-5 this doesn't say much for Hastings and getting this team ready. I say that as a huge Hastings supporter
    Hastings seems like a really good coach but I think its fair to ask why this team seems to falter in the Tournament at the worst possible times. I don’t buy the “overrated” monicker Twitterverse is claiming as this is a top-quality roster from top to bottom. I’m also not buying the bs claim by some MSU fans that somehow the nWCHA is weak and therefore to blame. You can’t go up 3-0 and collapse, only to blame “weak conference opponents” as the explanation for giving up 6 unanswered goals. That is quite pathetic.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

Originally posted by CKrouth View Post
      Hastings seems like a really good coach but I think its fair to ask why this team seems to falter in the Tournament at the worst possible times. I don’t buy the “overrated” monicker Twitterverse is claiming as this is a top-quality roster from top to bottom. I’m also not buying the bs claim by some MSU fans that somehow the nWCHA is weak and therefore to blame. You can’t go up 3-0 and collapse, only to blame “weak conference opponents” as the explanation for giving up 6 unanswered goals. That is quite pathetic.
      Very well said and I couldn't agree more. I think Hastings record in winner take all games is like 10 - 8. We won a holiday tournament once and would win and lose at the North Star Cup but the 0-6 at the NCAAs is just something that I think has to make you wonder a bit about his ability to get this team ready to play and in game changes. At 0-6 and you have been outscored 7 to 17 (I think) You are the coach of the largest college hockey upset based on pairwise and have been outscored 8 to 0 in periods 2/3 the last two years. Thats not a great resume.
      I do wonder though if our conference play doesn't create some over confidence as our ability to hold leads and other teams ability to counter attack. There was some plays yesterday that the mavs did that created offense for Providence and Im not sure if teams in the WCHA are as skilled to make those plays. I don't know. Its all very frustrating especially because losing to Prov or UMD isn't necessarily bad but its the way they lost that's been so baffling. Make no sense. At this point it can only get worse if we get a 4 goal lead..........

Thats the script for 2020. 4 goal lead after 2 and lose.
      All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

While this is a disappointing finish to the season, I think there were a lot of positives to the season, and to the future. Assuming nobody turns pro early, we will lose only one regular player (Coatta), and have what I've been led to believe a really good bunch coming in next season.

The bitter pill to swallow is the 0-6 record in the NCAA. No matter what people say, whether or not it has been mentioned in the locker room (I doubt that it has), it gets in the players heads, and subconsciously, I believe it is affecting their play. This is where Hastings has to figure out how to right this ship. I have all the confidence in the world that he can.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
          This is where Hastings has to figure out how to right this ship. I have all the confidence in the world that he can.
          Don't you think after last year he should have righted the ship?
          When do we lose confidence to that he can right the ship? 0-7 0-8?
          All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
            What a joke. We didn't look like a 1 seed should especially on penalty kill. All the criticism of us is warranted. I'd love the say that the team I saw today is not the team I watched all year and it's true but what does it matter. We are now 0-6.

Maybe that's the banner we should hang up 0-6 in ncaas
            PC just snuck in because BC couldn’t beat NU in the hockey east tournament

In the quarter finals BC best PC 2 games to one in 3 tough games

That assessed major was the killer as PC broke the 3-3 tie with 2 more power play goals
            NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

I'm sorry to butt in, but PC is a lot like BG and honestly, you should have lost to them 3 times instead of two. So you were behind the 8 ball really before the game even started. Those types of team gave you trouble all year apparently given the score vs ASU. PC is not extraordinarily skilled. And didn't you already play Duluth this year?
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaCat View Post
                What he said.

I went to an Admirals hockey game there in the early 80's. It has been recently renovated.

Facility website. https://uwmilwaukeepantherarena.com/
                Nice venue. Close to many college hockey schools that are within driving distance. I would like to see a team bid for that arena. Maybe Tech could look into it sometime in the future. I know they hosted a couple of them in Green Bay. Going another 100 miles south wouldn't seem to be that big of a deal if it was available during regional play. I don't consider Pennsylvania as being a mid-west site for the tournament.
                MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  I'm sorry to butt in, but PC is a lot like BG and honestly, you should have lost to them 3 times instead of two. So you were behind the 8 ball really before the game even started. Those types of team gave you trouble all year apparently given the score vs ASU. PC is not extraordinarily skilled. And didn't you already play Duluth this year?
                  I would have to agree

I watch PC all the time when they play BC

Mavs got muscled by the Friars after falling behind 3-0
                  NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
                    Nice venue. Close to many college hockey schools that are within driving distance. I would like to see a team bid for that arena. Maybe Tech could look into it sometime in the future. I know they hosted a couple of them in Green Bay. Going another 100 miles south wouldn't seem to be that big of a deal if it was available during regional play. I don't consider Pennsylvania as being a mid-west site for the tournament.
                    Obviously I would love to see it there too, as it would be a simple 45 minute drive for me to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                      Don't you think after last year he should have righted the ship?
                      When do we lose confidence to that he can right the ship? 0-7 0-8?
                      I'm more than a little stunned that people seem to think that Hastings should be in jeopardy. How soon we forget how it used to be.
                      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                        I'm more than a little stunned that people seem to think that Hastings should be in jeopardy. How soon we forget how it used to be.
                        I'm not advocating him being let go or even slightly in jeopardy. He's a great coach because I remember all to well how rough our seasons were but just because he elevated our program to new heights does that mean he doesn't deserve criticism? I love what he has done for us but 0-6 doesn't warrent a few questions? Especially as to how we lost in the last 3.

I'm simply asking at what point do start to lose that confidence because mine is shaken in him a bit. I'm not nearly at "fire him" but im not nearly as positive that he can get us to the frozen four. 3/4 years ago I had 100% faith he'd get us there
                        Last edited by MavsFan19; 04-01-2019, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                          I'm not advocating him being let go or even slightly in jeopardy. He's a great coach because I remember all to well how rough our seasons were but just because he elevated our program to new heights does that mean he doesn't deserve criticism? I love what he has done for us but 0-6 doesn't warrent a few questions? Especially as to how we lost in the last 3.

I'm simply asking at what point do start to lose that confidence because mine is shaken in him a bit. I'm not nearly at "fire him" but im not nearly as positive that he can get us to the frozen four. 3/4 years ago I had 100% faith he'd get us there
                          It's going to take a lot more losses before i'm anything less than 100% sure we have the right coach.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                            It's going to take a lot more losses before i'm anything less than 100% sure we have the right coach.
                            I'm right there with you. Hastings has won at every level that he's been at. He will get us there. I wonder if there may be some adjustment to the recruiting strategy though. I love the guys that we have, but there is one significant flaw in the teams that we've had. The teams that we continually struggle against are those that are built like BG and PC. They are tight checking teams that play a heavy game. We struggle if we ever get behind to teams like that. We have a style that we can play and play very well, but if those teams can get us down a goal (or don't change their style when we get up on them) we struggle badly. It happened against RIT. It happened against BG this year. It happened against PC this weekend. We lose the ability to dictate the style of play against those teams. We can do it in conference against teams that aren't as talented, but can we do it against teams that have more talent?

I'm certain that Mike will get this straightened out and my confidence in him has not been shaken a bit. I think the natural shift in recruiting is that we end up going after more high end and younger players. I think we will always be an older team that has leadership ability. Now we seem to need to add that one or two players that can throw the team on their back and get a goal when necessary.
                            Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Just watching the game as a fan, I was very surprised that when PC scored most of their power play goals, they kept running the same back-door play - and Minn. State never adjusted. Don't know if they are simply a "this is what we do" and "who we are" and they don't really make adjustments, but found the lack of in-game strategy/adjustments surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
                                Just watching the game as a fan, I was very surprised that when PC scored most of their power play goals, they kept running the same back-door play - and Minn. State never adjusted. Don't know if they are simply a "this is what we do" and "who we are" and they don't really make adjustments, but found the lack of in-game strategy/adjustments surprising.
                                No, that was break down after break down after break down. I didn't see that happen all year.

In all honesty (and this legitimately isn't an argument about regional sites, it's about what I think happened), PC got the game to within two and we had the disallowed goal. You could feel the momentum changing and, although I wasn't there, I'm sure the feeling in the building was the same. Knowing that this team doesn't make those mistakes often, I think it got in their heads. I dont' think it was coaching, I think it was a bunch of guys that just got shaken and made uncharacteristic mistakes.
                                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Working...
                                X