Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Our pass defense has been terrible all season. Even if you watch the not-so-close wins closely, you'll notice once they start passing, they catch up.

Sure, it's great we make the Stagg Bowl tournament, hopefully we can do something with it.
    I arrived at RPI just after the very entertaining Bob Barron - Kal Konston era ended. I believe Coach Dick Riendeau was quoted in the Poly after loss in the Fall of '73 that our defense was 'mesmerized by the sight of the ball in flight.'

Comment

1962 0-7-0 .000 36-337 Ed Hoffman
      1963 0-6-0 .000 16-200 Dick Riendeau
      1964 0-6-1 .071 54-191 Dick Riendeau
      1965 1-6-0 .143 79-156 Dick Riendeau

This is a quick snap shot of the RPI football team record for a four year period. I was fortunate enough to miss the first year listed as I only started at RPI after that first year. Being outscored 884-185 and going 1-25-1 did not inspire much football support. (If you include the previous 2 years it was even worse). Even that one victory against Middlebury was totally unexpected. I am sure RB remembers those last two seasons listed very well.

Seeing the program today and over the past 20-25 years is an entirely new world. Our pass defense needs some work but when I look back at where we came from so long ago, it is just an incredible transformation that is fun and exciting to watch.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

This is a quick snap shot of the RPI football team record for a four year period. I was fortunate enough to miss the first year listed as I only started at RPI after that first year. Being outscored 884-185 and going 1-25-1 did not inspire much football support. (If you include the previous 2 years it was even worse). Even that one victory against Middlebury was totally unexpected. I am sure RB remembers those last two seasons listed very well.

Seeing the program today and over the past 20-25 years is an entirely new world. Our pass defense needs some work but when I look back at where we came from so long ago, it is just an incredible transformation that is fun and exciting to watch.
        These days it isn't clear if I remember it or remember remembering it.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Looks like RPI-TV will be able to cover the tournament game: http://www.rpitv.org/productions/140...vs-husson-univ

Comment

Looks like RPI-TV will be able to cover the tournament game: http://www.rpitv.org/productions/140...vs-husson-univ
            Oh, that tournament! I thought that you meant the ECAC Hockey tournament.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Oh, that tournament! I thought that you meant the ECAC Hockey tournament.
              That would mean plural use of "games".

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

I didn't enroll at RPI until 1966, so I was lucky enough that the football team posted its first winning season in 17 years when I was a freshman.

After that 1966 season, Dick Riendeau related a story about his interview when he applied for the job as RPI's head coach.

He asked, "Can Rensselaer ever play .500 football?"

And he was told that the answer was no - it was not realistic to think that such a thing could ever happen.

This year, we're probably going to feel disappointed if RPI loses to Husson and winds up with a record of 8-2.

RPI football sure has come a long way.

Comment

I missed 1962 also. The 4 years prior to 1962 were 0 wins also. The W in 1965 was on radio and word spread quickly that RPI was ahead.

Comment

Good thing that I am not going to Troy this weekend.

It could be faulty memory, but the only time that I recall classes being cancelled was immediately after the Holiday break one year.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good thing that I am not going to Troy this weekend.

It could be faulty memory, but the only time that I recall classes being cancelled was immediately after the Holiday break one year.
                      I remember a 2 hour delay and day cancellation once each when I was there. Also another cancellation when a former student killed himself in the CII stairwell, and then most recently when they had to cope with losing an election.

Comment

I remember a 2 hour delay and day cancellation once each when I was there. Also another cancellation when a former student killed himself in the CII stairwell, and then most recently when they had to cope with losing an election.
                        Where is the 102 stairwell?
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Where is the 102 stairwell?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

This is actually an effective use of the smilies.
                            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Up 14-7 at the break, but we still don't know how to defend a pass.

Comment

RPI wins going away 38-14. Game was closer than the score but we scored on a Hail Mary pass to end the first half up 14-7. Then played a much better second half to lead by 17 points before an 80+ yard punt return (never should have kicked to the kid who is one of the best in our division-just kick to the sidelines) Made it a 10 point lead and a little nervous. Got to 31-14 and Husson tried to score late (meaningless at that stage) but we intercepted and ran it back all the way to end at 38-14. We were favored by about 14 and the game unfolded about as predicted.
                                Next week on the road and Brockport State is another story as they are ranked 4th in the nation and deserve that ranking. Congratulations to our boys who live to play another day!

Update: after the results of today's games the early odds on next week's games are up and it looks like it could be tough for us. RPI winning odds listed as 5%
                                Brockport St Winning odds at 95%

Median predicted score is Brockport St-33 RPI-10
                                Last edited by DrDemento; 11-17-2018, 03:19 PM.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X