Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    As was said, Mike Hastings is a proven winner and well respected at every level. 11-6-2 in the second half says a lot about his ability to get his team ready every week.

But I wonder about the Mavs schedule. No games against top 10 teams, in fact very few games against good top 15 ranked teams. Mavs need to schedule more NCs against ranked teams. WCHA was weak this season in interconference play, ranking closely behind Atlantic Hockey (.257) with a W% of .347.

Whatever...just a thought. Carry on.
    Uh, well you'd think scheduling BU, UND and Minnesota would normally give you games against top 10/15 teams. All three were top 20 when they played them, not the Mavs fault they couldn't finish there. And they did play UMD and ASU, both of whom finished in the top 15. And technically, Minnesota and UND ended tied for 19 in Pairwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAVS21 View Post
      They officially signed 7 in November I think NLI are good for 2 years. The real question will be if Michaelis leaves. I think if MSU won an NCAA game he’d be gone, but now I believe he’ll be back. It’s Hastings job to out recruit his current players. Top two lines are set but 3-4th are up for grabs.
      Michaelis will also be returning to school, FWIW.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

I really think the sleeper recruits are Sowder, Furry and Bukes.
        Sowder is currently having an excellent playoffs.
        AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14
          As well as UMD, too. The scheduling MSU has done in the NC recently is at or near the top of college hockey, IMO. You can’t control when blue blood schools have their down years.

I do think, and have been hammered by some fellow current WCHA school supporters for this, that playing in the WCHA hurts the Mavericks in terms of preparing them to win in the tournament. The WCHA didn’t blow a 3 goal lead for them, no, but the proof is in the pudding. 2 more NCHC schools back in the Frozen Four. The last three champions? 3 different NCHC schools.

Playing in that league night in and night out requires a different level of consistency and mental focus than playing in the WCHA. Against most WCHA schools, if the Mavs are up 3-0, they can manage to live through some turnovers, survive breakdowns a little bit easier, etc. In the NCHC, most teams are gonna do exactly what Providence did to the Mavs.

6 of the top 8 NCHC teams were in the top 23 of the Pairwise. Only 2 WCHA schools were in the top 23, with 10 league members rather than 8. (NMU was 24th).
          Playing in the NCHC hasn't helped SCSU in the first round their last 3 trips to the NCAAs. Playing in the Nacho isn't a cure-all.

Please check your PW numbers again. The WCHA had 3 teams in the top 23 (LSSU is #22) and 4 in the top 25.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
            Playing in the NCHC hasn't helped SCSU in the first round their last 3 trips to the NCAAs. Playing in the Nacho isn't a cure-all.

Please check your PW numbers again. The WCHA had 3 teams in the top 23 (LSSU is #22) and 4 in the top 25.
            Accidentally deleted it when I tried to save my adjustment lol.

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Yes, but there's no way of knowing that when the schedule is put together. Okay, the Gophers struggling one could probably expect.

Usually, having UND, Minnesota, and BU on the schedule is a good thing.
            As well as UMD, too. The scheduling MSU has done in the NC recently is at or near the top of college hockey, IMO. You can’t control when blue blood schools have their down years.

I do think, and have been hammered by some fellow current WCHA school supporters for this, that playing in the WCHA hurts the Mavericks in terms of preparing them to win in the tournament. The WCHA didn’t blow a 3 goal lead for them, no, but the proof is in the pudding. 2 more NCHC schools back in the Frozen Four. The last three champions? 3 different NCHC schools.

Playing in that league night in and night out requires a different level of consistency and mental focus than playing in the WCHA. Against most WCHA schools, if the Mavs are up 3-0, they can manage to live through some turnovers, survive breakdowns a little bit easier, etc. In the NCHC, most teams are gonna do exactly what Providence did to the Mavs.

6 of the top 8 NCHC teams were in the top 23 of the Pairwise. Only 3 WCHA schools were in the top 23, with 10 league members rather than 8. (NMU was 24th).
            AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

I do think part of the Mavs issue is similar to St. Cloud’s in that it’s a mindset at this point, just like the Vikings, for example. However, it’s definitely helped UND, DU, and UMD.
              AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                Playing in that league night in and night out requires a different level of consistency and mental focus than playing in the WCHA.
                I have been vocal about staying in wcha but i agree with this. How often did the Mavs face a good pp or a team that could turn our mistakes against us. Prov 2nd goal was a great example. Shot missed the net and they transitioned it very quickly and a great shot to score. When you play 90% of you season against teams who don't have the skill to do it you can become acclimated to that. Our NC games are done early so those are little help in preparing us.

Good news to have those two back to play. It will be a very interesting roster next year.
                All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                  I have been vocal about staying in wcha but i agree with this. How often did the Mavs face a good pp or a team that could turn our mistakes against us. Prov 2nd goal was a great example. Shot missed the net and they transitioned it very quickly and a great shot to score. When you play 90% of you season against teams who don't have the skill to do it you can become acclimated to that. Our NC games are done early so those are little help in preparing us.

Good news to have those two back to play. It will be a very interesting roster next year.
                  SCSU plays in the NCHC and finds a way to get upset year after year so...
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                    SCSU plays in the NCHC and finds a way to get upset year after year so...
                    I understand the point, but it helps everyone else in the conference come tourney time more than it hurts — it’s silly to think the WCHA competition week in and week out is at a level close to the NCHC.
                    AF 99

Comment

I've been a fan of the Mavericks for years. Been going to games since the first game at the Verizon Center almost 25 years ago. Watched the program grow through the first Final Five appearance at Target Center in Coach Brose's last game (2000) and getting to the NCAA tournament in 2003 for the first time. The biggest issue the program has is having success in big road or neutral site games. The biggest win most recently I can think of in a neutral site game was at the 2015 Final Five championship against Michigan Tech at Xcel Energy. There's the obvious lack of a win in the NCAA tournament as well as never winning the North Star Cup tournament before that went away. Maybe the Mariucci Cup next year will help the 2019-2020 team gain some success during the year for preparation for the NCAA tournament. What's everyone thoughts as far as getting that elusive first NCAA tournament win? Next Year? 2-3 years? 5-10 years? I'm hoping sooner rather than later. Being a Maverick Hockey fan can be tough but there's been a lot of good moments too. Like being at the Mankato Miracle against Bowling Green for the conference championship.

Comment

FWIW, I’m hearing Todd Knott is a top candidate at Bowling Green. He’s been well respected in the coaching ranks for years now, and is known for his excellent ability to recruit.
                        AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                          FWIW, I’m hearing Todd Knott is a top candidate at Bowling Green. He’s been well respected in the coaching ranks for years now, and is known for his excellent ability to recruit.
                          Do you think he’d leave for Bowling Green HC position? If so it’ll be interesting to see how Hastings replaces him.

Comment

Do you think he’d leave for Bowling Green HC position? If so it’ll be interesting to see how Hastings replaces him.
                            It would be a chance to run his own program. No different than when Mike left UNO to come to Mankato.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              It would be a chance to run his own program. No different than when Mike left UNO to come to Mankato.
                              I truly hope he gets the position honestly, great person and Coach. I believe he’ll have tons of success wherever he is a HC. I’m kinda curious who some of Hastings assistants have been in the past.

Comment

I truly hope he gets the position honestly, great person and Coach. I believe he’ll have tons of success wherever he is a HC. I’m kinda curious who some of Hastings assistants have been in the past.
                                Blue & Knott have been with him the whole time.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X