X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I don't doubt that people running for office, people heading up parties or even elected officials have publicly claimed they are going to try to overturn Roe, and made those statements to raise money or try to get elected. They may even believe they are going to get it done. But it ain't happening and anyone who gives money thinking they're going to help it happen is a sucker.
    All it takes is one more court member. Kavanaugh has shown he wants it gone. So has Gorsuch. Roberts is the only one left on the right that would deviate. One more Trump appointment it's bye bye. And precedence does not matter no matter how much Suzie says it does. Kavanaugh lied to her. A reporter should be asking her about that right now.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      And precedence does not matter no matter how much Suzie says it does. Kavanaugh lied to her. A reporter should be asking her about that right now.
      Maybe somebody she's waving to at the Bangor Airport will bring it up....
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        If you can find a single post or word that I've ever uttered suggesting Roe should be overturned, or that abortion should be anything other than a woman's choice, go ahead and link to it genius. My posts on Roe have been almost entirely confined to the ridiculous nature of chicken littles on the left who have been running around since 1973 raising funds based upon the false argument that Roe will be overturned by the Courts.
        Uh, kinda proving my point, there, Skippy. Why would you post that you want it overturned, when it is so obvious that you don't want it overturned- just undermined. I mean, you're not on here fundraising for a derper, which would be the only reason to lie about wanting it overturned.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Wasn't Walrus defending her to the very core? Defend her now.
          defend her? . I said she is out and about in the community and people around here like that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I don't disagree with those statements, but I also think it goes back to what I posted 5-6 months ago, which is once a "constitutional right" has been enumerated, the Supremes aren't going to take it away. They may chip away at it. But when the citizens have been told "you have the right to" counsel, to get an abortion, to be read your rights before the police interrogate you, etc..., no Supreme Court (no matter their political makeup) is going to be the one to take that away.
            Rights can be so winnowed down as not to exist. The Fourth Amendment no longer applies within 100 miles of the border. Reproductive rights barely exist in Jesusf-ckistan.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              Uh, kinda proving my point, there, Skippy. Why would you post that you want it overturned, when it is so obvious that you don't want it overturned- just undermined. I mean, you're not on here fundraising for a derper, which would be the only reason to lie about wanting it overturned.
              I'm not here fundraising for anybody, chuckles. I don't want it overturned because I think it's a woman's right to choose. I know it's not going to be overturned because you'll never get five members of the Supreme Court to say "nope, you can't get an abortion in this country anymore."
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

In September, as everyone had their panties twisted up, I wrote here that Roe would never be overturned. Strange, but not everyone agreed with me. Even uno was a little skeptical, and probably still is.

https://board.uscho.com/showthread.p...t=#post6698147
                Yes I do. This was a preliminary vote that maintains the status quo while the appeal is pending. 100% normal for that to happen. More shocking that 4 justices went the other way.

Roberts could still vote the other way on the merits of the case once it reaches the court. He will never directly overturn Roe, but he could easily kill it with 1000 paper cuts.

He dissented in the Texas case 3 years ago. He now has 5 votes on his side. What makes you think he switched his mind on abortion and will side with the liberals on the merits?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Rights can be so winnowed down as not to exist. The Fourth Amendment no longer applies within 100 miles of the border. Reproductive rights barely exist in Jesusf-ckistan.
                  That link doesn't say the fourth amendment no longer applies. It says that agents of the justice department have been routinely violating it contrary to Supreme Court precedent. Big surprise there. They're cops.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Maybe somebody she's waving to at the Bangor Airport will bring it up....
                    The elites always enjoyed waving down at the little people.

And for some reason, the little people always assume that means the elites actually give a chit about them.
                    Last edited by rufus; 02-08-2019, 11:49 AM.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

That link doesn't say the fourth amendment no longer applies. It says that agents of the justice department have been routinely violating it contrary to Supreme Court precedent. Big surprise there. They're cops.
                      That's the ACLU's spin, not fact.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        The elites always enjoyed waving down at the little people.
                        This is a misconception. The elites don't notice the little people.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Yes I do. This was a preliminary vote that maintains the status quo while the appeal is pending. 100% normal for that to happen. More shocking that 4 justices went the other way.

Roberts could still vote the other way on the merits of the case once it reaches the court. He will never directly overturn Roe, but he could easily kill it with 1000 paper cuts.

He dissented in the Texas case 3 years ago. He now has 5 votes on his side. What makes you think he switched his mind on abortion and will side with the liberals on the merits?
                          This is what I thought I had read but couldn't find the source. This is not over yet. Thanks for the info, great post.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

All it takes is one more court member. Kavanaugh has shown he wants it gone. So has Gorsuch. Roberts is the only one left on the right that would deviate. One more Trump appointment it's bye bye. And precedence does not matter no matter how much Suzie says it does. Kavanaugh lied to her. A reporter should be asking her about that right now.
                            "I... don't.... believe.... thaaaaaaat's.... true."
                            Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-08-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post

The only reason I can think of is if he values continuity (give me some weird *** legal definition which is no doubt written in Latin) over his own personal convictions. As in the court just decided the previous case and at some point you'd like those decision to be the final word for a long period of time.

Say Roberts goes with the knucks and upholds the Louisiana law. You can guarantee one of the cases that's going to come his way next will be to overturn gay marriage, which he dissented on. So, you're justice Roberts. What do you do? I don't trust the man, but if he goes this route court precedent has zero meaning.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                The only reason I can think of is if he values continuity (give me some weird *** legal definition which is no doubt written in Latin) over his own personal convictions. As in the court just decided the previous case and at some point you'd like those decision to be the final word for a long period of time.

Say Roberts goes with the knucks and upholds the Louisiana law. You can guarantee one of the cases that's going to come his way next will be to overturn gay marriage, which he dissented on. So, you're justice Roberts. What do you do? I don't trust the man, but if he goes this route court precedent has zero meaning.
                                I don't think he wants His Court to be remembered as a Taneyesque laughing stock, or as the CJ who perpetuated bigotry and hatred, so he's not going to reverse same sex marriage. He may in fact vote with the liberals on social issues that expand rights and get rid of past bigotries like homophobia or even misogyny. He's not an obvious tool like Thomas, Alito, and Kavanaugh, except where it comes to the Plutes.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X