Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    In fairness, not getting the super high draft pick to commit to your school isn't just a Mavs thing. In the last 10 or so years, I can only recall 3 top 5 picks who were either at college or about to enroll at the time of the draft - Eichel, a #2 pick, and B. Tkachuk and C. Makar at #4. Guys in that rarified air know they have a shot to play in the NHL right away so they don't come to college. And apparently you have to be a Massachusetts school to have a shot at them.

But yes, a first or 2nd round pick would be nice.
    This was probably the biggest factor in my comment — it’s a young man’s league now, and the NHL’s top prospects enter very early.

I could see the Mavs landing a first or second round draft choice, just not #1 overall (like Jack Hughes) or really even in the top 10.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      This was probably the biggest factor in my comment — it’s a young man’s league now, and the NHL’s top prospects enter very early.

I could see the Mavs landing a first or second round draft choice, just not #1 overall (like Jack Hughes) or really even in the top 10.
      True. I dug through the drafts a little bit, and it's normal to have 5 or 6 NCAA commits go in the first round (0 in the 2013 draft, but 11 in 2016). Most stay at least 2 years, although that 2016 class is already down to Fabbro and Tufte. I think managing the early turnover at a BU-type program would be difficult, but it would be nice to be able to occasionally get that difference maker (or "difference Makar" as the case is this year)

Comment

• Personally I feel like the fact we have been having some luck getting guys signed early benefits us more. U of M had all those high picks and did nothing with them. Many times they just arent what people think. But if you build a track record of developing players who get signed that will get you a lot of good to great players who were over looked.
        Plus let's be honest WCHA isnt the best selling point. If we were in NCHC we would probably have some better luck with some skaters.

Anyone know anything on Tuomies injury. We need him back and healthy
        All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
          Personally I feel like the fact we have been having some luck getting guys signed early benefits us more. U of M had all those high picks and did nothing with them. Many times they just arent what people think. But if you build a track record of developing players who get signed that will get you a lot of good to great players who were over looked.
          Plus let's be honest WCHA isnt the best selling point. If we were in NCHC we would probably have some better luck with some skaters.

Anyone know anything on Tuomies injury. We need him back and healthy
          I agree Hastings and the staff develop players very well. All I’m wondering is what if they had that blue chipper recruit and developed them into an Elite 2 way player. Recruits should see how they develop and give MSU a solid chance. We do need to move to NCHC after this year!! As a season ticket holder I’m always trying to see what recruits are visiting.

Comment

• Well a split.. we played well Sat I thought just didnt finish like we needed to. Credit LSSU for clogging up the passing lanes but geesh I'm not sure they even tried to do anything offensively the final 2 periods. It's my only arguement for leaving the WCHA is teams playing this sluggish defensive hockey. Effective but awful to watch.

Could really use a sweep next weekend
            All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Comment

I'm going to sound just like all the other whiny ******** after a loss, but man, did Lake State get away with a lot of holding and interference all night. Anderson spent half the night hitting guys who were nowhere near the puck.
              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Well a split.. we played well Sat I thought just didnt finish like we needed to. Credit LSSU for clogging up the passing lanes but geesh I'm not sure they even tried to do anything offensively the final 2 periods. It's my only arguement for leaving the WCHA is teams playing this sluggish defensive hockey. Effective but awful to watch.

Could really use a sweep next weekend
                LSSU played really aggressively on Friday and paid for it giving up breakaways. On Saturday they changed their gameplan with the lead, and it worked.

Comment

• Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                  LSSU played really aggressively on Friday and paid for it giving up breakaways. On Saturday they changed their gameplan with the lead, and it worked.
                  It workef but it makes hard to watch. Can a fan honestly say that style is fun to watch even if their team wins? MSU had some years in WCHA where we were awful but we attacked. Ultimately we just have to learn how to beat teams playing that style. Last night game is one of those that I watch and think if I could add one rule to hockey it would be that if you iced the puck a # of times in 1 period you get a delay of game penalty.

Comment

It workef but it makes hard to watch. Can a fan honestly say that style is fun to watch even if their team wins? MSU had some years in WCHA where we were awful but we attacked. Ultimately we just have to learn how to beat teams playing that style. Last night game is one of those that I watch and think if I could add one rule to hockey it would be that if you iced the puck a # of times in 1 period you get a delay of game penalty.
                    As my daughter said, “Bemidji’s uniforms look sorta blue tonight.”

But, it worked. We have to execute better. On to next week!

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                      As my daughter said, “Bemidji’s uniforms look sorta blue tonight.”

But, it worked. We have to execute better. On to next week!
                      Definitely took a page out of BSU’s book, and LSSU did what it needed to do to win the hockey game. Gotta give them credit.

Frustrating to watch the Mavs struggle like that though — they need to execute opportunities in games like that, or the tourney will have the same results we’ve seen for years.
                      AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                        Definitely took a page out of BSU’s book, and LSSU did what it needed to do to win the hockey game. Gotta give them credit.

Frustrating to watch the Mavs struggle like that though — they need to execute opportunities in games like that, or the tourney will have the same results we’ve seen for years.
                        Any steam of MSU going to join NCHC with ASU next year? Would help Mavericks with recruiting but mostly overall pace of play. WCHA is holding, grabbing n slow pace hockey. NCHC fits Hastings coaching style a lot better.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAVS21 View Post
                          Any steam of MSU going to join NCHC with ASU next year? Would help Mavericks with recruiting but mostly overall pace of play. WCHA is holding, grabbing n slow pace hockey. NCHC fits Hastings coaching style a lot better.
                          I dont see it happening but who knows. BG wants to leave wcha. I feel like at some point there will be another shake up.

We do need to learn how to beat teams who play defensive. RIT did it. Bemidji and others. You have to find a way.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                            A lot of teams play this way because they have to. Bemidji has done it for years. Wisconsin during the Eaves era was notorious for playing like that. Teams that aren't stacked with offensive talent have no other choice. They're not going to put up 3+ goals regularly so they are forced to play more of an NHL-trap style game. The Wild did this for years under Lemaire too. It can be effective but I totally agree, its unbearable to watch sometimes.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAVS21 View Post
                              I’ve heard the goal is 3-5 years — to be honest, I’m in believe it when I see it mode now. Everyone is aware the Mavs will jump at any chance they can to join the NCHC. The University operates the hockey program to NCHC member standards. The key is, what does the NCHC gain by adding MSU and ASU? They’ve won the last 4 national titles as a conference, with three teams doing so. SCSU has been fantastic as well over that stretch. The conference tournament (while not WCHA Final Five money) is making money. Also, there’s an exit fee to the NCHC which would make it difficult for WMU or Miami to leave the conference, if they even want to.

I personally believe it’s just a matter of time until we see the Mavs in the NCHC — I just don’t know when or what dominos fall to allow it to happen.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see UND join the Big Ten and the Mavs join the NCHC in there place — I don’t think it would be great for the NCHC, but they may not have a choice.
                              AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                                A lot of teams play this way because they have to. Bemidji has done it for years. Wisconsin during the Eaves era was notorious for playing like that. Teams that aren't stacked with offensive talent have no other choice. They're not going to put up 3+ goals regularly so they are forced to play more of an NHL-trap style game. The Wild did this for years under Lemaire too. It can be effective but I totally agree, its unbearable to watch sometimes.
                                I’m never going to bash a team for playing a certain style they deem best positions them for success — sure, a coach needs to run a program to put butts in the seats, dollar win the fundraising jar, etc. but that is done first and foremost by winning hockey games — people support winners, even if their style may not be the most entertaining.
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X