Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 349

Thread: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

  1. #301
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by MavsFan19 View Post
    Thing is as much as the penalty hurt I still think our disappearence the last 2 ncaas in the 2nd and 3rd periods is a bigger issue. We had a 3 goal lead. And blew it. Even if they dont call the major I saw nothing from them indicating that we might win. What do we want to say is the issue? Because at 0-5 this doesn't say much for Hastings and getting this team ready. I say that as a huge Hastings supporter
    Hastings seems like a really good coach but I think its fair to ask why this team seems to falter in the Tournament at the worst possible times. I don’t buy the “overrated” monicker Twitterverse is claiming as this is a top-quality roster from top to bottom. I’m also not buying the bs claim by some MSU fans that somehow the nWCHA is weak and therefore to blame. You can’t go up 3-0 and collapse, only to blame “weak conference opponents” as the explanation for giving up 6 unanswered goals. That is quite pathetic.

  2. #302
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Mankato
    Posts
    294

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CKrouth View Post
    Hastings seems like a really good coach but I think its fair to ask why this team seems to falter in the Tournament at the worst possible times. I don’t buy the “overrated” monicker Twitterverse is claiming as this is a top-quality roster from top to bottom. I’m also not buying the bs claim by some MSU fans that somehow the nWCHA is weak and therefore to blame. You can’t go up 3-0 and collapse, only to blame “weak conference opponents” as the explanation for giving up 6 unanswered goals. That is quite pathetic.
    Very well said and I couldn't agree more. I think Hastings record in winner take all games is like 10 - 8. We won a holiday tournament once and would win and lose at the North Star Cup but the 0-6 at the NCAAs is just something that I think has to make you wonder a bit about his ability to get this team ready to play and in game changes. At 0-6 and you have been outscored 7 to 17 (I think) You are the coach of the largest college hockey upset based on pairwise and have been outscored 8 to 0 in periods 2/3 the last two years. Thats not a great resume.
    I do wonder though if our conference play doesn't create some over confidence as our ability to hold leads and other teams ability to counter attack. There was some plays yesterday that the mavs did that created offense for Providence and Im not sure if teams in the WCHA are as skilled to make those plays. I don't know. Its all very frustrating especially because losing to Prov or UMD isn't necessarily bad but its the way they lost that's been so baffling. Make no sense. At this point it can only get worse if we get a 4 goal lead..........

    Thats the script for 2020. 4 goal lead after 2 and lose.
    All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

    Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

  3. #303
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mankato
    Posts
    432

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    While this is a disappointing finish to the season, I think there were a lot of positives to the season, and to the future. Assuming nobody turns pro early, we will lose only one regular player (Coatta), and have what I've been led to believe a really good bunch coming in next season.

    The bitter pill to swallow is the 0-6 record in the NCAA. No matter what people say, whether or not it has been mentioned in the locker room (I doubt that it has), it gets in the players heads, and subconsciously, I believe it is affecting their play. This is where Hastings has to figure out how to right this ship. I have all the confidence in the world that he can.

  4. #304
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Mankato
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwearpurple View Post
    This is where Hastings has to figure out how to right this ship. I have all the confidence in the world that he can.
    Don't you think after last year he should have righted the ship?
    When do we lose confidence to that he can right the ship? 0-7 0-8?

  5. #305
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Greater Boston, MA
    Posts
    8,666
    Quote Originally Posted by MavsFan19 View Post
    What a joke. We didn't look like a 1 seed should especially on penalty kill. All the criticism of us is warranted. I'd love the say that the team I saw today is not the team I watched all year and it's true but what does it matter. We are now 0-6.

    Maybe that's the banner we should hang up 0-6 in ncaas
    PC just snuck in because BC couldn’t beat NU in the hockey east tournament

    In the quarter finals BC best PC 2 games to one in 3 tough games

    That assessed major was the killer as PC broke the 3-3 tie with 2 more power play goals

  6. #306
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,748

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    I'm sorry to butt in, but PC is a lot like BG and honestly, you should have lost to them 3 times instead of two. So you were behind the 8 ball really before the game even started. Those types of team gave you trouble all year apparently given the score vs ASU. PC is not extraordinarily skilled. And didn't you already play Duluth this year?
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  7. #307
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Michigan's Copper Country
    Posts
    699

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaCat View Post
    What he said.

    I went to an Admirals hockey game there in the early 80's. It has been recently renovated.

    Facility website. https://uwmilwaukeepantherarena.com/
    Nice venue. Close to many college hockey schools that are within driving distance. I would like to see a team bid for that arena. Maybe Tech could look into it sometime in the future. I know they hosted a couple of them in Green Bay. Going another 100 miles south wouldn't seem to be that big of a deal if it was available during regional play. I don't consider Pennsylvania as being a mid-west site for the tournament.
    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
    2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

  8. #308
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Greater Boston, MA
    Posts
    8,666
    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I'm sorry to butt in, but PC is a lot like BG and honestly, you should have lost to them 3 times instead of two. So you were behind the 8 ball really before the game even started. Those types of team gave you trouble all year apparently given the score vs ASU. PC is not extraordinarily skilled. And didn't you already play Duluth this year?
    I would have to agree

    I watch PC all the time when they play BC

    Mavs got muscled by the Friars after falling behind 3-0

  9. #309
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,860

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
    Nice venue. Close to many college hockey schools that are within driving distance. I would like to see a team bid for that arena. Maybe Tech could look into it sometime in the future. I know they hosted a couple of them in Green Bay. Going another 100 miles south wouldn't seem to be that big of a deal if it was available during regional play. I don't consider Pennsylvania as being a mid-west site for the tournament.
    Obviously I would love to see it there too, as it would be a simple 45 minute drive for me to attend.

  10. #310
    Watch out for the bull!
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    North Mankato, MN
    Posts
    3,285

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MavsFan19 View Post
    Don't you think after last year he should have righted the ship?
    When do we lose confidence to that he can right the ship? 0-7 0-8?
    I'm more than a little stunned that people seem to think that Hastings should be in jeopardy. How soon we forget how it used to be.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

  11. #311
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Mankato
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by MavsFan View Post
    I'm more than a little stunned that people seem to think that Hastings should be in jeopardy. How soon we forget how it used to be.
    I'm not advocating him being let go or even slightly in jeopardy. He's a great coach because I remember all to well how rough our seasons were but just because he elevated our program to new heights does that mean he doesn't deserve criticism? I love what he has done for us but 0-6 doesn't warrent a few questions? Especially as to how we lost in the last 3.

    I'm simply asking at what point do start to lose that confidence because mine is shaken in him a bit. I'm not nearly at "fire him" but im not nearly as positive that he can get us to the frozen four. 3/4 years ago I had 100% faith he'd get us there
    Last edited by MavsFan19; 04-01-2019 at 07:48 AM.

  12. #312
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    1,217

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MavsFan19 View Post
    I'm not advocating him being let go or even slightly in jeopardy. He's a great coach because I remember all to well how rough our seasons were but just because he elevated our program to new heights does that mean he doesn't deserve criticism? I love what he has done for us but 0-6 doesn't warrent a few questions? Especially as to how we lost in the last 3.

    I'm simply asking at what point do start to lose that confidence because mine is shaken in him a bit. I'm not nearly at "fire him" but im not nearly as positive that he can get us to the frozen four. 3/4 years ago I had 100% faith he'd get us there
    It's going to take a lot more losses before i'm anything less than 100% sure we have the right coach.

  13. #313
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Belle Plaine by way of Mankato and Fairfax, MN
    Posts
    756

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    It's going to take a lot more losses before i'm anything less than 100% sure we have the right coach.
    I'm right there with you. Hastings has won at every level that he's been at. He will get us there. I wonder if there may be some adjustment to the recruiting strategy though. I love the guys that we have, but there is one significant flaw in the teams that we've had. The teams that we continually struggle against are those that are built like BG and PC. They are tight checking teams that play a heavy game. We struggle if we ever get behind to teams like that. We have a style that we can play and play very well, but if those teams can get us down a goal (or don't change their style when we get up on them) we struggle badly. It happened against RIT. It happened against BG this year. It happened against PC this weekend. We lose the ability to dictate the style of play against those teams. We can do it in conference against teams that aren't as talented, but can we do it against teams that have more talent?

    I'm certain that Mike will get this straightened out and my confidence in him has not been shaken a bit. I think the natural shift in recruiting is that we end up going after more high end and younger players. I think we will always be an older team that has leadership ability. Now we seem to need to add that one or two players that can throw the team on their back and get a goal when necessary.
    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

  14. #314
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    516

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    Just watching the game as a fan, I was very surprised that when PC scored most of their power play goals, they kept running the same back-door play - and Minn. State never adjusted. Don't know if they are simply a "this is what we do" and "who we are" and they don't really make adjustments, but found the lack of in-game strategy/adjustments surprising.

  15. #315
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Belle Plaine by way of Mankato and Fairfax, MN
    Posts
    756

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisP View Post
    Just watching the game as a fan, I was very surprised that when PC scored most of their power play goals, they kept running the same back-door play - and Minn. State never adjusted. Don't know if they are simply a "this is what we do" and "who we are" and they don't really make adjustments, but found the lack of in-game strategy/adjustments surprising.
    No, that was break down after break down after break down. I didn't see that happen all year.

    In all honesty (and this legitimately isn't an argument about regional sites, it's about what I think happened), PC got the game to within two and we had the disallowed goal. You could feel the momentum changing and, although I wasn't there, I'm sure the feeling in the building was the same. Knowing that this team doesn't make those mistakes often, I think it got in their heads. I dont' think it was coaching, I think it was a bunch of guys that just got shaken and made uncharacteristic mistakes.
    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

  16. #316
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    1,217

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bale View Post
    I think the natural shift in recruiting is that we end up going after more high end and younger players. I think we will always be an older team that has leadership ability. Now we seem to need to add that one or two players that can throw the team on their back and get a goal when necessary.
    That's been the missing piece. I like the strong work ethic and leadership skills of the players on our team, but we've had just one NHL draft pick start school at Mankato in the last 5 years (CJ Suess), and he was a late draft pick who'd already committed to MSU-M before the pro scouts discovered him. Of the 16 teams in the NCAA field, only us and AIC lacked an NHL draft pick on the roster. I like a system of interchangeable parts. It works great in the regular season. If our top line gets shut down, we can always get goals from a Spooner or a Napravnik or a Duehr. But in the NCAA tournament, benches get shortened, the emphasis is on defense, and you really need a guy who can make a play that no one else on your team can make. We just haven't had that guy.
    The Gophers and BU and some other blue blood programs have likely went too far in the other direction (too many draft picks, not enough 4 year guys) to be consistent contenders, but I think we lack some of the high end talent to go far in the tournament.

  17. #317
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Mankato
    Posts
    294

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    If our top line gets shut down, we can always get goals from a Spooner or a Napravnik or a Duehr. But in the NCAA tournament, benches get shortened, the emphasis is on defense, and you really need a guy who can make a play that no one else on your team can make. We just haven't had that guy.
    Personally I think we have had a few of these guys who can make those type of plays plus when you say built on defense are we not routinely a top national ranked defense? Brinkley, Nelson, and as it sounds maybe Mackey to the NHL?

    Im still hopeful that Hastings can get us to promise land but Im not sure how everyone is still as sure as they were? Recruit Different players? Different tactics? Doesn't he set who we recruit and how we play? Isn't that an inditement of him saying we need NCAA draftees? Or different tactics? How about an easy opponent in the NCAA? Got it. The 2015 team was LOADED and RIT beat us because of the type of game they played. Isn't it on the coach to make in game changes to counter that? Then with Providence and UMD it wasn't that we lost but how we lost that concerns me. In both games they made changes and we never recovered. Im sure much of my angst right now is because I grow tired of hearing "next year" and failing miserably in the NCAAs. We are a joke and deserve to be. Ive traveled from Houghton to Denver to UAH to watch the Mavs, Hastings has done more to make us relevant than anyone could have imagined. I don't think he should be fired, I don't think he should be on the Hot seat even but I do have some reservations about his ability to lead us to a frozen four.

    "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it." 2019-20?
    All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

    Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

  18. #318
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    17,532

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    Mackey will return to school. So, the Mavericks effectively return 19 of their 20 regulars in the lineup, Coatta the only one gone. Expectations for next season will be through the roof, and on paper this will be the best team ever in Mankato.

    This doesn’t count at all on guys like incoming 3rd round NHL pick Nathan Smith, Ryan Sandelin, etc.

  19. #319
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Belle Plaine by way of Mankato and Fairfax, MN
    Posts
    756

    Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    Mackey will return to school. So, the Mavericks effectively return 19 of their 20 regulars in the lineup, Coatta the only one gone. Expectations for next season will be through the roof, and on paper this will be the best team ever in Mankato.

    This doesn’t count at all on guys like incoming 3rd round NHL pick Nathan Smith, Ryan Sandelin, etc.
    Which means there's got to be a few guys leaving through other channels, doesn't it? I was under the impression there were 6 (maybe more) guys coming in and only 3 leaving.
    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

  20. #320
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Bale View Post
    Which means there's got to be a few guys leaving through other channels, doesn't it? I was under the impression there were 6 (maybe more) guys coming in and only 3 leaving.
    They officially signed 7 in November I think NLI are good for 2 years. The real question will be if Michaelis leaves. I think if MSU won an NCAA game he’d be gone, but now I believe he’ll be back. It’s Hastings job to out recruit his current players. Top two lines are set but 3-4th are up for grabs.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •