Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    I’m talking about last night’s game.

As for other games I track scoring chances and pre pass movement as well, in a 9-4 game vs the badgers we had the same number of chances for instance and most of that was at even strength. Shots on goal isn’t perfect but it correlates with scoring chances generally.
    The question still applies in either case.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
      The question still applies in either case.
      That was more of a guess based on the fact that we continuously get out shot every night and out chanced in a lot of those games
      Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-03-2019, 10:47 AM.

Comment

No it doesn’t because we’re talking about a few individual plays where we all saw what happened. You don’t need to do rigorous statistical analysis in that instance to describe who’s at fault on a single goal.
        You don't understand sampling error, but I'm not going to go into great detail on that here on USCHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          You don't understand sampling error, but I'm not going to go into great detail on that here on USCHO.
          Says the guy who’s using “close” stats with a sample of 20 shots to prove a silly narrative. But please go on.

Comment

Gopher SOG this season:

Having 10-19 Shots On Goal 0-1-2
            Having 20-29 Shots On Goal 9-3-2
            Having 30-39 Shots On Goal 2-6-0
            Having 40 or More Shots On Goal 1-2-0
            Allowing 10-19 Shots On Goal 1-0-0
            Allowing 20-29 Shots On Goal 2-3-1
            Allowing 30-39 Shots On Goal 4-8-2
            Allowing 40 or More Shots On Goal 4-1-1
            Outshooting Opponent 3-7-0
            Opponent Outshoots Minnesota 8-5-4
            Shots Are Even 0-1-0

Comment

Says the guy who’s using “close” stats with a sample of 20 shots to prove a silly narrative. But please go on.

If he was letting in that many goals on 20 or less shots consistently I’d tend to agree but that’s clearly not what’s happening.

Comment

Technically you can outshoot a team by 1 and have more shots, the overall distribution of shots for/against at even strength has us in the bottom 10 of the NCAA. That’s problematic, none of those teams are good either (Ferris, STL, UAA).

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                He’s not consistently facing 20 or leas shots a game...

Comment

lulz

Comment

Our team can sometimes make up for the even strength issues with special teams/Robson but unsurprisingly it’s not leading to consistent results.

Comment

so we are probably all in agreement that this season is a somewhat bootless exercise in terms of a playoff run -- curious to get the group's thoughts on how long it will be before the Gophers have a meaningful playoff run?

For example, should we be optimistic that we might see Sammy Walker on the final four stage before he leaves the program? Does he have enough supporting cast?

Will Motzko shift the style of recruits and go away from the Mr. Hockey types to the cardharts and lunch bucket crew? Or is youth hockey at the elite level now all pretty/skill/fast type players?

I have to believe coach Motz is going to be successful in building the type of team he wants once the debris of upperclassman players is cleared out ---

While we wait for the Gophers to return to the national team, I really hope SCSU and MSU can have a good long run in the tourney and that they don't have to face each other early in regional play or fizz out in the first round like they have so many times recently...

Comment

I think the big question mark will be goaltending, Granato hasn't been able to figure that out for 3 years now and Badger fans are are growing impatient. It's the one piece that can sink an above average team and can be difficult to predict to say the least.

Comment

2020-21

Comment

good point - the gophs have never really had good goaltending -- since when -- 2001/2002/2003?
                            even with Robb Stauber, we just don't seem to be a good goaltending school - I remember the great goal tenders Lucia had at CC - I always hoped he would be able to duplicate that with the gophers -- but we just don't seem to be able to recruit really good tendies...

Comment

Adam Wilcox was a good goalie. Not surprisingly his three years here were also the last three true Gopher teams as far as skill and style of play.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                That data is incomplete. They've gone 0/2 since the above tally. https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/

Regardless their offense still sucks but keep at it.
                                FYI I went back and checked and CollegeHockeyStats is correct while CHN is wrong.

CHN has two extra PP opportunities that didn't exist (11/30 against OSU and 12/8 against UM) and one PK opportunity that didn't exist (11/30 against OSU).

Comment

Working...
                                X