Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 820 of 1001

Thread: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

  1. #801
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    74,333

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs


    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  2. #802
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,018

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Lets take a more dispassionate look at gerrymandering now that the Feds are going to have a hands off approach (aside from blatant racism).

    Gooper gerrymanders: MI,WI,OH,TX,GA,NC

    Dem gerrymanders: IL, MD

    Michigan (citizens initiative) and North Carolina (Dems now control state supreme court) should take care of themselves. Yes I expect the GOP to try to hang on like grim death, but in both places the state courts aren't friendly to their position.

    Ohio - Passed some half measure to head off a citizens initiative. Basically it shortens the amount of time the new lines are in place if not a bipartisan agreement to 4 years. Total GOP control of Gov, legislature, courts.

    WI, TX, GA - not good. Dems p issed away chance at winning state supreme court this year in Wisconsin. Dispute between legislature and Gov goes to them (basically a reverse of Pennsylvania). Moderate chance at winning state House in Texas next year but again presumably dispute would go to GOP state supreme court. Same with Georgia.

    Potential Dem gerrymanders. On the bright side if you like fighting fire with fire, Dems now have total control of New York and after courts redrew racial gerrymander in state house are in a good spot for the same trifecta in Virginia. If the SCOTUS has now ruled that anything goes, lots of opportunity in these two states.

    So you could have a situation after 2020 where the GOP has gerrymandered TX, OH, GA and WI while Dems have done the same to NY, IL, VA and MD. That's a lot better than where we were after the last round of redistricting.
    I'm with you here. If the courts rule that partisan gerrymandering is ok, then it's time for the Democrats to become experts in using it and do so ruthlessly.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  3. #803

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    24,211
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    < snip >
    But we were told by the water carriers here that the grind of Govenment would never allow Trump to suspend such things...

  4. #804
    rock and roller
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Posts
    23,272

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    You gave us your real reason and that's unconstitutional so come back with a lie and we'll buy it.
    "You didn't conceal your real reasons well enough, which are prejudicial and unconstitutional, so we had to rule that way. Come back with a better excuse next time".

    More accurate.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

  5. #805
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    16,675

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

    This is where the Chump administration being full of grifters and fuk ups comes in handy. A more slick operation never allows evidence of the real reason behind this census question to see the light of day. Manufacturing a new reason to get through several courts that doesn't pass the laugh test is going to be pretty hard to do in time for sending out the census forms which is why Chump is tweeting out blatantly unconstitutional remedies to the situation.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  6. #806
    rock and roller
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Posts
    23,272

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Gerrymandering is about the GOP cheating in some states now. Census is about the GOP cheating in all states in the future. The consequences of the latter are far more devastating. Combined with their Gestapo raids on Latino homes they're on their way to their white nationalist homeland.

    It's really noteworthy how no conservative will stand up against them. What a bunch of cowards.
    Conservatives are afraid of the dark, funny-talking people too.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

  7. #807

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,967
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I'm with you here. If the courts rule that partisan gerrymandering is ok, then it's time for the Democrats to become experts in using it and do so ruthlessly.
    Maryland is your case study.

  8. #808
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,594
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I'm with you here. If the courts rule that partisan gerrymandering is ok, then it's time for the Democrats to become experts in using it and do so ruthlessly.
    Otherwise what’s the use in winning?

  9. #809
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,035

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    "You didn't conceal your real reasons well enough, which are prejudicial and unconstitutional, so we had to rule that way. Come back with a better excuse next time".

    More accurate.
    You have to ask me nicely.

  10. #810

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,157

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

    Very good 538 article on the Court makeup using the frequency that pairs of justices agree.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  11. #811

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,157

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

    PopeHat may be dead but RammedTheRampartsHat has picked up where it left off.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  12. #812

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    PopeHat may be dead but RammedTheRampartsHat has picked up where it left off.
    And St. Ruth?

    https://www.eyeofthetiber.com/2019/07...and-incorrupt/

  13. #813

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,157

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Pretty snotty for people who like to think of themselves as "loving."

    But that particular breed of Catholic cat wouldn't know ἀγάπη if it bit them.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  14. #814
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    42,717

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

    In 26 states, including Michigan, I could lose my job for being trans.

    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y...DbJhJFNymZhXao

    The current crop of cases before the court DOES affect me. I try not to worry about it, but with Justice Pabst Blue Ribbon, I am concerned.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  15. #815

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,967
    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    In 26 states, including Michigan, I could lose my job for being trans.

    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y...DbJhJFNymZhXao

    The current crop of cases before the court DOES affect me. I try not to worry about it, but with Justice Pabst Blue Ribbon, I am concerned.
    Should be:
    Fired for your actions (or lack of) not who you are.

    Reality:
    Never mind facts, we'll find some way to boot your arse to the curb.

  16. #816

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,157

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Should be:
    Fired for your actions (or lack of) not who you are.

    Reality:
    Never mind facts, we'll find some way to boot your arse to the curb.
    We actually have ways of changing this. They are called laws.

    Funny how the Republican party always tries to stop laws which force employers to prove work deficiencies, meanwhile striking down laws which would make it illegal to fire somebody based on their sexuality. Hmm. It's almost as if that party is virtue signalling to its supporters who want to continue having their hate not just unpunished but tacitly approved of. In this case the "virtue" is bigotry, but it comes from an old Jewish fairytale so it's sacred.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  17. #817
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,018

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    We actually have ways of changing this. They are called laws.

    Funny how the Republican party always tries to stop laws which force employers to prove work deficiencies, meanwhile striking down laws which would make it illegal to fire somebody based on their sexuality. Hmm. It's almost as if that party is virtue signalling to its supporters who want to continue having their hate not just unpunished but tacitly approved of. In this case the "virtue" is bigotry, but it comes from an old Jewish fairytale so it's sacred.
    Didn’t you say anyone who uses the term “virtue signaling” shouldn’t be taken seriously?

  18. #818
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,695

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    We actually have ways of changing this. They are called laws.

    Funny how the Republican party always tries to stop laws which force employers to prove work deficiencies, meanwhile striking down laws which would make it illegal to fire somebody based on their sexuality. Hmm. It's almost as if that party is virtue signalling to its supporters who want to continue having their hate not just unpunished but tacitly approved of. In this case the "virtue" is bigotry, but it comes from an old Jewish fairytale so it's sacred.
    Let's set aside issues relating to whether there should be protected classes of people (there should) based upon race, sex, national origin, gender identity, etc.., and let me ask you this about the first part of your statement.

    I assume you believe employees should have unfettered right to simply quit their job and go elsewhere if they choose? But employers should not have that same right? They should not have the right to decide they can do better in terms of who they have working for them?
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  19. #819
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    42,717
    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Let's set aside issues relating to whether there should be protected classes of people (there should) based upon race, sex, national origin, gender identity, etc.., and let me ask you this about the first part of your statement.

    I assume you believe employees should have unfettered right to simply quit their job and go elsewhere if they choose? But employers should not have that same right? They should not have the right to decide they can do better in terms of who they have working for them?
    I've seen people get fired at my job for the following

    Excessive absence
    Doing something stupid like violate Lock Out Tag Out
    Or for gross incompetence, like it's clear they can't handle the job.

    What Kepler and I are saying is fire me for those reasons, not because I'm trans.

  20. #820
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,695

    Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    I've seen people get fired at my job for the following

    Excessive absence
    Doing something stupid like violate Lock Out Tag Out
    Or for gross incompetence, like it's clear they can't handle the job.

    What Kepler and I are saying is fire me for those reasons, not because I'm trans.
    I don't think employers should be allowed to fire people based upon their gender identity. I've never said to the contrary.

    My question for Kep was specifically related to the first part of his statement in which he at least implied that employers should have to "prove work deficiencies" before they be allowed to fire someone. I disagree with this. I think that just as an employee should be entitled to better his or her job situation by finding new employment, the employer should be able to do the same, to better his or her business by replacing current employees with better and more talented employees.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •