Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: RPI Pick-to-Click 2018-19

Suspended

Re: RPI Pick-to-Click 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    If you don't, I hope it isn't because I picked another player on the other side who got a hat trick.
    We all have our moments. I had something similar when we played at SLU, so it's only fair.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

"Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    We all have our moments. I had something similar when we played at SLU, so it's only fair.
    Maybe we should get credit for the penalties which our choices commit instead of the points which they score. Extra credit would be awarded if we actually score a goal on the power play.

Conductor emeritus

I fully admit the position limits were to prevent people from using the OP strategy of choosing opposing goalies. RPI was (is?) not a very good team so you could almost guarantee a couple points each week by picking goalies. FlagDUDE08 was the only one who really employed the strategy, so the rule change mostly only affected him. I chose to limit the other positions as well to try and inspire more variety in the picks, since everyone taking the third or fourth top scoring forward every week is kind of boring to me. I really don't think the limits are too restrictive, as you only have to pick one non-forward per week to comply.

Nothing is going to change about the rules before next season, but I am open to suggestions. I think I'm done with forbidding the second scoring forward, since as ehf mentioned, forwards are already somewhat disincentivized. Maybe we can have a little summit with suggestions and then I'll post a survey and we can all vote on whether to enact the changes.

I know this game has shrunk significantly since its heyday and we only have six or so participants on a weekly basis, but I have no intention of letting it die. I want the game to be fun for all of us.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Let’s go RED!

Tomorrow:
    RPI- Todd Burgess
    New Haven- Justin Pearson

Saturday>
    RPI- Chase Zieky
    CT- Kevin O’Neil

Sunday:
    RPI- Brady Wiffen
    Harvard rejects- Ted Hart

PUCKMAN RULES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lugnut92 View Post
    I fully admit the position limits were to prevent people from using the OP strategy of choosing opposing goalies. RPI was (is?) not a very good team so you could almost guarantee a couple points each week by picking goalies. FlagDUDE08 was the only one who really employed the strategy, so the rule change mostly only affected him. I chose to limit the other positions as well to try and inspire more variety in the picks, since everyone taking the third or fourth top scoring forward every week is kind of boring to me. I really don't think the limits are too restrictive, as you only have to pick one non-forward per week to comply.

Nothing is going to change about the rules before next season, but I am open to suggestions. I think I'm done with forbidding the second scoring forward, since as ehf mentioned, forwards are already somewhat disincentivized. Maybe we can have a little summit with suggestions and then I'll post a survey and we can all vote on whether to enact the changes.

I know this game has shrunk significantly since its heyday and we only have six or so participants on a weekly basis, but I have no intention of letting it die. I want the game to be fun for all of us.
    Thank you for not letting it die.
    I really enjoy it.
    As for the rules, you can make them up as you go since you are the one in charge.
    As for the goalies, you can just restrict it to 3 to 5 a season.
    I personally would never choose an opposing goalie. But that is just me.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

One suggestion is to change the criteria for what is a quality start. I have not paid attention but I think that you use the save percentage of the entire ECAC (or the entire NCAA?). Maybe it should be the save percentage against us. We don't shoot that well.

Watch me be wrong. Perhaps it is that we don't shoot that much.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    One suggestion is to change the criteria for what is a quality start. I have not paid attention but I think that you use the save percentage of the entire ECAC (or the entire NCAA?). Maybe it should be the save percentage against us. We don't shoot that well.

Watch me be wrong. Perhaps it is that we don't shoot that much.
    I still remember when it was changed to a quality start vs. a win. Did things become IMBA as a result of that?

Here's a thought... let's take some of the years where I picked goalies all the time... what would have happened if there was a -1 for not achieving any points on a particular goalie pick?
    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 03-07-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

"Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Conductor emeritus

Friday
    RPI ENGINEERS: PATRICK POLINO
    For God: Kevin O'Neil

Saturday
    RPI ENGINEERS: CHASE ZIEKY
    For Country: Mitchell Smith

Sunday (if necessary)
    RPI ENGINEERS: OWEN SAVORY
    Four-Oh: Phil Kemp
    RPI Pep Band
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Quote Originally Posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
    Let’s go RED!

Tomorrow:
    RPI- Todd Burgess
    New Haven- Justin Pearson

Saturday>
    RPI- Chase Zieky
    CT- Kevin O’Neil

Sunday:
    RPI- Brady Wiffen
    Harvard rejects- Ted Hart
    With Wiffen’s injury, change my Sunday pick to Patrick Polino (hopefully I can use him). And with O’Neil not playing for Yale last night, if I can change my pick for tonight to Chandler Lindstrand it would be appreciated.

Conductor emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
    With Wiffen’s injury, change my Sunday pick to Patrick Polino (hopefully I can use him). And with O’Neil not playing for Yale last night, if I can change my pick for tonight to Chandler Lindstrand it would be appreciated.
    The Wiffen to Polino switch is allowed, the O'Neil to Lindstrand switch is not.
    RPI Pep Band
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Conductor emeritus

While it's important to congratulate RPI fan 4 life on winning the weekly bonus point, a much bigger congrats to FlagDUDE08 for retaking the top spot!

RPI scored a goal on Friday, but the goal and and one of the two assists came from ineligible players. Cool. Ture Linden (no one) with the primary assist was the only RPI player worth picking, as Savory fell two saves short of the QS. Yale, on the other hand, was a buffet of opportunity, led by stupidly-named Billy Sweezey (no one) with his two assists. RPI fan 4 life picked Justin Pearson and that worked for him I guess.
    No one from RPI was worth anything on Saturday. heavy sigh. Tyler Welsh and Anthony Walsh led eligible Yalies, but we didn't pick either of them.

Results! (and link):
    3 + 1 points
    RPI fan 4 life

2 points
    FlagDUDE08
    vizoroo

0 points
    lugnut92
    Ralph Baer
    engineerhockeyfan

Totals
    Code:
                      |       POINTS        |      PICKS      | SUCCESS RATE (%)|
                      |   F   D   G   !| TOT|   F   D   G| TOT|   F   D   G| TOT|
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
           FlagDUDE08 |  19  37  17   2|  75|  35  25  12|  72|  29  40  58|  38|
           Ralph Baer |  44  25   0   3|  72|  45  27   0|  72|  42  30  --|  38|
              vizoroo |  30  20  10   3|  63|  44  19   3|  66|  36  32 100|  38|
       RPI fan 4 life |  32  11  10   5|  58|  51  16   5|  72|  37  13 100|  36|
    engineerhockeyfan |  39   4   4   3|  50|  51  14   3|  72|  47  14  67|  41|
          MavHockey14 |  28  13   2   6|  49|  29  10   1|  40|  52  40 100|  50|
             lugnut92 |  30  15   0   2|  47|  51  21   0|  72|  35  39  --|  33|
              capswon |  14   7   0   0|  21|  27   7   0|  34|  38  29  75|  38|
               hawthr |   2   2   0   1|   5|   6   2   0|   8|  17  50  --|  25|
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
               TOTALS | 238 134  43  25| 440| 343 141  24| 508|  38  29  75|  38|

Success Rate is defined as the percentage of picks of a given type that earned at least 1 PtC point.
    All in all not the best Pick To Click season, as we scored 89 fewer points this season than last year, despite having more picks submitted. Our success rate dropped from 40% to 38%, with similar drops for most of us individually. In addition to congratulating FlagDUDE08, I want to point out that MavHockey14 killed it all season when they actually submitted picks. They led the group in weekly wins, points per pick, and success rate. Thanks to all of you for participating all season! I was serious about taking suggestions for rule changes from you all, so let me know what ideas you might have.
    RPI Pep Band
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Thread Information