Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Flu shot more than likely would NOT have prevented this. This year's shot has proven to be far more effective than last year but still working only at about 50%. the last few years has been hard on the CDC getting a handle on the make up of the virus pool early enough. Last year the shot was as close to worthless as possible. but saying that, no question it does most often make the disease process more tolerable with a faster recovery. People who refuse to take the shot give all sorts of reasons for not taking it but truth be told, in this country the flu kills an average of 40,000 people per year. And that is only because we have yet to see a major shift in the flu virus make up. If that ever happens, we could v3ry well see a pandemic like the Spanish flu here in 1918 where millions died. In spite of all sorts of medical advances, we really do not have adequate treatments for many viral diseases and the flu is far more contagious than most of them.
    Those who have never had the flu have been quite fortunate. It is not like a bad cold. It hits suddenly and you can feel like a truck ran over you. best advice, if you have no absolute contraindication to the shot (like certain allergies), take it every year about a month before the season starts in your location of the country (almost always begins earlier in the south and moves north). At about age 60 take the first of the 2 available pneumococcal pneumonia shots (Prevnar 13) and a year later take the second which boosts immunity against 23 separate strains. This is not fool proof and you may still fall quite ill but it is the very least you can do to avoid some really serious stuff.
    Now back to hockey-RPI is only a slight 3-2 underdog for Saturday with a 40% chance of victory. If we are healthy (and we never know that until game time) my money would be on RPI but only by a goal. Hoping i will be here to start the score thread but I will most certainly try to start the next one for a league game as I am on my longest hot streak ever (2 in a row). Of course I want to see all wins from now on but I must say this team just looks better in so many fundamental ways now than it has for some time. It is starting to be fun to be an RPI fan again. LGR!!!
    Probably true, but if you only get a 20% marginal benefit on the severity or duration of symptoms, it would be worth it.

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
      Probably true, but if you only get a 20% marginal benefit on the severity or duration of symptoms, it would be worth it.
      That is what I have instructing patients for almost 50 years. When you are dealing with a potentially fatal infection, even if it only helps 20%, it is really worth it.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        He is going to try to get the women's schedule and will post it on eLynah if he does.
        I just received a message that this should show up within a week.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
          Has anyone else been involved in more than 1/2 of his team’s goals? That’s carrying a massive burden, particularly for a set-up guy on a team without any snipers to bury them.
          Not taking anything away from Hayhurst and his contributions to the team but of his 20 assists, 10 or half are secondary. Meaning they may not have come from him even touching the puck with his stick or with an intent to produce a scoring play, he simply just kept the play alive or away from the opposition. . His 10 primary assists are ones that created the scoring chance. Lappenen for example has 6 primary assists out of his 9. So his percentage of creating scoring chances is greater then Hayhurst. You can’t read everything into this numbers. Much the same as +/- Many factors go into these plays. To me a secondary assist is much like a loser point in the NHL. It’s nice to get it but did you really deserve it. Just my opinion.

Comment

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-19-2019, 12:23 PM.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Judging by Smith's comments, it would seem that Polino has a good shot at a "C" or an "A" on his shoulder next season.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                    Not taking anything away from Hayhurst and his contributions to the team but of his 20 assists, 10 or half are secondary. Meaning they may not have come from him even touching the puck with his stick or with an intent to produce a scoring play, he simply just kept the play alive or away from the opposition. . His 10 primary assists are ones that created the scoring chance. Lappenen for example has 6 primary assists out of his 9. So his percentage of creating scoring chances is greater then Hayhurst. You can’t read everything into this numbers. Much the same as +/- Many factors go into these plays. To me a secondary assist is much like a loser point in the NHL. It’s nice to get it but did you really deserve it. Just my opinion.
                    I don't know that it is reasonable to make blanket assumptions on matters like this. There are plenty of times when the secondary assist was the key play leading to the goal. A nice pass for a shot and a rebound put back by a 3rd player for instance. A breakout from the D end to launch a 2 on 1. A faceoff win back to the point followed by a shot and rebound. And there are plenty of primary assists that are nothing special. While the primary assist is often more important it isn't 2X the value of a secondary.
                    Last edited by jmhusker; 01-21-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                        I don't know that it is reasonable to make blanket assumptions on matters like this. There are plenty of times when the secondary assist was the key play leading to the goal. A nice pass for a shot and a rebound put back by a 3rd player for instance. A breakout from the D end to launch a 2 on 1. A faceoff win back to the point followed by a shot and rebound. And there are plenty of primary assists that are nothing special. While the primary assist is often more important it isn't 2X the value of a secondary.
                        What about adding to this, which is something that has happened a few times and a welcome change compared to recent past IMO, the D man keeping the puck in the zone on a close line play? Obviously there's only so much that you can really put on the sheet and assists are whomever last touched the puck, hence why the +/- is a thing. Whether they get a point or not, that's still very important to look at when scouting players.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          What about adding to this, which is something that has happened a few times and a welcome change compared to recent past IMO, the D man keeping the puck in the zone on a close line play? Obviously there's only so much that you can really put on the sheet and assists are whomever last touched the puck, hence why the +/- is a thing. Whether they get a point or not, that's still very important to look at when scouting players.
                          I would think that over the course of a season meaningless assists will tend to even out.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                            The previous poster stated and I'm paraphrasing that Hayhurst was carrying the team because he was involved in more than 50% of the teams offense. More goes into the offense than the points or +/-. Same can be said with the defensive aspects of the game. I'm not suggesting that Hayhurst is a reason for poor defensive play but one could say that since he has a +/- that's a negative and he's involved in so much of the teams offense that he's a cause of concern for his defensive play. With out the offensive scoring he potential could or would have the worst +/- on the team. Long winded but my point being he's not carrying the team on his shoulders, no one player is at this juncture of the season. Is he an integral part, absolutely. According to team stats, when he gets a point the teams record is 7-6. Polino when he gets a point the teams record is 5-3 and when Ott records a point the teams record is 2-0. One can make/ interpret stats in any way that they want to satisfy the direction that they may or may not want to lead a discussion

Comment

The previous poster stated and I'm paraphrasing that Hayhurst was carrying the team because he was involved in more than 50% of the teams offense. More goes into the offense than the points or +/-. Same can be said with the defensive aspects of the game. I'm not suggesting that Hayhurst is a reason for poor defensive play but one could say that since he has a +/- that's a negative and he's involved in so much of the teams offense that he's a cause of concern for his defensive play. With out the offensive scoring he potential could or would have the worst +/- on the team. Long winded but my point being he's not carrying the team on his shoulders, no one player is at this juncture of the season. Is he an integral part, absolutely. According to team stats, when he gets a point the teams record is 7-6. Polino when he gets a point the teams record is 5-3 and when Ott records a point the teams record is 2-0. One can make/ interpret stats in any way that they want to satisfy the direction that they may or may not want to lead a discussion
                              When I look at the first half of the season, in the question of if Hayhurst was carrying the team, I refer you to Coach Smith's postgame presser after the first Union game.

Looks like Polino's finally getting the message of "It's time to step up" after a year and a half. He certainly had a sophomore slump if I've seen one (albeit not quite as bad as Reilly, but at least it didn't take WR another half year to step up). Sure, the scoring is a lot more spread out now that Gornall and Zieky are getting their licks, and Wiffen's getting back in the thick of it, so it makes it a little easier on the others that we aren't completely depending on them, but it's a good lesson for the frosh and those sophomores currently in a slump: Step up and contribute. You don't have to be a hero, but you can certainly strengthen the team as a whole.

In speaking of Ott, what the heck happened there? Injury? Sophomore slump?

Comment

Hmmm... If I look at the team stats fpr +/- I get a grand total of -110 for the team. Given there are usually 18 (or is it 19 now?) for each game, the average player on the team would be about -6. Since Hayhurst is only -1, he is already doing much better than average. On top of that, I would assume he is on the ice almost every time they go for the extra attacker at the end of the game and as a result takes a hit for empty net goals against. My conclusion is that he is actually doing pretty well. If the average player on the team were doing equally well then the team would have a goal differential that is 18 higher which certainly would translate into a few more wins.

But... it's +/- ... a pretty noisy stat to try to draw conclusions from unless the number is extremely high (Bobby Orr) or extremely low (Ovechkin in his lazier years). For Hayhurst I'd say it says little other than he is performing above average for his team.

Comment

Working...
                                X