Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echoing what others have said they need to figure out how to make a unique college experience and tread the line between a family and college atmosphere. Definitely sell alcohol, it can’t possibly hurt revenue and from what I remember alcohol incidents were actually down at the football stadium after implementing their policy. Figure out more fun Goldy related shenanigans to keep fans engaged (even go back to some of the old ideas like goldy’s slide and crowd surfing, if necessary). I get that ultimately they need to make their corporate sponsors happy but constantly barraging us with advertisements that we ignore while looking at our phones can’t possibly be the best strategy. Maybe even tie in an advertisement to some Goldy related shenanigans, IDK.

The other thing is somehow trying to sell the mystique of the program that used to exist. For someone who was born in 2000 that might as well be Greek mythology at this point having mostly lived through the ups and downs from 2008-2018. Maybe have more documenatary footage of old gopher teams and Herbie or something between periods or even on social media.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 12-24-2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

The mystique comes from getting superstars that end up representing the Gophers in the NHL. Thank God they got Casey but he should've stayed another year. Missed on BB and Miller. Guentzel what can you do I guess. In hindsight Poehling brothers package would've been worth it.

Get a bunch of those NHL guys and the play on the ice is sick, like between 12-13 and 14-15.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Steve, you can quote all sorts of KPIs the AD can pull out of its ***, but Koho and Bonin are 100% right. Additionally, no good business runs entirely on KPIs. You need forward looking goals and metrics. A company run on KPIs is a company that doesn’t grow and a company that’s on its way out.

That, and half the KPIs you had mentioned have little applicability to college athletics. Especially sports that are barely revenue sports.
        This was not intended to be a comprehensive list on a fan forum. There are other business domains that have similar KPIs, inc. long and short term goals, data analysis, etc. (i.e. marketing, human resources, operations, etc.). All KPIs are highly correlated with University Finance and the Athletic Dept.

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        I am not a business guy, but it seems like this approach might not be the best long-term solution. I assume part of the attraction (besides a write-off) for some corps is to share tickets with customers and as perks for employees. So in this case, there is some consideration for what team to support based on the experience of those who use the tickets versus cost. If you can't give the tickets away, what are you getting for your money? My perception is that corpie seats haven't always been largely empty, but it has been an increasing trend as the atmosphere at games has declined. The better the experience at the game, the more likely someone wants to use the seats and the more likely the corporations continue to support the team instead of switching to a different team/sport or write-off option. Corpie ticket sales have helped the bottom line considerably in recent years, but with the poor atmosphere it has helped create, will it eventually lead to less corpie sales? And with a lot of the season ticket holders already chased away, will things get worse in the future as Corpies leave and no one is there to buy more tickets? Of course, all they need is a couple NC's to raise interest for a little while.
        Under the new corporate tax law, the U could see a decline in corpie ticket sales in the near future as well. NEW LAW

Merry Christmas to all!

Comment

I've seen some fans clamoring for a NCSS return. Where's Wes? The 2019-20 revived Mariucci Classic picks up where the NCSS left off. And...I'm guessing there could be butts in the seats for this one.

After a two-year hiatus, the Mariucci Classic will return in 2019-20 with a new twist as for the first time in tournament history, all four participating teams come from the state of Minnesota.

The 27th edition of the Mariucci Classic will include Bemidji State, Minnesota, Minnesota State and St. Cloud State. The Mavericks and the Huskies will both be making their first appearances at the Mariucci Classic while the Beavers will be participating for the third time, having finished third in 2000-01 and winning the tournament in 2010-11.

Next year’s Mariucci Classic is scheduled for Dec. 28-29, 2019 at 3M Arena at Mariucci. Matchups and other tournament details will be announced at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
            I've seen some fans clamoring for a NCSS return. Where's Wes? The 2019-20 revived Mariucci Classic picks up where the NCSS left off. And...I'm guessing there could be butts in the seats for this one.
            I agree, this tourney should attract a lot of attention, both here and in the communities of Mankato, St. Cloud and Bemidji. For those fans there's nothing better than coming to the big city, having some fun, and watching their team take it to the Gophers on their home ice.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
              I agree, this tourney should attract a lot of attention, both here and in the communities of Mankato, St. Cloud and Bemidji. For those fans there's nothing better than coming to the big city, having some fun, and watching their team take it to the Gophers on their home ice.
              I do look forward to this, and appreciate the Gophers putting it together, whatever their motives. As a Kato fan, my one complaint is I’d rather have guaranteed games against SCSU and MN. We already play Bemidji 4 times a year, plus the possibility of meeting them in the conference playoffs. That’s more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                I do look forward to this, and appreciate the Gophers putting it together, whatever their motives. As a Kato fan, my one complaint is I’d rather have guaranteed games against SCSU and MN. We already play Bemidji 4 times a year, plus the possibility of meeting them in the conference playoffs. That’s more than enough.
                That's a very good point. To the best of my knowledge the first game match-ups are still TBD, so assuming this is in fact the case maybe you will start with either St. Cloud or Minny.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  There's been suggestions on another thread that the NSCC should be resurrected and played on campus sites to boost attendance. This will be a good litmus test to see if that's a reasonable option.

Comment

They (MN) have been quick to announce that it may not always be possible to have an All-MN Classic, due to scheduling things, which is understandable. They have said they will try, though.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

GAMEDAY! Last two teams coming into Mariucci with major losing streaks were St. Lawrence (6) and Michigan State (6). Both teams ended them against a Gopher team that couldn't put the puck in the net. The Ferris State Bulldogs are winless in their last 10 (one tie, 9 losses) and haven't won since Nov. 9. No déjà vu this weekend...please. Release the Ranta.

Go Gophers!

Comment

Golly, I can't wait to go 1.5 miles east of my office to the smaller section of the Big City!
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Golly, I can't wait to go 1.5 miles east of my office to the smaller section of the Big City!
                          https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...46099216568498

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                            GAMEDAY! Last two teams coming into Mariucci with major losing streaks were St. Lawrence (6) and Michigan State (6). Both teams ended them against a Gopher team that couldn't put the puck in the net. The Ferris State Bulldogs are winless in their last 10 (one tie, 9 losses) and haven't won since Nov. 9. No déjà vu this weekend...please. Release the Ranta.

Go Gophers!
                            Don't worry, Bulldogs will disappoint me and get swept..... hope you have nice holiday!!
                            Born-raised Ferris State fan!

Comment

1 down. Hopefully we sing tomorrow....
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

That setup to Reedy by Sammy moving on net was stellar...Gophers need more of that. Reedy hatty

Comment

Working...
                                X