Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Information about the 8 players who signed NLIs. This is the same as what I post on the recruit thread. Decent size on defense besides for Babichuk whom I consider Moore's replacement.
    Code:
     # Name                 Ps commitm. Team (League)                   Year  DOB      Ht    Wt  Hometown         NZ *
    21 Tristan Ashbrook #*   C 10/10/17 Lincoln Stars (USHL)            2019  07/16/98 5'10" 173 Manistique, MI   3.75
    55 Cory Babichuk #*     LD 11/02/14 Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL)      2019  09/28/98 5'10" 176 Edmonton, AB     3.75
     2 Dylan Davies #       LD 10/10/18 Austin Bruins (NAHL)            2019  02/09/01 6'02" 190 Traverse City, MI3.75
    12 Rory Herrman #       LW 08/21/18 Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)       2019  03/16/99 5'11" 195 Poway, CA        3.75
     4 Simon Kjellberg #    LD 11/08/18 Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)  2019  02/27/00 6'03" 202 Falun, Sweden    x.xx
     6 Mason Klee #         RD 10/02/18 Lincoln Stars (USHL)            2019  10/04/99 6'02" 185 Morrison, CO     3.75
    12 James McIsaac #    RW/C 10/23/18 Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)     2019  04/29/99 5'11" 183 Winnipeg, MB     3.50
    30 Brett Miller #        G 11/05/18 Austin Bruins (NAHL)            2019  04/26/99 6'02" 184 Northville, MI   3.50

* In the RPI directory
    # Known to have signed National Letter of Intent
    Code:
     # Name                 Ps Team (League)                       Gm- G- A-  P- PM Next Gm
    21 Tristan Ashbrook      C Lincoln Stars (USHL)                14- 2- 3-  5- 12 12/28/18
    55 Cory Babichuk        LD Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL)          24- 6-12- 18- 22 12/19/18 
     2 Dylan Davies         LD Austin Bruins (NAHL)                24- 0- 3-  3- 23 12/28/18
    12 Rory Herrman         LW Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)           25- 6- 8- 14- 42 12/27/18
     4 Simon Kjellberg      LD Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)      26- 1- 1-  2-  4 12/27/18
     6 Mason Klee           RD Lincoln Stars (USHL)                25- 2- 3-  5- 46 12/28/18
    12 James McIsaac      C/RW Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)         22- 5- 7- 12- 31 12/19/18
    30 Brett Miller          G Austin Bruins (NAHL)            11- 7- 2-0-1.78-.920 12/28/18
    33                         Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL)  1- 0- 1-0-5.00-.839 12/28/18 (most probably gone)
                               total                           12- 7- 3-0-2.04-.914
    And not a goal scorer among them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      And not a goal scorer among them.
      I thought at one time that Herrman would be because he scored 5 goals in his first 10 games, but he has tailed off a lot. https://www.ushl.com/view#/player/76...robert-herrman
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I thought at one time that Herrman would be because he scored 5 goals in his first 10 games, but he has tailed off a lot. https://www.ushl.com/view#/player/76...robert-herrman
        We could have as many goal scorers as we want. How we use that talent is what the real question is. Remember how Laliberté was incredibly misused as a goal scorer. The kid had a goal a game, and then completely fell off. Sure, the game is more difficult from Ontario Juniors to NCAA, but unless we see a goal scorer be properly utilized, it's not going to help that we get one.

Comment

I should add that I have heard a couple of times on Chicago Steel broadcasts that the Wolfman has a howling shot.
          That's Gunnarwolfe Fontaine, of course, but we won't see him apparently for at least another year.

Edit: I am trying to refrain from also calling him a gunner, but I can't.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            We could have as many goal scorers as we want. How we use that talent is what the real question is. Remember how Laliberté was incredibly misused as a goal scorer. The kid had a goal a game, and then completely fell off. Sure, the game is more difficult from Ontario Juniors to NCAA, but unless we see a goal scorer be properly utilized, it's not going to help that we get one.
            I would like the opportunity to cross that bridge when we come to it. Right now it is just a bridge too far.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            Gary Player

Comment

That is the statement of reality. There are 3 junior forwards on this team that have had a history of scoring goals in their careers but have not been able to do it effectively at RPI. You might say that's hogwash but Hayhurst, Burgess and Polino, and yes Polino for those of you who don't think he can score goals, are all capable of putting the puck in the net. Polino in his last year of Juniors was on pace for over 20 goals until his season was cut short by injury. That was in the USHL. Burgess put up 38 goals in the NA his last year and Hayhurst wasn't a goal scorer in Juniors but put up 12 last year. One could say that was a fluke because he didn't score in Jrs. but what made him do better last year than this year? Its a matter of how they have been and are being used at RPI and more importantly who they have played with. Laugh all you want about Chemistry but it is huge. As for the List of players signing NLI's, you have 5 who are coming out of the best JR league for college hockey players. That's a sign of improvement over past recruiting classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                That is the statement of reality. There are 3 junior forwards on this team that have had a history of scoring goals in their careers but have not been able to do it effectively at RPI. You might say that's hogwash but Hayhurst, Burgess and Polino, and yes Polino for those of you who don't think he can score goals, are all capable of putting the puck in the net. Polino in his last year of Juniors was on pace for over 20 goals until his season was cut short by injury. That was in the USHL. Burgess put up 38 goals in the NA his last year and Hayhurst wasn't a goal scorer in Juniors but put up 12 last year. One could say that was a fluke because he didn't score in Jrs. but what made him do better last year than this year? Its a matter of how they have been and are being used at RPI and more importantly who they have played with. Laugh all you want about Chemistry but it is huge. As for the List of players signing NLI's, you have 5 who are coming out of the best JR league for college hockey players. That's a sign of improvement over past recruiting classes.
                I couldn't disagree more. All of those guys have plenty of opportunities to score in every game, and they come up empty. They shoot wide or high or pass up the shots. It is not how they are being used, it is there own shortcomings. Watch the game.
                Benjamin Franklin
                Gary Player

Comment

I didn't know that I was so privileged.

I assume that your new assignment is still in the CD.
                  Ralph, you are high up on the list...

I'm in a parish in Albany so still in the CD.

Comment

I am surprised that the NLI announcement didn't mention that Kjellberg is a NY Ranger draft choice. I am also surprised, but less so, that it didn't mention that Herrman will be our third USNTDP player after D'Amigo and Haggerty. The "less so" is because he only played three games there.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

So the fact that Hayhurst scored disproportionately to his junior career shows he's got some natural goal scoring capability and should score even more if used properly, while Burgess and Polino scoring less than their junior stats might predict shows that they also aren't being used properly. How does a coach win in that scenario? If he doesn't get the expected from a player he has failed, and if he gets more from a player we raise the expectations until he has also failed.

In baseball there's the widely known concept of a AAAA player. That's a guy that performs well in the minors, even up to AAA, but whose skills don't translate to the major leagues. Burgess, in particular, seems to fit that model at the D-I level. I had high hopes for him and he's got skills as evidenced in his last junior campaign, but at the collegiate level he seems just a half-stride behind in a wide-open game and not quite strong enough or quick enough with his stick work to pick up a lot of goals around the net. He's more of a role player than the offensive star we wanted and need.

Comment

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-18-2018, 03:51 PM.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

As for the other angle, why else would football be not only preferred, but heavily advertised over hockey? What is the administration either bringing in or expecting to bring in with this switch? Only one explanation when it comes to the RPI administration: Follow the money.
                          RPI advertises its football games? Where?

Comment

I wouldn't say that it's a recruiting improvement, seeing how we've been having USHL players up the wazoo when the previous coach was in, and the BCHL I would say isn't all that far off when it comes to finding Canadian talent.

Here's another thought, though: One thing that seems to be quite the commonality with our teams the past few years is we've recruited glass men. Lots of injury issues both before and when they're here. Before you can't truly control, and if you're recruiting based on health you can miss quite a bit. However, seems to be quite a few injuries when they're here. Not sure how much of it can be controlled vs. heat of the moment, but we really need to find a way to keep them healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              I couldn't disagree more. All of those guys have plenty of opportunities to score in every game, and they come up empty. They shoot wide or high or pass up the shots. It is not how they are being used, it is there own shortcomings. Watch the game.
                              He does have a bit of a point, though. Some coaches actually instruct their players to look for pass first. You are correct, though, in that whomever is taking the shot, regardless of whether the player's name was mentioned, does need to focus on hitting the net.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                                So the fact that Hayhurst scored disproportionately to his junior career shows he's got some natural goal scoring capability and should score even more if used properly, while Burgess and Polino scoring less than their junior stats might predict shows that they also aren't being used properly. How does a coach win in that scenario? If he doesn't get the expected from a player he has failed, and if he gets more from a player we raise the expectations until he has also failed.

In baseball there's the widely known concept of a AAAA player. That's a guy that performs well in the minors, even up to AAA, but whose skills don't translate to the major leagues. Burgess, in particular, seems to fit that model at the D-I level. I had high hopes for him and he's got skills as evidenced in his last junior campaign, but at the collegiate level he seems just a half-stride behind in a wide-open game and not quite strong enough or quick enough with his stick work to pick up a lot of goals around the net. He's more of a role player than the offensive star we wanted and need.
                                And isn't it the responsibility of the coaching staff of a development league to help the players get back on stride, better with the stick, and whatever other skill needs improvement? Obviously if it doesn't work then it doesn't work as that's why potential is very fickle, but if Ottawa saw something in Burgess, then you'd think he has the capability to get himself up to the professional level.

As for how the staff uses players, it was not too long ago in this thread that it was mentioned that a great coach molds the system based upon the talents of the players. If something really gels, get as much as you can out of it!

Comment

Working...
                                X