Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    Looks like we got Shaky Schierhorn, instead of Steady Scheirhorn tonight.
    He'll never win any style points, that's for sure. Takes himself out of the play too often by anticipating what he expects to happen, instead of reacting to the play as it actually develops...not a recipe for instilling confidence.

So far tonight he's been both good and lucky. Bucky's one goal was a great tip on which he had virtually no chance.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
      He'll never win any style points, that's for sure. Takes himself out of the play too often by anticipating what he expects to happen, instead of reacting to the play as it actually develops...not a recipe for instilling confidence.

So far tonight he's been both good and lucky. Bucky's one goal was a great tip on which he had virtually no chance.
      Couldnt have said it better myself.

This does not look like a battle between two playoff teams that’s for sure.

Comment

As annoying as Doug and Confused Thesaurus are to listen to, I can't say I enjoy listening to Cheeseheads. And tired of hearing that Mark Johnson was the best college player ever. Loved the guy in the olympics, but come on, Mayasich averaged 1.3 gpg and 2.7 ppg.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
          As annoying as Doug and Confused Thesaurus are to listen to, I can't say I enjoy listening to Cheeseheads. And tired of hearing that Mark Johnson was the best college player ever. Loved the guy in the olympics, but come on, Mayasich averaged 1.3 gpg and 2.7 ppg.
          Keep in mind Brian Posick is the radio voice and does TV when asked. He's our version of McLeod and whoever. Posick knows his ****. I don't think "we" care much for Doug and friends, but we DID enjoy Frank & Wooger.

Nice split, boys; see you in January.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

I can't remember the last time Schierhorn looked steady. Manages to get the job done, though.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

IMHO this Border Battle lived up to its moniker in a very close, hard fought series. Both teams played desperation hockey tonight demonstrated as well by an extraordinary amount of blocked shots. It's been a while since I've seen a total of 52 blks in a college hockey game. Over 50% of the shots for both teams were either blks or wide.

I thought both goalies played very well. Lebedeff got the breaks though with Sheehy and Gates hitting pipes. I thought Schierhorn performed well enough to give the Gophers a chance to win. He was screened on the winning goal by Ess and it went off the right pipe to boot. The BADgers overall improved over Friday and played hard for a full 60 for the split.

But once again the Gophers managed only one goal and that's not going to cut it with the parity as it is today in D1. Gophers are now 1-4 in their last five, scoring only one goal in each loss. The young Gopher D again turned the puck over (i.e. ENG turnover), and blindly played the walls far too much in an attempt to clear the zone. Too many penalties. Gophers better solve the scoring drought and the penalty parade as the most penalized team in the NCAA asap or they'll go nowhere this season.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                IMHO this Border Battle series lived up to its moniker in a very close, hard fought series. Both teams played desperation hockey tonight demonstrated as well by an extraordinary amount of blocked shots. It's been a while since I've seen a total of 52 blks in a college hockey game. Over 50% of the shots for both teams were either blks or wide.

I thought both goalies played very well. Lebedeff got the breaks though with Sheehy and Gates hitting pipes. I thought Schierhorn performed well enough to give the Gophers a chance to win. He was screened on the winning goal by Ess and it went off the right pipe to boot. The BADgers overall improved over Friday and played hard for a full 60 for the split.

But once again the Gophers managed only one goal and that's not going to cut it with the parity as it is today in D1. Gophers are now 1-4 in their last five, scoring only one goal in each loss. The young Gopher D again turned the puck over (i.e. ENG turnover), and blindly played the walls far too much in an attempt to clear the zone. Too many penalties. Gophers better solve the scoring drought and the penalty parade as the most penalized team in the NCAA asap or they'll go nowhere this season.
                And that 1 goal was a PP goal.

Obviously "cute" is the theme this season, and have to get rid of it. It was a hard fought game tonight, and in most any 2-1 (don't count ENG) game, that's some tough battling. Some say "how come we can't beat a crappy team like WI?!" Well, as much as I hate WI, have you seen MN play? We are not great, either. Just sayin'. So a split on the road, against a hardcore rival....I'll take it.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm really not very high on this team.
                  The one good thing is the special teams definitely look better than last year, and if you get great goaltending and strong special team play it can carry you a long way in play-off hockey.

I know its early, but like I said, just not high on this team. Way too many guys that I would simply describe as "serviceable" and having watched them for 1-3 years now, I don't see that drastically changing.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                    I'm really not very high on this team.
                    The one good thing is the special teams definitely look better than last year, and if you get great goaltending and strong special team play it can carry you a long way in play-off hockey.

I know its early, but like I said, just not high on this team. Way too many guys that I would simply describe as "serviceable" and having watched them for 1-3 years now, I don't see that drastically changing.
                    Good point on the "serviceables". Maybe...just maybe, things may get better as the season progresses. New coaching staff, new faces on the roster and some new systems injected in the mix arguably take time for real chemistry to fire on all cylinders. But as you probably know, as was the case of UMD last season, a team that peaks at the right time can win it all. Keep the faith brother.
                    Last edited by SteveO; 11-11-2018, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      And that 1 goal was a PP goal.

Obviously "cute" is the theme this season, and have to get rid of it. It was a hard fought game tonight, and in most any 2-1 (don't count ENG) game, that's some tough battling. Some say "how come we can't beat a crappy team like WI?!" Well, as much as I hate WI, have you seen MN play? We are not great, either. Just sayin'. So a split on the road, against a hardcore rival....I'll take it.
                      I know the old adage of 'split n the road...." is supposed to make one happy with the road split, but after winning a Friday game, I will always be disappointed with a split. (A split with a Saturday win feels a little better, as you end on a win, at least.) And it was one that felt like they should have won. Very close, but just seemed like their goalie had more big saves (and his pipes) than on our end.

Still not sure what to think of this team. Would be nice to see some more 7 goal games instead of 1.

Good to see Blake M out there. You will see that he appears to be one of those guys who can see a little further ahead in the game than others and make the occasional surprise move you didn't see was there. But last night, there were a couple times he did try to force a pass when he had a clearer shot to the net than who he tried to set up. Hopefully he will make those adjustments as the season goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        I know the old adage of 'split n the road...." is supposed to make one happy with the road split, but after winning a Friday game, I will always be disappointed with a split. (A split with a Saturday win feels a little better, as you end on a win, at least.) And it was one that felt like they should have won. Very close, but just seemed like their goalie had more big saves (and his pipes) than on our end.

Still not sure what to think of this team. Would be nice to see some more 7 goal games instead of 1.

Good to see Blake M out there. You will see that he appears to be one of those guys who can see a little further ahead in the game than others and make the occasional surprise move you didn't see was there. But last night, there were a couple times he did try to force a pass when he had a clearer shot to the net than who he tried to set up. Hopefully he will make those adjustments as the season goes on.
                        I was prepared for an up & down season before Lucia retired and given the team's defensemen there was no reason to expect anything different with Bob leading the team. First passes to get out of the one will be be a struggle all year so they won't be able to stretch the ice vertically and take the other team's D out of the forecheck. If we some blue line improvement as the season progresses but the overall ceiling for the team may get higher but to get there they will need to play with a lot more passion.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                        Twenty red lights in his honor
                        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                          ...the overall ceiling for the team may get higher but to get there they will need to play with a lot more passion.
                          We're starting to see glimpses, but the intensity level is not where it needs to be. This team has no superstars, with overall average talent, so in order to win consistently they'll need to dial up the passion meter, game in and game out, shift by shift.

Comment

IDK if the passion is lacking as much as the skill and decision making. I kinda doubt Nanne lacks passion, he just makes a lot of dumb decisions either with the puck or going for big hits. I doubt Ramsey or Romanko lack passion either but we all know how effective they are.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                              IDK if the passion is lacking as much as the skill and decision making. I kinda doubt Nanne lacks passion, he just makes a lot of dumb decisions either with the puck or going for big hits. I doubt Ramsey or Romanko lack passion either but we all know how effective they are.
                              I would have to say that those three are exceptions - they all skate and try hard. I just wish it were more contagious.

Comment

Am I way off base in saying Phillips hasn't been very good so far this year? Outside of the assists he piled up against tUMD, I can't think of a whole lot of good he's done this year.

I was willing to give him a pass on his half season desperation move by Lucia last year, but the way some folks talked him up coming in I expected more.
                                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X