Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

The projections for every team at Jim Dahl's collegehockeyranked.com is good stuff Steve O. I believe the cut line will be 14 but you never know so 13 or 12 might be a better number to shoot for.

Comment

Bummer. Never fun to lose to a horsecrap team.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        Im sitting here all day with a horrible cold, or something, watching Hockey Day in MN. This is what hockey is all about. I've watched before, but not all day.

A couple pints of thinner, lemon and honey and I'm really enjoying this. Well done again.
        You'll get a kick out of this, last night in Bemidji for the outdoor game, they had to heat the ice so it wouldn't become too brittle. Think about that.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          You'll get a kick out of this, last night in Bemidji for the outdoor game, they had to heat the ice so it wouldn't become too brittle. Think about that.
          I know for a fact that they didn't heat anything when I was playing neighborhood outdoor hockey in below zero temps growing up in Duluth. But we still had a blast...
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
            Answer is clear now IMO. Best line in the land.
            Our vaunted D would make a lot of lines look good, especially when they get a 5 on 3 and however many PP's as the main unit.

Also when you stack one line and have zero depth outside of it that's not ideal big picture wise.

Comment

Should the Gophers lose the second game of this series against the B1G's bottom team, I will officially declare (for myself) this season to be a lost cause, and will look forward for a miracle next season when Motzko has more influence over how the team fares.

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                Our vaunted D would make a lot of lines look good, especially when they get a 5 on 3 and however many PP's as the main unit.
                The D had nothing to do with awful penalties, an incorrectly waived off goal, as many as (3?) goals going in off deflections nor going 1 of 6 on the PP. And SOG were nearly even 42-38. Keep swinging slugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  The D had nothing to do with awful penalties, an incorrectly waived off goal, as many as (3?) goals going in off deflections nor going 1 of 6 on the PP. And SOG were nearly even 42-38. Keep swinging slugger.
                  Yeah the waived off goal and the Walker penalty were tough to swallow. Just got done watching game (playing in a tourney yesterday) and it sucked.
                  Last edited by Koho; 01-20-2019, 09:55 AM.

Comment

And I generally don't join in on the 'rip the current scapegoat defenseman' that usually occurs most years (is it just that there isn't only one target this year that it hasn't happened?).

So I do want to say though, that Sadek can show a lot of poise with the puck at times in his own end, holding onto the puck (occasionally too long) in a corner despite forecheckers pressuring to wait for a passing lane to open. And I think he is one of the best D I can remember for the U at not waiting for a defender to slide out of the way when taking a shot from the point. I don't know if there are stats specific to number of blocked shot attempts from the point, but it seems like for Sadek that number would be around 75% (with most of those being within 10 feet of him). How can you hold the puck in your own corner with a couple guys bearing down on you and make a move to get around one and then make a breakout pass, but when on the point, a defender is sliding across in front of you, you can't wait the half second for him to slide out of the way before you shoot?

Comment

Just looked at the PWR and this song came to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNt5FnMK2sM

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Right they had nothing to do with the team getting outshot at even strength like every other game this year (still not a single Dman above 50% in even strength shot differential) in fact they should never take any blame for anything! They should just keep throwing the puck away aimlessly and the forwards will eventually break the puck out and skate the entire length of the neutral zone themselves, it’s been working so well all year!

And yeah SOG were nearly even with double the number of PP opportunities. That further proves how bad the team was at evens lol (outshot 28-15 in fact, that’s amazing!).
                        Last edited by trixR4kids; 01-20-2019, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                          And I generally don't join in on the 'rip the current scapegoat defenseman' that usually occurs most years (is it just that there isn't only one target this year that it hasn't happened?).

So I do want to say though, that Sadek can show a lot of poise with the puck at times in his own end, holding onto the puck (occasionally too long) in a corner despite forecheckers pressuring to wait for a passing lane to open. And I think he is one of the best D I can remember for the U at not waiting for a defender to slide out of the way when taking a shot from the point. I don't know if there are stats specific to number of blocked shot attempts from the point, but it seems like for Sadek that number would be around 75% (with most of those being within 10 feet of him). How can you hold the puck in your own corner with a couple guys bearing down on you and make a move to get around one and then make a breakout pass, but when on the point, a defender is sliding across in front of you, you can't wait the half second for him to slide out of the way before you shoot?
                          At even strength Sadek had 3 shots get blocked and one was on net. And yeah, it’s kinda telling that most good teams have a Dman who’s in the top 5 or so in scoring on the team, when Reilly/Schmidt were around that was the case.

I could probably do an analysis of the Gopher D in terms of shots blocked vs on net and see how it compares to someone we know is good like Perunovich or Hughes or something if ppl are interested.
                          Last edited by trixR4kids; 01-20-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

1/6 PP, 3 deflections in, 1 ENG and there are 3 F on the ice during those supposed lack of SOG but your arrogant approach insists to put it all on the D. The D isn't helping but neither are the F.

Comment

Novak gets popped in the chin and they skate in and score to make it 4-2. Gophers just have no luck against this garbage squad.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                                Novak gets popped in the chin and they skate in and score to make it 4-2. Gophers just have no luck against this garbage squad.
                                JFC How many deflections and bounces can a team get in a weekend?

(Although MN let up a little after pulling within one.)

Comment

Working...
                                X