Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Every sport college and above announces tickets sold bud

Comment

Mat Robson is a good goalie who is capable of making big saves. But there have been peaks and valleys to his game this season, which is what the stats seem to indicate. I can't recall any Gopher netminder in recent years that has allowed a streak of 4 GA in 5 consecutive games. Before the streak, he only allowed 1 goal for three consecutive games.

A key predictor in those outcomes has also been the inconsistent play and poor decision making of the D in front of him. However, there have been several times at key junctures in games where he's struggled with his lateral movement and rebound control.

The last 4 losses against MSU, WIS, and MICH:

SHORTHANDED vs MSU
      SV GA SV%
      7 3 0.700

CLOSE vs MSU
      SV GA SV%
      23 4 0.852

CLOSE vs WIS
      SV GA SV%
      19 4 0.826

CLOSE vs MICH
      SV GA SV%
      19 3 0.864

Close - Events that happen when the game is 'Close,' i.e. within 1 goal (up 1, down 1 or tied) in the 1st or 2nd period, or tied in the 3rd, at even strength.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
        I can't recall any Gopher netminder in recent years that has allowed a streak of 4 GA in 5 consecutive games.
        And I can't recall any Gopher team in recent years that was this bad defensively. I think Robson is the least of this team's problems.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          And I can't recall any Gopher team in recent years that was this bad defensively. I think Robson is the least of this team's problems.
          It would be difficult to quantify how much variance is explained due to poor play and decision making by the D in the current 4 GA streak. It's an important variable to consider as they've obviously played a role, but so has Robson at those very important junctures I highlighted in my post (Close) in the 4 previous losses and others this season as well.

Comment

This team continuously gives up way too many shots and might even be a bottom 5 in that category at even strength (haven’t checked recently but they were bottom ten and couldn’t have gotten better these last few series). All goalies have ups and downs including Robson but I wouldn’t say he’s the main reason for the goals against totals. If he was letting in that many goals on 20 or less shots consistently I’d tend to agree but that’s clearly not what’s happening.

Comment

First goal against by Robson was kinda weak but the other two weren’t his fault. He totally made up for it on the prolonged PP (5 min PP with 2 mins of 5v3). Also some of those rebound sequence saves where he improbably kept the puck out of the net were incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                First goal against by Robson was kinda weak but the other two weren’t his fault. He totally made up for it on the prolonged PP (5 min PP with 2 mins of 5v3). Also some of those rebound sequence saves where he improbably kept the puck out of the net were incredible.
                And Tyler Sheehy, wow, is he on a roll, so good to see.

Comment

Apparently tBob chewed the ever-living sh* out of the team today. Sheehy said, paraphrased, "Yeah, we needed that."

Good sign that things are different, and better sign that some are owning up to it.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    Apparently tBob chewed the ever-living sh* out of the team today. Sheehy said, paraphrased, "Yeah, we needed that."

Good sign that things are different, and better sign that some are owning up to it.
                    Sheehy was terrific, great energy and great skill. The question remains, can they put together a string of these high energy/high skill games? I still have my doubts, but tonight's effort gives me renewed hope that it's still possible.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Sheehy was terrific, great energy and great skill. The question remains, can they put together a string of these high energy/high skill games? I still have my doubts, but tonight's effort gives me renewed hope that it's still possible.
                      We're splitting vs mediocre B1G teams that have bad goalies at home, so yeah, your doubts are warranted.

Comment

Originally posted by directmagna View Post
                        I remember Lucia's first year - it was a bit rough - I don't think they had bottomed out as bad as this team, thought --

We know Motzko is a very good team - we know he will be able to rebuild the program -- it looks like this year's team has given up -

I hope Motzko sends a strong message that he does not care that the boys have not bought in and do not like him or his assistants. I think Motzko would be justified in benching players who have bad attitudes, playing the guys who have commitment, cutting players who don't want to be here - taking their scholarships away - recruiting to fill those open scholarship spots --

Basically doing a tear down and a rebuild of SCSU 2.0 --
                        There are some signs if hope, specifically with MN's special teams this year. MN is 3rd in overall special teams - 11th in penalty kill & 5th in power play - so I see some light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully the light isn't a train.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                        Twenty red lights in his honor
                        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

And remember how bad our PP was last year with basically the same squad PLUS CM?
                          Last edited by Bonin21; 02-03-2019, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                            This team continuously gives up way too many shots and might even be a bottom 5 in that category at even strength (haven’t checked recently but they were bottom ten and couldn’t have gotten better these last few series). All goalies have ups and downs including Robson but I wouldn’t say he’s the main reason for the goals against totals. If he was letting in that many goals on 20 or less shots consistently I’d tend to agree but that’s clearly not what’s happening.
                            And how did you determine that free of sampling error (in bold)?

There has never been a starting Gopher netminder in the last 20 years with the type of GA extremes as Mat Robson. Total SOG is not the most accurate way to evaluate a goalie's performance. Statistically speaking, not only are SOG more accurately placed when the game is close, but goalies are more likely to be severely tested. I've already documented his GA and SV% on approximately 20 SOGs when the game is close in a previous post and they are very pedestrian.

All three GA last night were on Robson. The 5 hole by Pastujov was not surprising and has been one of Robson's weaknesses with the paddle this season. The others were rebound and lateral movement errors.

Among goalies with 600 or more SOG, Robson currently ranks 17th with a 2.85 GAA.

18. Brian Wilson (8-10-3) - 2.86 Niagra
                            19. Eric Gordon (5-12-4) - 2.97 Holy Cross
                            20. Mark Sinclair (4-15-1) - 2.98 Alabama-Huntsville
                            Last edited by SteveO; 02-03-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                              And how did you determine that free of sampling error (in bold)?
                              I’m talking about last night’s game.

As for other games I track scoring chances and pre pass movement as well, in a 9-4 game vs the badgers we had the same number of chances for instance and most of that was at even strength. Shots on goal isn’t perfect but it correlates with scoring chances generally.

Statistically speaking, not only are SOG more accurately placed when the game is close, but goalies are more likely to be severely tested.
                              Do you have any proof of this? Because “close” stats are far less reliable than using a larger sample.

I've already documented his GA and SV% on approximately 20 SOGs when the game is close in a previous post and they are very pedestrian.
                              20 shots? Ok...

All three GA last night were on Robson.
                              Yeah gonna disagree heavily here, unless you blame goalies for every goal against and give no credit for the ridiculous rebound sequences he kept it of the net last night.
                              Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-03-2019, 10:41 AM.

Comment

No matter how people try to spin it all year, the defense is awful.

Robson seemed off last night. Maybe he's getting sick of the support, maybe he's talking to some pro teams, who knows. The guy can only do so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X