Bentley University Falcons 2018-19: Goodbye JAR, hello Bentley Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bentley University Falcons 2018-19: Goodbye JAR, hello Bentley Arena

Just a reminder that our first game ever against BC is 3 pm this Friday at Conte Forum.

I saw our 4-2 win over the U.S. Army at the Bentley Arena last Saturday night, and I thought that the Falcons played very well, although they still had to survive a 5-minute major. Cannot have any more of those, and especially against a team like BC.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Just a reminder that our first game ever against BC is 3 pm this Friday at Conte Forum.

I saw our 4-2 win over the U.S. Army at the Bentley Arena last Saturday night, and I thought that the Falcons played very well, although they still had to survive a 5-minute major. Cannot have any more of those, and especially against a team like BC.
      Another opponent checked off the wish list.
      Bentley University Hockey
      On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Final score from The Heights:

Heart and Hustle: 4
        Talent and Tradition: 2

Nice win for the program. Looking forward to seeing the Eagles visit Waltham in two years.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post

Nice win for the program. Looking forward to seeing the Eagles visit Waltham in two years.
          Great game for our Falcons. Made the most of our PP with a couple of goals, mostly stayed out of the penalty box, played team D, and made lots of nice shovel passes through the neutral zone.

Comment

I've heard they'll be visiting the new barn next season, but I may be mistaken. Whenever the game is, the Arena is going to be ROCKING. Will be a huge day for improving school spirit and a win would be monumental.

Moving forward... back on track! It's refreshing to pick up 3 wins in a row, including the BC game. Not only is it refreshing, but encouraging as well. Besides the 1st period, we OUTPLAYED that BC team. The Holy Cross game was a dominant one as well. The flow and pace that the boys are playing feels entirely different than it did earlier in the season. The freshman are finding their groove, and the older guys are playing really solid hockey.

I really like the lines that Soder has put out the last few games. This includes freshman defenseman Luke Orysiuk, who played his fist career game against BC and picked up his first career goal against Holy Cross on Saturday. He was also on the first power-play line. He was an All-NAHL defenseman out of Fairbanks and a pretty highly regarded prospect, so I'm wondering if he's only seeing his first action now due to injury. Regardless, he impressed me all weekend long and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him as the season moves on.

Another guy who has impressed me recently is Michael Zuffante. The sophomore put up 6 points in 35 games last season, but has already matched that total through 11 games this year. He has also been pretty good on the PP, picking up a goal against HC Saturday. I really like the way he is seeing the puck, and his ability to find his man anywhere on the ice. Hopefully he can keep up the good play.

We should pick up a vote or two in the poll this week coming out later today. Next up, Mercyhurst series this weekend and then Harvard next Tuesday which I plan on attending. A win against a decent Harvard squad would be really impressive. Don't know exactly, but we haven't beaten them in a LONG time. Go Falcons!

Comment

Numbers vs. Hockey East:

All-time record vs. teams now in HE: 31-51-5*

All time record vs. HE teams when played: 10-19-3

Never lost vs.: BC
              Never beaten: MC, UVM
              Never played: PC
              .500 or better vs.: BC, BU, UMass, UNH, NU, Maine

*Includes games against UConn and MC before they joined HE

Comment

Numbers vs. Hockey East:

All-time record vs. teams now in HE: 31-51-5*

All time record vs. HE teams when played: 10-19-3

Never lost vs.: BC
                Never beaten: MC, UVM
                Never played: PC
                .500 or better vs.: BC, BU, UMass, UNH, NU, Maine

*Includes games against UConn and MC before they joined HE
                Great stats, schiegs!

I did not realize that we had lost a game in Orono.

Hoping that we see a lot of HEA teams making visits to our rink over the next few years. Was NU the only HEA team to visit the JAR?

Comment

Falcons dominated in the first, ending period with 3-1 lead. Unfortunately, they came unraveled in the second, taking way, way too many stupid penalties, giving the Lakers two 5-3 PPG's. Third period was more even, but despite Falcons huge SOG advantage, they could not put the puck in the net, losing 5-3, with Lakers ENG. Two very evenly matched teams, I think, made for a very entertaining game.

Official attendance listed at about 1000, which might be a bit inflated with no show STH's, but the new arena was at least loud and noisy on Friday night, and the Falcons band was superb. The arena and the team certainly deserve better attendance, especially by students.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Falcons dominated in the first, ending period with 3-1 lead. Unfortunately, they came unraveled in the second, taking way, way too many stupid penalties, giving the Lakers two 5-3 PPG's. Third period was more even, but despite Falcons huge SOG advantage, they could not put the puck in the net, losing 5-3, with Lakers ENG. Two very evenly matched teams, I think, made for a very entertaining game.

Official attendance listed at about 1000, which might be a bit inflated with no show STH's, but the new arena was at least loud and noisy on Friday night, and the Falcons band was superb. The arena and the team certainly deserve better attendance, especially by students.
                    I think Tuesday's game against Harvard will paint a much better attendance picture, as there appears to be about 200-300 tickets left. It's a bit difficult to rally the student body for games against Mercyhurst, Sacred Heart, and Canisius, and they aren't bringing busloads of visiting fans. Name brand opponents, and winning; that will get you more attendance.

Comment

I think Tuesday's game against Harvard will paint a much better attendance picture, as there appears to be about 200-300 tickets left. It's a bit difficult to rally the student body for games against Mercyhurst, Sacred Heart, and Canisius, and they aren't bringing busloads of visiting fans. Name brand opponents, and winning; that will get you more attendance.
                      Plus, we have multiple scores to settle with Hahvud. :-)

Comment

Really disappointing weekend against Mercyhurst. 4 critical AHC points up for grabs, come away with none. Both games were tied deep into the 3rd period as well, but simple defending mistakes cost us. Hurst's Derek Barach put up 5! goals on the weekend, a pretty outstanding performance.

I really don't believe we were outplayed in either game. It's just a constant battle with holding leads, or scoring a crucial goal when they need it most. In fact, the largest margin of defeat the Falcons have faced this season was against Air Force, where they lost 4-1 (including an empty netter). They have had a chance in basically EVERY game they've played this season, but can't seem to find ways to win. I really thought last weekend was a turning point, but the Falcons now sit 9th in the AHC with a few more games played than most other teams.

On the bright side, their ability to keep up with every team they've played is a good indicator for the playoffs, where a competitive team that gets hot at the right time can win it all.

Harvard should indeed be a good indicator of attendance for the new rink- I have also heard that a new group of students is going to be leading the student section, hopefully with some good chants and clever chirps. A win would mean a lot.

Comment

The Hurst entered this weekend with 4 regulars out of their lineup for Friday & 3 regulars out of their lineup for the Saturday, 7 freshmen lacing up the blades in each of the two contests. That said the Hurst has a young team this season and doesn't carry a super large bench as in previous years so consistency is likely to continue throughout the season.

I did find the amount of penalty calls in the Saturday game to be an issue for both clubs, very hard to get any tempo going when it seems it comes down to specialty teams. The officiating this season has been pretty solid in most cases, and without the officials we wouldn't have any game so we have to be appreciative of their hard work even if things do go south on some nights.

It has always been correct in Atlantic Hockey that the teams who peaks at the right time can go a long way. I don't put much stock into these early season results, come January however is the time to start showing consistency and is when it starts to matter.

Both gentlemen who call your games are outstanding, especially the younger one who i believe might be on the lacrosse team. If anyone knows them please let them know they are some of the best commentators in the game, hats off to them as they make the game fun to watch listening to the banter and knowledge they put into the broadcast. The video quality was excellent as well through Stretch Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                            Really disappointing weekend against Mercyhurst. 4 critical AHC points up for grabs, come away with none. Both games were tied deep into the 3rd period as well, but simple defending mistakes cost us. Hurst's Derek Barach put up 5! goals on the weekend, a pretty outstanding performance.

I really don't believe we were outplayed in either game. It's just a constant battle with holding leads, or scoring a crucial goal when they need it most. In fact, the largest margin of defeat the Falcons have faced this season was against Air Force, where they lost 4-1 (including an empty netter). They have had a chance in basically EVERY game they've played this season, but can't seem to find ways to win. I really thought last weekend was a turning point, but the Falcons now sit 9th in the AHC with a few more games played than most other teams.

On the bright side, their ability to keep up with every team they've played is a good indicator for the playoffs, where a competitive team that gets hot at the right time can win it all.

Harvard should indeed be a good indicator of attendance for the new rink- I have also heard that a new group of students is going to be leading the student section, hopefully with some good chants and clever chirps. A win would mean a lot.
                            Agreed that it would be nice to beat Hahvud. But, this team needs to start winning against AHC teams, assuming the Falcons do not want to be on the road again in the first postseason round. Best suggestion that I have is STAY OUT OF THE PENALTY BOX!

Comment

If it weren't for getting swept at home over the weekend, I would chalk this up to a moral victory. Other than the first 10 minutes, the boys skated well against a team with better talent and much bigger size.

Harvard did a good job of connecting on tape-to-tape passing, using their size to gain position, and got a great game from Lackey in net.

Bentley was flailing at times, trying to throw garbage on net and capture rebounds. Despite Harvard's forechecking preventing solid transition into the zone, Bentley played very scrappy and determined hockey. The effort was there, but superior talent and a hot goaltender kept Cinderella from making an appearance.

26 days to think about three straight losses at home.

Comment

If it weren't for getting swept at home over the weekend, I would chalk this up to a moral victory. Other than the first 10 minutes, the boys skated well against a team with better talent and much bigger size.

Harvard did a good job of connecting on tape-to-tape passing, using their size to gain position, and got a great game from Lackey in net.

Bentley was flailing at times, trying to throw garbage on net and capture rebounds. Despite Harvard's forechecking preventing solid transition into the zone, Bentley played very scrappy and determined hockey. The effort was there, but superior talent and a hot goaltender kept Cinderella from making an appearance.

26 days to think about three straight losses at home.
                                Yup, that pretty much sums up the 2-1 loss to Harvard tonight. But, a much closer score than our previous defeats at Bright. Falcons had several additional skirmishes around the Harvard net besides the one leading to our only goal, but Lackey held his ground well. Harvard's two goals were lasers that Pelino had little chance in stopping. Kudos to Harvard.

Great turn out at the Bentley Arena tonight, as there were very few empty seats during the second period, which was the traditional period in which Bentley students attended games at the JAR.

Bentley should have a good chance again on the 30th at UNH, which is reeling with injuries and a continued inability to score goals that even surpasses that of the Falcons.

Comment

Working...
                                X