Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
    So it looks like Providence will again be rewarded for being a #4 seed by being placed in the East Regional, and play at "Home" for attendance reasons, even though they are not hosting. The committee has virtually nothing to do this year. Everything falls neatly into place. The 1 seed will play 16, 2 will play 15, 3 will play 14 (MSU vs. Providence), etc.

I have an idea that I wish the committee would strongly consider. Completely flip the Midwest (Allentown) Regional with the East (Providence) regional. My understanding is UMD will be placed in the Allentown Regional because they are the #2 seed and they are closer to Allentown than Providence. Makes sense, although many times we have heard that "a flight is a flight", so it wouldn't make any difference to UMD or MSU where they fly. Every opponent would be the same, only the venue would change.

Teams play all season to be a top seed and/or to win their conference (in the WCHA and the BIG to get home ice throughout the conference playoffs). In our case if last nights game was played in Bowling Green, all other things being equal, we do not win that game. Our SRO crowd helped gave the Mavericks the boost needed to tie the game and subsequently win in overtime. We earned that right to play at home. Providence has earned the right to be in the NCAA, but nothing more. Obviously as a Maverick fan, I am biased, but I also thought it was wrong in 2015 to have Providence play at "home".
    It’s a broken system, no doubt about it, but maybe that’ll be the environment that finally lets the Mavs get it done. Last year there were over 1000 of us in attendance and it didn’t matter, for example.

If you want to be considered a legit contender annually, win games in the Tournament, no excuses.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
      So it looks like Providence will again be rewarded for being a #4 seed by being placed in the East Regional, and play at "Home" for attendance reasons, even though they are not hosting. The committee has virtually nothing to do this year. Everything falls neatly into place. The 1 seed will play 16, 2 will play 15, 3 will play 14 (MSU vs. Providence), etc.

I have an idea that I wish the committee would strongly consider. Completely flip the Midwest (Allentown) Regional with the East (Providence) regional. My understanding is UMD will be placed in the Allentown Regional because they are the #2 seed and they are closer to Allentown than Providence. Makes sense, although many times we have heard that "a flight is a flight", so it wouldn't make any difference to UMD or MSU where they fly. Every opponent would be the same, only the venue would change.

Teams play all season to be a top seed and/or to win their conference (in the WCHA and the BIG to get home ice throughout the conference playoffs). In our case if last nights game was played in Bowling Green, all other things being equal, we do not win that game. Our SRO crowd helped gave the Mavericks the boost needed to tie the game and subsequently win in overtime. We earned that right to play at home. Providence has earned the right to be in the NCAA, but nothing more. Obviously as a Maverick fan, I am biased, but I also thought it was wrong in 2015 to have Providence play at "home".
      Providence hasn't played a "ROAD" regional in the last six years BTW...everything has been within 1.5 hours of campus. Think about that.
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

I understand the frustration but a lot of teams have endured that. Heck at least they make them change venues now, St. Cloud as a lower seed had to play Michigan at Yost.

As far as them always playing close to home, that’s cuz the East is packed. But honestly the travesty here is Allentown, PA is somehow the Midwest Regional and I believe bc there weren’t enough bidders. Here’s how to fix that: Schools like Mankato, St. Cloud, Minnesota and Duluth need to start bidding. Bid at the X or in WI, the Dakotas or Iowa. There are plenty of USHL rinks in Iowa that would work well or Wells Fargo Arena where the Iowa Wild play in Des Moines.
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
          It’s a broken system, no doubt about it, but maybe that’ll be the environment that finally lets the Mavs get it done. Last year there were over 1000 of us in attendance and it didn’t matter, for example.

If you want to be considered a legit contender annually, win games in the Tournament, no excuses.
          I agree. Yes, we need to win, no matter where we play or who. Another way to look at it is if we won a couple more games, we would be in Fargo, and someone else would have drawn the short stick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
            I agree. Yes, we need to win, no matter where we play or who. Another way to look at it is if we won a couple more games, we would be in Fargo, and someone else would have drawn the short stick.
            Just beat UMD during the Christmas tournament and likely finish 2 in the Pairwise instead of 3, and UMD would’ve had the “road” draw.
            AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
              Providence hasn't played a "ROAD" regional in the last six years BTW...everything has been within 1.5 hours of campus. Think about that.
              Shocking to see you here Zlax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bulletin board material,

Ritchlin predicted St Cloud, UMD, Northeastern and Notre Dame to the frozen four.
                Come on Mankato, this is the year for a frozen 4 WCHA team.

Comment

Go to it guys!! Bring it home for the WCHA!!!
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Hayden Hawkey scares me. I think the Mavs can skate with anyone and have so much depth in scoring, but Hawkey is very good and could definitely steal a game from the Mavs. Psychologically the Mavs need this win. They need to get over the hump and push this program forward.
                    AF 99

Comment

As long as they’re alive and they’re the home team on the scoreboard, the captains have elected to wear the yellow jerseys moving forward — same logic as last weekend. (They haven’t lost in the yellow jerseys.)
                      AF 99

Comment

Maverick fan seating is located in sections 124-127 this weekend, FYI.
                        AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                          Considering the location of Providence, Rhode Island - 1 hour from Boston, 2 1/2 hours from NYC, etc - no, I really don't find that hard to believe considering where all eastern regionals have been played the last 20 years or so.....

Comment

• My 10 cents is that we need SCSU UMD and MSU to do joint bids. Alternate with UofM or something. We need better placed regionals.id drive and did drive to Notre Dame to watch regionals. Want to boost attendance start there.

The Mavs do need this. Playing them in essentially a road games sucks and it's not fair but go out there and prove all the haters wrong. This team can beat anyone. Now we need them to prove it.
                            All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Richie Rich over here with his 10 cents instead of 2 like the rest of us have. But yes current format sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                Richie Rich over here with his 10 cents instead of 2 like the rest of us have. But yes current format sucks.
                                My wife works her fingers to the bone for the other 8 cents
                                All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Working...
                                X