Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

All of this is just our opinions but you don't build chemistry in captain's practice or the first month of official practices , which by the way are limited as to length of time with contact with the coaching staff. Until the live bullets are flying you really don't have a feel as to weather or not players can click together. That's why I believe lines need to stay together for more than a couple of games.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      FDude: Normally I can follow your reasoning and either agree (more often than I would expect) or disagree (less often but more violently). But in this case, color me sort of confused?? I just do not think that it is all that complicated. Sometimes as a coach you need to just sit back and let these young men go out and play since most of them have had a lot more ice time experience in their lives than some coaches have had. I just think hockey is a sport in which most of the decisions have to made on the ice (with preparation made from behind the bench).
      It isn't complicated. However, if you're going to be a higher caliber team, you need more than one strong line. Take SLU a few years ago that had the one really strong line, perhaps strongest in the nation. Opposition, such as us, were successful because that top line was shut down and there wasn't much behind it.

Seems we both have the same point, but are phrasing it differently. I'll go back to the question that I posed previously about captain's practices. Are these kids practicing or even scrimmaging over the summer? Are they too busy with NHL camps or other things to be able to do that? I am convinced that's what made us successful as heck in 10-11, despite Pirri and D'Amigo leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
        All of this is just our opinions but you don't build chemistry in captain's practice or the first month of official practices , which by the way are limited as to length of time with contact with the coaching staff. Until the live bullets are flying you really don't have a feel as to weather or not players can click together. That's why I believe lines need to stay together for more than a couple of games.
        Obviously you can't put something to the test until a "live bullet", but when you only have 34 instances of that, you really need to put more time towards testing in practice or scrimmage. Also, just because they're limited to time with coaching staff doesn't mean they can't get together on their own to scrimmage. There's no rules against the number of times the kids can call up the staff or AD and say, "Reserve me a place where I can train." Staff works to block off a couple hours at Frear Park over the summer, and the kids are good to go. You can easily do two lines vs. two lines (that or thereabout), keep trying different combinations each day until you find something that works. Not sure if there's a science behind it or if it's pure art, but there's gotta be something where you can look at individual skating talents and say, "X and Y are going to work great together."

Comment

Maybe the problem is not being able to see the mainly white red line.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Lugnut forgot to spam is own team this time.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Because this thread isn't in my "other team threads to spam" folder.
              RPI Pep Band
              GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
              2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
              2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

In case anyone wants the propaganda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbU6fBeUxGc

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                  Doc, I totally agree with that statement. And I also agree that all teams have to incorporate new players and will get better as the season progresses. But how many teams have to incorporate half their roster?
                  This is a very different situation, and we do have to have a little patients.
                  I have only been following RPI hockey for 25 years and I feel your frustration. Except for the Pirri, D'amigo year, we haven't had a competitive season since the Murley, Tapper, Cavosie teams. And that is way too long.
                  ehf: The frustration for me is nothing new. After all i have been around this team and program since 1963. But way back, we had some years where although we started out a bit poorly, you could see and even feel that things would come together. And it did not take months. Too often we start out the pre season with high hopes but come out flat and seemingly unprepared for the season for several games. There just have been too many seasons starting like that where we turn around in a month and are well below .500. Time passes quickly and especially for us guys who are up in years. What really bothers me that it is even hard for me to remember when we were an ECAC final four team! Jen and i have given away or burned ECAC tournament tickets now for too many years.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

BTW Doc, RPI’s last appearance in the ECAC Final Four was in 2002 in Lake Placid (sad, isn’t it?). They finished 3rd winning the consolation game.

Comment

We could use this.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Maybe, just maybe, it was UMass who was good, as opposed to us being bad.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          We could use this.

Hat Trick for Emil in the game.
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                            Hat Trick for Emil in the game.
                            Yeah.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                              BTW Doc, RPI’s last appearance in the ECAC Final Four was in 2002 in Lake Placid (sad, isn’t it?). They finished 3rd winning the consolation game.
                              That was our last appearance also. We bought tickets every year since (excluding last year) and never went. The 3 years in Atlantic City truly was bothersome as we live about 45 minutes north of there and had to give the tickets away each time.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Aspy Dad,

Did you and Coach Appert have something to do with this?

Seth did let me know that he was doing this. It was my great honor to collaborate with him on groundbreaking AA game. A great hockey man but more importantly a great person. Seth is a pioneer in the field of autism awareness; these types of games are popping up around minor league hockey. Proud of Apps and my association with his autism advocacy.
                                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Working...
                                X