Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast
Results 681 to 700 of 865

Thread: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

  1. #681
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    195,498

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    A list of 8 players signing NLIs was posted today https://rpiathletics.com/news/2018/1...rom-eight.aspx.

    It consists of one goalie (Miller), 4 defensemen (Babichuk, Davies, Klee, and Kjellberg) and 3 forwards (Ashbrook, Hermann, and McIsaak). It isn't clear if they are all arriving in the fall because all it states is that they are future players.

    If they are all coming then it looks like we will be losing a few current players.

    Miller is a one-for-one replacement for Perry in goal.

    We have two seniors on defense, Grant and Moore. If all four are coming than we probably are losing two. Will Reilly turn pro?

    We only are losing Wiffen up front. Conceivably two others won't come back.

  2. #682
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    46,941

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    A list of 8 players signing NLIs was posted today https://rpiathletics.com/news/2018/1...rom-eight.aspx.

    It consists of one goalie (Miller), 4 defensemen (Babichuk, Davies, Klee, and Kjellberg) and 3 forwards (Ashbrook, Hermann, and McIsaak). It isn't clear if they are all arriving in the fall because all it states is that they are future players.

    If they are all coming then it looks like we will be losing a few current players.

    Miller is a one-for-one replacement for Perry in goal.

    We have two seniors on defense, Grant and Moore. If all four are coming than we probably are losing two. Will Reilly turn pro?

    We only are losing Wiffen up front. Conceivably two others won't come back.
    Ashbrook and Babichuk must come if they're going to at all; they are 98s. Hermann, Klee, and McIsaac are 99s (Miller is too but since he's a goalie there isn't much question). Kjellberg is a 00, while Davies is a 01.

    For the uninitiated, the National Letter of Intent is a binding contract to attend a specific institution (read: not a specific sports program, which was a case of contention during the coaching change) via athletic scholarship for the next year, but may be cancelled (in all reality deferred, but the contract is still on a one-year basis) by the institution's administration.

    Reilly was a late pick (in fact the last of the year) and dropped off a bit last year, so unless he really turns some heads in the 2nd half, I don't see him signing. Could Hayhurst advance as a free agent, given the year he's been having (similar to Zalewski a few years back)?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  3. #683
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    195,498

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Ashbrook and Babichuk must come if they're going to at all; they are 98s. Hermann, Klee, and McIsaac are 99s (Miller is too but since he's a goalie there isn't much question). Kjellberg is a 00, while Davies is a 01.

    For the uninitiated, the National Letter of Intent is a binding contract to attend a specific institution (read: not a specific sports program, which was a case of contention during the coaching change) via athletic scholarship for the next year, but may be cancelled (in all reality deferred, but the contract is still on a one-year basis) by the institution's administration.

    Reilly was a late pick (in fact the last of the year) and dropped off a bit last year, so unless he really turns some heads in the 2nd half, I don't see him signing. Could Hayhurst advance as a free agent, given the year he's been having (similar to Zalewski a few years back)?
    Thanks for adding the years of birth.

    Hayhurst could turn pro, but at his size I don't think that he will go higher than the ECHL. Does one give up a paid for college education for that? I don't think that he will be able to graduate at this time since he is still only 21 and probably did not take too many courses before entering RPI. But it is possible that he will leave.

  4. #684
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Side, HFH
    Posts
    1,118

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    (Belated) Hanukkah Sameach! Merry Christmas!

    Just writing to let you know I received a new assignment in July and have been pretty immersed in a new parish over the last several months.
    I've been posting only sporadically and just wanted to reach out to everyone on our thread. Been well. Been busy. I hope to be posting a bit more in the New Year.

    I did see Ralph during the SLU game -- his annual visit to HFH. Between that and starting the Brown game thread, I haven't done much with RPI hockey lately. I hope to see a few games soon.

  5. #685
    RPI'88, BU'99
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Shore, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,649

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Wow... just catching up after some time away. I must say I wish I could send all of you to Austria so you could hang out in a Christmas Market and drink Rum Punch or Gluhwein and work off your sorrows. Having seen only one game this year, and a good one at that (UML), I find the lack of faith here surprising. This team looked much better to me than they have been. Matter of time before it translates to better results. I'm not sure what the 3 new kids will add but I'll bet the UVM tourney games go better than the last couple.

    And FDUDE... c'mon man. ESPN payday and "we do too many drop passes"? Really? Your first inference is absurd and the second one is just wrong. Nothing like a good drop pass to create offense. Check out Eichel's goal from last night (I had the honor of seeing it from the front row balcony). Neutral zone drop pass. Beautiful. The name of the game in hockey is getting the puck to the right place and a drop pass is one of many ways to do it.

  6. #686
    I'm an Implant Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    North Shore of MA
    Posts
    1,740
    Quote Originally Posted by jmhusker View Post
    Wow... just catching up after some time away. I must say I wish I could send all of you to Austria so you could hang out in a Christmas Market and drink Rum Punch or Gluhwein and work off your sorrows. Having seen only one game this year, and a good one at that (UML), I find the lack of faith here surprising. This team looked much better to me than they have been. Matter of time before it translates to better results. I'm not sure what the 3 new kids will add but I'll bet the UVM tourney games go better than the last couple.

    And FDUDE... c'mon man. ESPN payday and "we do too many drop passes"? Really? Your first inference is absurd and the second one is just wrong. Nothing like a good drop pass to create offense. Check out Eichel's goal from last night (I had the honor of seeing it from the front row balcony). Neutral zone drop pass. Beautiful. The name of the game in hockey is getting the puck to the right place and a drop pass is one of many ways to do it.


    Well said, all of it. +1 for gluhvein, straight from Villach.

  7. #687
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    46,941

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by jmhusker View Post
    And FDUDE... c'mon man. ESPN payday and "we do too many drop passes"? Really? Your first inference is absurd and the second one is just wrong. Nothing like a good drop pass to create offense. Check out Eichel's goal from last night (I had the honor of seeing it from the front row balcony). Neutral zone drop pass. Beautiful. The name of the game in hockey is getting the puck to the right place and a drop pass is one of many ways to do it.
    If the drop pass is so effective at creating offense, why are we at barely 1.5 goals per game, and haven't seen double digit wins since 2016? I'm well aware that talented players can create good deceptions, especially the talents of Eichel, having recently taken FlagDUDETTE to her first NHL game. The fact of the matter is, the way that RPI executes the drop pass, it gives the defence ample time to set up. Not to mention, they do it so often (during the previous two years I'd say at least 2-3 times per period), it's now become an expectation where the opposition is prepared. Just like the cross ice pass during Appert's heyday. A great player with the puck has complete control over it and can do anything. The key is ANYTHING.

    As for the other angle, why else would football be not only preferred, but heavily advertised over hockey? What is the administration either bringing in or expecting to bring in with this switch? Only one explanation when it comes to the RPI administration: Follow the money.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  8. #688
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    195,498

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by fr. joe View Post
    (Belated) Hanukkah Sameach! Merry Christmas!

    Just writing to let you know I received a new assignment in July and have been pretty immersed in a new parish over the last several months.
    I've been posting only sporadically and just wanted to reach out to everyone on our thread. Been well. Been busy. I hope to be posting a bit more in the New Year.

    I did see Ralph during the SLU game -- his annual visit to HFH. Between that and starting the Brown game thread, I haven't done much with RPI hockey lately. I hope to see a few games soon.
    I didn't know that I was so privileged.

    I assume that your new assignment is still in the CD.

  9. #689
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    195,498

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Information about the 8 players who signed NLIs. This is the same as what I post on the recruit thread. Decent size on defense besides for Babichuk whom I consider Moore's replacement.
    Code:
     # Name                 Ps commitm. Team (League)                   Year  DOB      Ht    Wt  Hometown         NZ *
    21 Tristan Ashbrook #*   C 10/10/17 Lincoln Stars (USHL)            2019  07/16/98 5'10" 173 Manistique, MI   3.75
    55 Cory Babichuk #*     LD 11/02/14 Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL)      2019  09/28/98 5'10" 176 Edmonton, AB     3.75
     2 Dylan Davies #       LD 10/10/18 Austin Bruins (NAHL)            2019  02/09/01 6'02" 190 Traverse City, MI3.75
    12 Rory Herrman #       LW 08/21/18 Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)       2019  03/16/99 5'11" 195 Poway, CA        3.75
     4 Simon Kjellberg #    LD 11/08/18 Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)  2019  02/27/00 6'03" 202 Falun, Sweden    x.xx
     6 Mason Klee #         RD 10/02/18 Lincoln Stars (USHL)            2019  10/04/99 6'02" 185 Morrison, CO     3.75
    12 James McIsaac #    RW/C 10/23/18 Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)     2019  04/29/99 5'11" 183 Winnipeg, MB     3.50
    30 Brett Miller #        G 11/05/18 Austin Bruins (NAHL)            2019  04/26/99 6'02" 184 Northville, MI   3.50
    
    * In the RPI directory
    # Known to have signed National Letter of Intent
    Code:
     # Name                 Ps Team (League)                       Gm- G- A-  P- PM Next Gm
    21 Tristan Ashbrook      C Lincoln Stars (USHL)                14- 2- 3-  5- 12 12/28/18
    55 Cory Babichuk        LD Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL)          24- 6-12- 18- 22 12/19/18 
     2 Dylan Davies         LD Austin Bruins (NAHL)                24- 0- 3-  3- 23 12/28/18
    12 Rory Herrman         LW Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)           25- 6- 8- 14- 42 12/27/18
     4 Simon Kjellberg      LD Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)      26- 1- 1-  2-  4 12/27/18
     6 Mason Klee           RD Lincoln Stars (USHL)                25- 2- 3-  5- 46 12/28/18
    12 James McIsaac      C/RW Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)         22- 5- 7- 12- 31 12/19/18
    30 Brett Miller          G Austin Bruins (NAHL)            11- 7- 2-0-1.78-.920 12/28/18
    33                         Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL)  1- 0- 1-0-5.00-.839 12/28/18 (most probably gone)
                               total                           12- 7- 3-0-2.04-.914

  10. #690
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    195,498

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    We have two seniors on defense, Grant and Moore. If all four are coming than we probably are losing two. Will Reilly turn pro?
    FWIW, there are 5 women recruits on defense listed for the fall with only 2 graduating. However, the women's team has not released a NLI list and only 2 are known to have signed NLIs.

  11. #691
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    13,952

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Information about the 8 players who signed NLIs. This is the same as what I post on the recruit thread. Decent size on defense besides for Babichuk whom I consider Moore's replacement.
    Code:
     # Name                 Ps commitm. Team (League)                   Year  DOB      Ht    Wt  Hometown         NZ *
    21 Tristan Ashbrook #*   C 10/10/17 Lincoln Stars (USHL)            2019  07/16/98 5'10" 173 Manistique, MI   3.75
    55 Cory Babichuk #*     LD 11/02/14 Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL)      2019  09/28/98 5'10" 176 Edmonton, AB     3.75
     2 Dylan Davies #       LD 10/10/18 Austin Bruins (NAHL)            2019  02/09/01 6'02" 190 Traverse City, MI3.75
    12 Rory Herrman #       LW 08/21/18 Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)       2019  03/16/99 5'11" 195 Poway, CA        3.75
     4 Simon Kjellberg #    LD 11/08/18 Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)  2019  02/27/00 6'03" 202 Falun, Sweden    x.xx
     6 Mason Klee #         RD 10/02/18 Lincoln Stars (USHL)            2019  10/04/99 6'02" 185 Morrison, CO     3.75
    12 James McIsaac #    RW/C 10/23/18 Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)     2019  04/29/99 5'11" 183 Winnipeg, MB     3.50
    30 Brett Miller #        G 11/05/18 Austin Bruins (NAHL)            2019  04/26/99 6'02" 184 Northville, MI   3.50
    
    * In the RPI directory
    # Known to have signed National Letter of Intent
    Code:
     # Name                 Ps Team (League)                       Gm- G- A-  P- PM Next Gm
    21 Tristan Ashbrook      C Lincoln Stars (USHL)                14- 2- 3-  5- 12 12/28/18
    55 Cory Babichuk        LD Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL)          24- 6-12- 18- 22 12/19/18 
     2 Dylan Davies         LD Austin Bruins (NAHL)                24- 0- 3-  3- 23 12/28/18
    12 Rory Herrman         LW Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)           25- 6- 8- 14- 42 12/27/18
     4 Simon Kjellberg      LD Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)      26- 1- 1-  2-  4 12/27/18
     6 Mason Klee           RD Lincoln Stars (USHL)                25- 2- 3-  5- 46 12/28/18
    12 James McIsaac      C/RW Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)         22- 5- 7- 12- 31 12/19/18
    30 Brett Miller          G Austin Bruins (NAHL)            11- 7- 2-0-1.78-.920 12/28/18
    33                         Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL)  1- 0- 1-0-5.00-.839 12/28/18 (most probably gone)
                               total                           12- 7- 3-0-2.04-.914
    And not a goal scorer among them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  12. #692
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    195,498

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    And not a goal scorer among them.
    I thought at one time that Herrman would be because he scored 5 goals in his first 10 games, but he has tailed off a lot. https://www.ushl.com/view#/player/76...robert-herrman

  13. #693
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    46,941

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I thought at one time that Herrman would be because he scored 5 goals in his first 10 games, but he has tailed off a lot. https://www.ushl.com/view#/player/76...robert-herrman
    We could have as many goal scorers as we want. How we use that talent is what the real question is. Remember how Laliberté was incredibly misused as a goal scorer. The kid had a goal a game, and then completely fell off. Sure, the game is more difficult from Ontario Juniors to NCAA, but unless we see a goal scorer be properly utilized, it's not going to help that we get one.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  14. #694
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    195,498

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I thought at one time that Herrman would be because he scored 5 goals in his first 10 games, but he has tailed off a lot. https://www.ushl.com/view#/player/76...robert-herrman
    I should add that I have heard a couple of times on Chicago Steel broadcasts that the Wolfman has a howling shot.
    That's Gunnarwolfe Fontaine, of course, but we won't see him apparently for at least another year.

    Edit: I am trying to refrain from also calling him a gunner, but I can't.

  15. #695
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    13,952

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    We could have as many goal scorers as we want. How we use that talent is what the real question is. Remember how Laliberté was incredibly misused as a goal scorer. The kid had a goal a game, and then completely fell off. Sure, the game is more difficult from Ontario Juniors to NCAA, but unless we see a goal scorer be properly utilized, it's not going to help that we get one.
    I would like the opportunity to cross that bridge when we come to it. Right now it is just a bridge too far.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  16. #696
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    116

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    We could have as many goal scorers as we want. How we use that talent is what the real question is. Remember how Laliberté was incredibly misused as a goal scorer. The kid had a goal a game, and then completely fell off. Sure, the game is more difficult from Ontario Juniors to NCAA, but unless we see a goal scorer be properly utilized, it's not going to help that we get one.
    That is the statement of reality. There are 3 junior forwards on this team that have had a history of scoring goals in their careers but have not been able to do it effectively at RPI. You might say that's hogwash but Hayhurst, Burgess and Polino, and yes Polino for those of you who don't think he can score goals, are all capable of putting the puck in the net. Polino in his last year of Juniors was on pace for over 20 goals until his season was cut short by injury. That was in the USHL. Burgess put up 38 goals in the NA his last year and Hayhurst wasn't a goal scorer in Juniors but put up 12 last year. One could say that was a fluke because he didn't score in Jrs. but what made him do better last year than this year? Its a matter of how they have been and are being used at RPI and more importantly who they have played with. Laugh all you want about Chemistry but it is huge. As for the List of players signing NLI's, you have 5 who are coming out of the best JR league for college hockey players. That's a sign of improvement over past recruiting classes.

  17. #697
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    13,952

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    That is the statement of reality. There are 3 junior forwards on this team that have had a history of scoring goals in their careers but have not been able to do it effectively at RPI. You might say that's hogwash but Hayhurst, Burgess and Polino, and yes Polino for those of you who don't think he can score goals, are all capable of putting the puck in the net. Polino in his last year of Juniors was on pace for over 20 goals until his season was cut short by injury. That was in the USHL. Burgess put up 38 goals in the NA his last year and Hayhurst wasn't a goal scorer in Juniors but put up 12 last year. One could say that was a fluke because he didn't score in Jrs. but what made him do better last year than this year? Its a matter of how they have been and are being used at RPI and more importantly who they have played with. Laugh all you want about Chemistry but it is huge. As for the List of players signing NLI's, you have 5 who are coming out of the best JR league for college hockey players. That's a sign of improvement over past recruiting classes.
    I couldn't disagree more. All of those guys have plenty of opportunities to score in every game, and they come up empty. They shoot wide or high or pass up the shots. It is not how they are being used, it is there own shortcomings. Watch the game.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  18. #698
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Side, HFH
    Posts
    1,118

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I didn't know that I was so privileged.

    I assume that your new assignment is still in the CD.
    Ralph, you are high up on the list...

    I'm in a parish in Albany so still in the CD.

  19. #699
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    195,498

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    I am surprised that the NLI announcement didn't mention that Kjellberg is a NY Ranger draft choice. I am also surprised, but less so, that it didn't mention that Herrman will be our third USNTDP player after D'Amigo and Haggerty. The "less so" is because he only played three games there.

  20. #700
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    1,033

    Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    That is the statement of reality. There are 3 junior forwards on this team that have had a history of scoring goals in their careers but have not been able to do it effectively at RPI. You might say that's hogwash but Hayhurst, Burgess and Polino, and yes Polino for those of you who don't think he can score goals, are all capable of putting the puck in the net. Polino in his last year of Juniors was on pace for over 20 goals until his season was cut short by injury. That was in the USHL. Burgess put up 38 goals in the NA his last year and Hayhurst wasn't a goal scorer in Juniors but put up 12 last year. One could say that was a fluke because he didn't score in Jrs. but what made him do better last year than this year? Its a matter of how they have been and are being used at RPI and more importantly who they have played with. Laugh all you want about Chemistry but it is huge. As for the List of players signing NLI's, you have 5 who are coming out of the best JR league for college hockey players. That's a sign of improvement over past recruiting classes.
    So the fact that Hayhurst scored disproportionately to his junior career shows he's got some natural goal scoring capability and should score even more if used properly, while Burgess and Polino scoring less than their junior stats might predict shows that they also aren't being used properly. How does a coach win in that scenario? If he doesn't get the expected from a player he has failed, and if he gets more from a player we raise the expectations until he has also failed.

    In baseball there's the widely known concept of a AAAA player. That's a guy that performs well in the minors, even up to AAA, but whose skills don't translate to the major leagues. Burgess, in particular, seems to fit that model at the D-I level. I had high hopes for him and he's got skills as evidenced in his last junior campaign, but at the collegiate level he seems just a half-stride behind in a wide-open game and not quite strong enough or quick enough with his stick work to pick up a lot of goals around the net. He's more of a role player than the offensive star we wanted and need.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •