Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Has UConn ever been good at either?
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        dip**** tweet

Has UConn ever been good at either?
        doesn't matter; won game.

RPI looked the better of the two teams tonight, but both teams were very sloppy. Also, UConn's goalie gave up rebounds on basically every puck that touched him.
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

"In the early minutes of the third quarter, ..." Must be a football writer.
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-17-2019, 03:47 AM.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

After last season, before each game I had the feeling we would lose every one of them. Beginning this season I still had that feeling. Gradually, but especially after we added 3 valuable transfers, I started to have the feeling we were playing well enough to win some of the games. perhaps it was the anesthesia I was under but I am just starting to get a new inking that we actually could win almost any game. I do not think this is 1984 by any means, but i am still hopeful that fairly soon I will start to feel that we can win EVERY game. I got a twinge of that when we went up 2-1 at Potsdam but knew that somehow that could not last just yet and putting us down to 3 skaters with penalties and then calling another one rather quickly completely changed that possible result around.
                We are getting closer and although a bit early to say this, I think we have a coach now who could make this happen. Some of us have been around this program for a very long time and suffered through some bad seasons and even some even longer bad spells. After a few of those you sometimes can get a feeling that things are about to change. The glass is starting to become half full for me (of course with a premium Vodka) and there is a long way to go but the word 'optimistic' is creeping back into my vocabulary. Just my own thoughts and i may be alone in this thinking.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

We already have more wins this year than last. Not saying we should take the puck and go home, mind you, but this is an improvement that at least I'm expecting. I'd like to see us get close to 500 if possible (12 games to go, we would have to win 10 of them, not counting any sort of playoff shenanigans), 500 in league if possible (7 out of 11), but short of that, at least use the 3 wins in 4 games as a building block when we start playing tougher competition.

This really is a new team since Christmas break. Hopefully we can make this an all year occurrence next time around, as I'm not liking that old habit.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                    After last season, before each game I had the feeling we would lose every one of them. Beginning this season I still had that feeling. Gradually, but especially after we added 3 valuable transfers, I started to have the feeling we were playing well enough to win some of the games. perhaps it was the anesthesia I was under but I am just starting to get a new inking that we actually could win almost any game. I do not think this is 1984 by any means, but i am still hopeful that fairly soon I will start to feel that we can win EVERY game. I got a twinge of that when we went up 2-1 at Potsdam but knew that somehow that could not last just yet and putting us down to 3 skaters with penalties and then calling another one rather quickly completely changed that possible result around.
                    We are getting closer and although a bit early to say this, I think we have a coach now who could make this happen. Some of us have been around this program for a very long time and suffered through some bad seasons and even some even longer bad spells. After a few of those you sometimes can get a feeling that things are about to change. The glass is starting to become half full for me (of course with a premium Vodka) and there is a long way to go but the word 'optimistic' is creeping back into my vocabulary. Just my own thoughts and i may be alone in this thinking.
                    Completely agree with this. The team is playing well and giving themselves a chance in most games. They’re learning how to win.

This is no longer a team you should expect the worst from. Something good is brewing in the HFH.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      You're not alone.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        As Ralph said, you are not alone. With the emergence of the three new members of the team, the lines seem to be coming together.
                        Burgess is finally putting the puck in the net, and Wiffen is also playing his best hockey.
                        The coach has had the team playing a much better style, but the goals just weren't coming. Now that we are getting some goals, we can start to think about winning any game.
                        At least, that is the way I see it.
                        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                        Benjamin Franklin
                        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                          As Ralph said, you are not alone. With the emergence of the three new members of the team, the lines seem to be coming together.
                          Burgess is finally putting the puck in the net, and Wiffen is also playing his best hockey.
                          The coach has had the team playing a much better style, but the goals just weren't coming. Now that we are getting some goals, we can start to think about winning any game.
                          At least, that is the way I see it.
                          Actually they are setting me up for disappointment.

Hopefully if we end up with say a dozen wins they won't give Coach Smith a long extension to his contract. He would deserve accolades and maybe a bonus, but one year does not mean a trend, just like a short or localized cold spell does not prove that there is no global warming. JMHO.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Actually they are setting me up for disappointment.

Hopefully if we end up with say a dozen wins they won't give Coach Smith a long extension to his contract. He would deserve accolades and maybe a bonus, but one year does not mean a trend, just like a short or localized cold spell does not prove that there is no global warming. JMHO.
                            That would certainly be a test for Dr. McIlroy. However, considering he effectively said to heck with contracts when cleaning house a couple years ago, I don't think he'll make the mistake that Col. Knowlton made. I don't see the Dr. evaluating any sort of contract until he has more information on what I would hope to be an expectation of consistent success. We already see a commitment to Coach Smith in giving him the tools he needs for success, considering what the administration went through so he could have his choice of men on the ice while cutting several of those who came in prior.

As for the whole global warming simile, learn from one of the morals of "The Wizard of Oz": Pay attention to what's happening behind the curtain, for things are not always as they are advertised.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              That would certainly be a test for Dr. McIlroy. However, considering he effectively said to heck with contracts when cleaning house a couple years ago, I don't think he'll make the mistake that Col. Knowlton made. I don't see the Dr. evaluating any sort of contract until he has more information on what I would hope to be an expectation of consistent success. We already see a commitment to Coach Smith in giving him the tools he needs for success, considering what the administration went through so he could have his choice of men on the ice while cutting several of those who came in prior.

As for the whole global warming simile, learn from one of the morals of "The Wizard of Oz": Pay attention to what's happening behind the curtain, for things are not always as they are advertised.
                              But they are sometimes as advertised.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I don't want to rain on the parade at all, but it is important to remember that these three wins have come against three other sub-.500 teams. There are definite signs of improvement, but we've largely just been playing our new talent against other bad teams. The goal scoring is up, but largely because we played SLU (who sucks) and UConn (who sucks maybe a little less, but holy crap was their goalie bad last night). We have played just two games in which we scored more than two goals that didn't come against SLU or UConn, and I've already stated how I have no idea how to interpret them.

I want us to be good, and I think I am usually on the more optimistic end of the spectrum when it comes to posting here. I want nothing more for us to run off 8 league wins and end up in 5th, but until we beat a Yale or Cornell, I'm not really going to believe we're anything but the 10th best team in the league.
                                RPI Pep Band
                                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Working...
                                X