Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    Will just be good to watch another game finally. Hoping Saturday I can have a few beers and be ready to sleep in the next day, with a deer already in the garage, while cheering for the Gophs to get a sweep.
    If you get an extra I know someone who might be willing to take it off your hands

(No, this isn't a Wisconsin joke. It is a Gopher fan who wouldn't mind a freezer full of venison.)
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      If MN State truly deserves their No. 4 ranking the Gophers are definitely the underdogs in this series. And there's no question that if the Gophs play anything like they did against UND you can expect the Mavs to sweep. The larger ice surface at Mariucci should give our talented skaters and playmakers (which were sorely MIA against the Fawks) more room to operate and make things happen. That advantage shifts to Mankato in the rematch at the Verizon Center, with their narrower (90') surface at home, in front of their boisterous crowd. Realistically I am hoping for a split, on the assumption that on Friday at home the Gophers will bring extra motivation to atone for their utter failure on Saturday.
      I'm not sure the rink will be a benefit one way or another. MSU isn't the same team that it was in the old WCHA. Hastings teams are pretty good skating and have a lot more scoring ability than they used to. I've heard a few people thinking they are a big team that likes to check and "play big", but I'm not sure that's accurate. We were not as good of skaters as Boston U, but not a clutch-and-grab team like the late 90s and 2000s.
      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
        I'm not sure the rink will be a benefit one way or another. MSU isn't the same team that it was in the old WCHA. Hastings teams are pretty good skating and have a lot more scoring ability than they used to. I've heard a few people thinking they are a big team that likes to check and "play big", but I'm not sure that's accurate. We were not as good of skaters as Boston U, but not a clutch-and-grab team like the late 90s and 2000s.
        You very well may be right as it pertains to MSU, but I do think the rink size still affects Minnesota, where bigger is better. Against UND last Saturday night on a 200 x 85 surface they were noticeably ineffective in tight spaces and along the boards. I guess we'll see tomorrow evening if they're able to make good use of the increased width at Mariucci.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

You very well may be right as it pertains to MSU, but I do think the rink size still affects Minnesota, where bigger is better. Against UND last Saturday night on a 200 x 85 surface they were noticeably ineffective in tight spaces and along the boards. I guess we'll see tomorrow evening if they're able to make good use of the increased width at Mariucci.

I can see that. My only thought was that the MSU team is a bit more versatile than the older teams were.
          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
            I can see that. My only thought was that the MSU team is a bit more versatile than the older teams were.
            I believe you totally. You don't get to be ranked No. 4 in the land if you are just "a big team that likes to check and 'play big'." For the Gophers, any bit of overconfidence better not be their mindset, because if it is they will surely be swept.

That said, I love when any Minnesota-based team does well, just not at the expense of our Gophers! So best of luck to you....after this series!
            Last edited by D2D; 11-01-2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
              If you get an extra I know someone who might be willing to take it off your hands

(No, this isn't a Wisconsin joke. It is a Gopher fan who wouldn't mind a freezer full of venison.)
              Check with me next year. Can only get one tag this year, but possibly more next. Hunt close to home and there are too many around. Not only issues with garden, but when I was away for about 6 days, they ate 90% of the Honeycrisp apples on my tree. Some need to die.

Will be good to get back into hockey though. Haven't been able to watch many Wild games either, but that should all improve now. And I'll start skating again in a couple weeks.

Comment

How did McGlaughlin look last weekend? I assume he played? Did he and Hain ever have any moments?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  Check with me next year. Can only get one tag this year, but possibly more next. Hunt close to home and there are too many around. Not only issues with garden, but when I was away for about 6 days, they ate 90% of the Honeycrisp apples on my tree. Some need to die.

Will be good to get back into hockey though. Haven't been able to watch many Wild games either, but that should all improve now. And I'll start skating again in a couple weeks.
                  Our UPS driver at work said he might get an extra this year and I'm first on the list if he does.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

For the Gophers, any bit of overconfidence better not be their mindset, because if it is they will surely be swept.
                    It would be tough to come in overconfident against just about any team after how flat the Gophers looked in Vegas, let alone a top 5 team in the country and an in state rival.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                      It would be tough to come in overconfident against just about any team after how flat the Gophers looked in Vegas, let alone a top 5 team in the country and an in state rival.
                      So true, and why I referred to "any bit" of overconfidence. This is NOT your 'Mankato State' of old, when a Gopher sweep was expected.

Comment

So true, and why I referred to "any bit" of overconfidence. This is NOT your 'Mankato State' of old, when a Gopher sweep was expected.
                        Agreed.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

It's a contest to see who can be less optimistic. My god.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Assuming you are referring to my comments.....how is it pessimistic to say that we hope they don't underestimate an opponent? No one is saying they are going to get steamrolled or that they have no chance of winning. Just pointing out a simple fact.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Well I said I was hoping to have my deer hanging before the saturday game. I would say that was pretty optimistic (Since odds are against it).

Comment

Not me. A sweep.
                                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Working...
                                X