Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
    I don't want to rain on the parade at all, but it is important to remember that these three wins have come against three other sub-.500 teams. There are definite signs of improvement, but we've largely just been playing our new talent against other bad teams. The goal scoring is up, but largely because we played SLU (who sucks) and UConn (who sucks maybe a little less, but holy crap was their goalie bad last night). We have played just two games in which we scored more than two goals that didn't come against SLU or UConn, and I've already stated how I have no idea how to interpret them.

I want us to be good, and I think I am usually on the more optimistic end of the spectrum when it comes to posting here. I want nothing more for us to run off 8 league wins and end up in 5th, but until we beat a Yale or Cornell, I'm not really going to believe we're anything but the 10th best team in the league.
    We did also take Northeastern (yes I understand they were without their star goaltender but their GF shows they're no slouch in that department) and Harvard to overtime, which is a good sign. Let's also remember that we lost to UCONN earlier in the year, so there is improvement there at least. Sometimes you need a SLU or a UCONN to get over the hump of what needs to be done to put the puck in the net and finish out a game. Sure, at the end of the day, to slightly amend John Kennedy's common statement: Losers ask how, while winners ask how many. And anyone suggesting we're heading towards the top right now is out of their mind. What we can say, though, is that we're becoming more competitive. Step one of convincing ourselves that we can get the W is done. Now let's build on that and apply it further. Let's see if we can get ourselves a trophy on Saturday.

As for how to see Union, never underestimate the importance of the match-up. Some things just happen to go certain ways, regardless of how the two teams are doing. Heck, look at our match-up with Cornell over the past few years; I wouldn't be surprised to see that continue. On the other side of the coin, Brown's had our number more often than not, perhaps that's also a match-up sign?

Comment

I was so looking forward to seeing just my.second game at the Hartford Civic Center since April 13, 1997. The first was when we played UNH in an ECAC-HE doubleheader a few year after the Whale left. As a formerSTH I could not bring myself to support a Rangers farm team. With our team seemingly playing better, I was expecting a win. Then the flu went through me like the Nazis through Poland. I was so sick I couldn’t even listen to the game. Thanks to Ralph and FD08 I was able to get score updates. For those that haven’t done so yet, get a flu shot.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
        I was so looking forward to seeing just my.second game at the Hartford Civic Center since April 13, 1997. The first was when we played UNH in an ECAC-HE doubleheader a few year after the Whale left. As a formerSTH I could not bring myself to support a Rangers farm team. With our team seemingly playing better, I was expecting a win. Then the flu went through me like the Nazis through Poland. I was so sick I couldn’t even listen to the game. Thanks to Ralph and FD08 I was able to get score updates. For those that haven’t done so yet, get a flu shot.
        Are you better now?
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Are you better now?
          Better yes. OK no. After 48 miserable hours i seem to have started on the improvement path over night. Thanks for the score updates.

Comment

I don't want to rain on the parade at all, but it is important to remember that these three wins have come against three other sub-.500 teams. There are definite signs of improvement, but we've largely just been playing our new talent against other bad teams. The goal scoring is up, but largely because we played SLU (who sucks) and UConn (who sucks maybe a little less, but holy crap was their goalie bad last night). We have played just two games in which we scored more than two goals that didn't come against SLU or UConn, and I've already stated how I have no idea how to interpret them.

I want us to be good, and I think I am usually on the more optimistic end of the spectrum when it comes to posting here. I want nothing more for us to run off 8 league wins and end up in 5th, but until we beat a Yale or Cornell, I'm not really going to believe we're anything but the 10th best team in the league.
            I posted a tweet from Reilly Hamilton somewhere in the game thread which includes a picture of Reilly, you, Rebecca, and one other woman.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              As for how to see Union, never underestimate the importance of the match-up. Some things just happen to go certain ways, regardless of how the two teams are doing. Heck, look at our match-up with Cornell over the past few years; I wouldn't be surprised to see that continue. On the other side of the coin, Brown's had our number more often than not, perhaps that's also a match-up sign?
              That's kind of what I was getting at. I'm more than happy to have taken four points from that weekend (doing considerable damage to Union's PWR is a nice bonus too), but I basically feel like we have to take it out of consideration when thinking about the team. Weird rivalry voodoo pushed us to that win more than ability. Maybe the real secret is that we just need to learn to hate every other ECAC team.

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              I posted a tweet from Reilly Hamilton somewhere in the game thread which includes a picture of Reilly, you, Rebecca, and one other woman.
              👍
              Last edited by lugnut92; 01-17-2019, 03:05 PM.
              RPI Pep Band
              GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
              2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
              2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Observation from the Left coast, taking Harvard and Northeastern to OT is a good sign of things to come, Also a marked decrease in penalties vs the Appert years is another positive sign. More goals are still needed.

And who is this Zeiky guy?
                GO DU !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                  Observation from the Left coast, taking Harvard and Northeastern to OT is a good sign of things to come, Also a marked decrease in penalties vs the Appert years is another positive sign. More goals are still needed.

And who is this Zeiky guy?
                  Chase Zieky (pronounced zee-kee) is a transfer from Providence College. He had to sit out the second half of last season and the first half of this year due to NCAA transfer rules.

Comment

Any word on Polino's injury? He didn't look good going off the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                      Chase Zieky (pronounced zee-kee) is a transfer from Providence College. He had to sit out the second half of last season and the first half of this year due to NCAA transfer rules.
                      Also FWIW, he is a nephew of Joel Quenneville.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Has anyone else been involved in more than 1/2 of his team’s goals? That’s carrying a massive burden, particularly for a set-up guy on a team without any snipers to bury them.

Comment

That's kind of what I was getting at. I'm more than happy to have taken four points from that weekend (doing considerable damage to Union's PWR is a nice bonus too), but I basically feel like we have to take it out of consideration when thinking about the team. Weird rivalry voodoo pushed us to that win more than ability. Maybe the real secret is that we just need to learn to hate every other ECAC team.

��
                          You know who I blame for ruining the CCT rivalry...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            You know who I blame for ruining the CCT rivalry...
                            Obama?
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                              Better yes. OK no. After 48 miserable hours i seem to have started on the improvement path over night. Thanks for the score updates.
                              Flu shot more than likely would NOT have prevented this. This year's shot has proven to be far more effective than last year but still working only at about 50%. the last few years has been hard on the CDC getting a handle on the make up of the virus pool early enough. Last year the shot was as close to worthless as possible. but saying that, no question it does most often make the disease process more tolerable with a faster recovery. People who refuse to take the shot give all sorts of reasons for not taking it but truth be told, in this country the flu kills an average of 40,000 people per year. And that is only because we have yet to see a major shift in the flu virus make up. If that ever happens, we could v3ry well see a pandemic like the Spanish flu here in 1918 where millions died. In spite of all sorts of medical advances, we really do not have adequate treatments for many viral diseases and the flu is far more contagious than most of them.
                              Those who have never had the flu have been quite fortunate. It is not like a bad cold. It hits suddenly and you can feel like a truck ran over you. best advice, if you have no absolute contraindication to the shot (like certain allergies), take it every year about a month before the season starts in your location of the country (almost always begins earlier in the south and moves north). At about age 60 take the first of the 2 available pneumococcal pneumonia shots (Prevnar 13) and a year later take the second which boosts immunity against 23 separate strains. This is not fool proof and you may still fall quite ill but it is the very least you can do to avoid some really serious stuff.
                              Now back to hockey-RPI is only a slight 3-2 underdog for Saturday with a 40% chance of victory. If we are healthy (and we never know that until game time) my money would be on RPI but only by a goal. Hoping i will be here to start the score thread but I will most certainly try to start the next one for a league game as I am on my longest hot streak ever (2 in a row). Of course I want to see all wins from now on but I must say this team just looks better in so many fundamental ways now than it has for some time. It is starting to be fun to be an RPI fan again. LGR!!!
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Obama?
                                And he would blame Bush! But i think it was the Russian collusion.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X