Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Thought the compete level was a bit better tonight although for only 2 of 3 periods. Novak needs to sit, they made too many unforced errors and they give up too many scoring opportunities to pass the puck only to lose possession.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Thought the compete level was a bit better tonight although for only 2 of 3 periods. Novak needs to sit, they made too many unforced errors and they give up too many scoring opportunities to pass the puck only to lose possession.
      He's in a total funk, and I couldn't agree more. Sad to see what was such a promising talent go down the tubes.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        He's in a total funk, and I couldn't agree more. Sad to see what was such a promising talent go down the tubes.
        Say Spehar was a 5 in college......what's the Novak rating?
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          Say Spehar was a 5 in college......what's the Novak rating?
          Spehar averaged 36 points until his senior year and while he may not have matched the hype that came from his 3 hattricks in the state tournament that isn't shabby even in an era when scoring was a bit higher.

Novak put up 27 and 26 Fr. and Jr. years and is on pace this year for around 15. Discounting the So. year to injury I'd compare Spehar at a realized 7 and Novak at a 4.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

This is funny. I was watching shots last night on TV and there were times it seemed to take 2 minutes before one would show up on the screen. Wasn't sure if the guy at controls was asleep at times.

But is there no language to account for situations where the goalie is down and out and a D in the crease is standing in goal to take the goalies place and blocks a shot? What about when it gets past the goalie but a D behind him stops it?

Comment

Thought the compete level was a bit better tonight although for only 2 of 3 periods.
              Frustrating in that it felt like one they could have won. But PSU seems to come at you hard on the forecheck with a couple players at a time, allowing very little time or space. MN oftentimes had one player forechecking and the next sitting back, looking like he wasn't sure what to do. The consistency of their intensity needs to improve if they want toa salvage anything out of the season.

At least they didn't lose to Canisius this week.

Comment

As I mentioned in a previous post, Penn St. sits at #1 in the nation in blocking shots. Motzko in his postgame interview said "Our good game was out there last night....but the biggest stat that dictated the game was their 21 blocked shots". That's above average for PSU (17). Jack Ramsey mentioned afterwards it was hard to get pucks through. But on the flip side, the Gophers didn't sell out and match it last night either, blocking only 8 (avg. 12).

A positive for Jack last night was he scored his first goal and point of the season on a twisted wrister. Watch him pull the proverbial "monkey" off his back after some fist pumps from the bench --> HIGHLIGHT.

Tommy Novak led the Gophers in assists last season (3-23-26), but it's been difficult sledding for Tommy so far this season (0-7-7). Reminds me of Leon Bristedt last season, a 20 goal scorer in 2015-16 who regressed to post his worst numbers in his final season (5-4-9). Some have mentioned Tommy's decline may be related to the injury that ended his season in 2016-17. I don't think so. Tommy's not a natural goal scorer, he's a playmaking forward with good puck skills. But as a senior he's on pace to finish with his worst season as a Gopher. Usually with that severe a drop in performance, there's most likely other issues he's dealing with.

IMHO it's desperation time for the Gophers in this stretch of B1G games. If they come out with a split tonight, they'll stay around 24th in the PWR. A sweep by Penn St. and then a split on the road with Notre Dame will land them about 26th. But a sweep by both teams and my calculations puts them at 36th and most likely out of the postseason.

Comment

I’d put Novak in over sadek if we’re trying to find a healthy scratch.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It'll be interesting to see what changes Motzko will make in tonight's lineup. Curious to see if Robson will start again in goal.

The team desperately needs a win. Getting swept at home should never happen, no matter who the opponent is. PSU's streak must end; that's all there is to it.

Comment

• I'd have no problem seeing both Novak and Sadek in suits tonight.
                      I honestly don't think we lose anything by dressing Denman over Sadek, and the little bit that Novak brings to the table (faceoffs, puck movement on the PP) doesn't outweigh his lack of foot speed, decision making and motor.

I've been saying since November we should be sitting some guys. Gates and Sheehy have stepped up recently even if they are still inconsistent. Nanne has at least reduced some of his boneheadedness. But at a certain point you have to determine it's time to cut your losses with those other two and start giving time to some younger guys who might develop.

Comment

The most consistent players right now are Sheehy, Pitlick and Gates. Going into tonight's game Sheehy is riding a 9 game point streak, Pitlick's 8 game point streak ended last night and Jr. is on a 4 game scoring streak. It's everybody else that's inconsistent in scoring.

Comment

Love the way Walker can motor, but he hasn't yet found his scoring touch. In other words his EFFORT is the most consistent on the team, but you certainly can't say that about his ability to finish. I am, however, optimistic that it will come, and in time will develop and become the team's best forward.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            It'll be interesting to see what changes Motzko will make in tonight's lineup. Curious to see if Robson will start again in goal.

The team desperately needs a win. Getting swept at home should never happen, no matter who the opponent is. PSU's streak must end; that's all there is to it.
                            From listening on the radio, Robson was the only reason the game was that close.....
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                              The most consistent players right now are Sheehy, Pitlick and Gates. Going into tonight's game Sheehy is riding a 9 game point streak, Pitlick's 8 game point streak ended last night and Jr. is on a 4 game scoring streak. It's everybody else that's inconsistent in scoring.
                              I see their inconsistency in a shift-by-shift way more than a game-by-game.
                              All of them can disappear for 2 periods while in the same game converting on the PP or making a push for half a period or a period

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                                I see their inconsistency in a shift-by-shift way more than a game-by-game.
                                All of them can disappear for 2 periods while in the same game converting on the PP or making a push for half a period or a period
                                Yeah, puck possession time for the Gophers this season is down. Koho had a good comment about the forecheck. I'd like to see the Gophers switch to a 2-1-2 Strong Side support which generates a lot more possession time than the 1-2-2. The WJ USA team puts on a clinic using that system with their speed game. The aggressive style the USA showed against Russia reminded me of old-time Gopher hockey.

EDIT:

Which makes it a lot tougher to decide, do I watch the USA vs FIN Gold metal game or the Gophers? I'm suppose I'll try to do both.
                                Last edited by SteveO; 01-05-2019, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X