Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '18-19'

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
    When BC plays the schedule they're given it's called cupcakes.
    Personally, I just like saying that because I know it kind of bugs Grant. BC can't help the HEA piece, with the addition of Merrimack and Holy Cross, who may or may not be decent teams, but they certainly aren't contenders. It doesn't leave BC with a lot of N.C. games to play around with. Once Harvard kind of veered of the cliff, that softened up that side of it even more. You're right; it isn't BC's fault that BU is now for some reason worse after Poulin left than it was before she arrived.

I'll be the first to admit that UM's OOC schedule has sucked in recent years (Cue EastFan-some-digit to say that both Merrimack and UVM beat the Gophers last year). It is marginally better this year by having SLU and UMD in a couple of showcase events and at least the top end of the CHA. However, they really should be making an effort to play either Clarkson or Colgate regularly, because those two look to be the clear top of ECAC, unless the Crimson have a sudden renaissance.

So yeah, BC does play cupcakes, but I'm sitting here in a glass house.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Personally, I just like saying that because I know it kind of bugs Grant.
      Lol you haven't been paying attention, I bellyache (too many baked goods will do that) about how much out schedule sucks more than anyone else haha
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
        When BC plays the schedule they're given it's called cupcakes.
        Cupcakes are a feature of women's hockey, not a bug. It's true that there aren't enough premier players to go around, so they tend to cluster at a few schools, but I would contend that the reason more schools don't break through to the top tier is to a large part due to the fact that there aren't enough premier coaches to go around. Anybody can win in the short term if they get a couple of elite players dropped into their laps (looking at you, North Dakota), but to stay in the top tier, you need to have a top-tier coach.

If you let me choose my coach, I would let you choose where to send him/her*. The top players would find that school.

The evidence supporting my theory is in a drawer somewhere, I think.

*Except Mankato
        Last edited by Leather helmet; 10-22-2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

This weeks top ten poll theme is word salad ending with yet.

1. WisconSIN - The thing is, everybody knows that they are good. But have they really played anybody yet?
          2. Clarkson - They have played down to some of their competition and haven't found the consistency they are looking for yet.
          3. Minnesota - The special teams haven't been anywhere near special yet.
          4. Ohio State - Wouldn't ya think that the choice to wear black uniforms with non-contrasting letters and numbers should have been an obvious no go with the brain-trust? And yet...
          5. UMD - They have had, arguably, the toughest schedule so far. But have we really seen them at their best yet?
          6. bc - They can only control what they do against the teams that they play as they are not the team at least one thought they would be yet.
          7. Cornell - There isn't a big enough sample of hockey to get a gauge of how good they can be yet.
          8. Northeastern - Have they really done anything to be considered an anybody yet?
          9. Colgate - The question is...Can this team be a legitimate Frozen Four team or have they been exposed as a one year wonder yet?
          10. St Lawrence - They have played somebody and it's hard to consider somebody else like Maine that hasn't played anybody yet.
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Personally, I just like saying that because I know it kind of bugs Grant. BC can't help the HEA piece, with the addition of Merrimack and Holy Cross, who may or may not be decent teams, but they certainly aren't contenders. It doesn't leave BC with a lot of N.C. games to play around with. Once Harvard kind of veered of the cliff, that softened up that side of it even more. You're right; it isn't BC's fault that BU is now for some reason worse after Poulin left than it was before she arrived.

I'll be the first to admit that UM's OOC schedule has sucked in recent years (Cue EastFan-some-digit to say that both Merrimack and UVM beat the Gophers last year). It is marginally better this year by having SLU and UMD in a couple of showcase events and at least the top end of the CHA. However, they really should be making an effort to play either Clarkson or Colgate regularly, because those two look to be the clear top of ECAC, unless the Crimson have a sudden renaissance.

So yeah, BC does play cupcakes, but I'm sitting here in a glass house.
            The HC game is going to be brutal. I went to the Brown @ HC game Saturday; and even as bad as Brown is, they looked good playing against HC. I know it is early in the D1 development for HC, so I hope they can build into a team that challenges the top teams in HEA eventually. I think if they market what they have - nice rink, fully funded scholarships, great academics (probably the best in HEA - sorry Grant!), beautiful campus, and Worcester to boot (don't make fun of Worcester until you get to know it a little - great city). If BC wasn't having difficulty scoring (based on what we are used to) I would expect a massacre. Even so BC takes this one 8-0.

* A little off pollster topic so I reposted in BC thread
            Last edited by arenalife; 10-22-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              I bellyache (too many baked goods will do that) about how much out schedule sucks more than anyone else haha
              I know, but just wait until later in the year when BC is 30-2 and you're talking smack about "Greatest evah" and we all just say, "cupcakes." I promise, it will bug you. Especially, because a part of you will fear that we are correct, even if we don't believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                If you let me choose my coach, I would let you choose where to send him/her.
                Send him/her to Bemidji. Scanlan looked like a pretty good coach when he had players. As they graduate, it looks like he forgot how to coach. Maybe he can't recruit? Would you like to try to recruit to Bemidji? How many girls in Minnesota grow up wanting to play at Bemidji, and how many do you think want to play in Minneapolis? Let's put the names of the coaches who have won Olympic gold in a hat and use a random draw to send them to Madison, BC, and Mankato. Do you think Johnson and Crowley keep winning at the same pace if they wind up in Mankato, and Harrington is still fighting for crumbs if he gets an upgrade in location and resources?

From what I've seen, there are a lot of quality coaches. Some get dealt far better hands than others.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Send him/her to Bemidji. Scanlan looked like a pretty good coach when he had players. As they graduate, it looks like he forgot how to coach. Maybe he can't recruit? Would you like to try to recruit to Bemidji? How many girls in Minnesota grow up wanting to play at Bemidji, and how many do you think want to play in Minneapolis? Let's put the names of the coaches who have won Olympic gold in a hat and use a random draw to send them to Madison, BC, and Mankato. Do you think Johnson and Crowley keep winning at the same pace if they wind up in Mankato, and Harrington is still fighting for crumbs if he gets an upgrade in location and resources?

From what I've seen, there are a lot of quality coaches. Some get dealt far better hands than others.
                  Your last paragraph is so true and it applies to all levels of play and to both genders.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post

As the saying goes, commit to the school, not the coach. You never know if the coach who recruited you will still be there when you enroll. Especially these days when 8th graders commit.

Comment

Originally posted by arenalife View Post
                      The HC game is going to be brutal. I went to the Brown @ HC game Saturday; and even as bad as Brown is, they looked good playing against HC. I know it is early in the D1 development for HC, so I hope they can build into a team that challenges the top teams in HEA eventually. I think if they market what they have - nice rink, fully funded scholarships, great academics (probably the best in HEA - sorry Grant!), beautiful campus, and Worcester to boot (don't make fun of Worcester until you get to know it a little - great city). If BC wasn't having difficulty scoring (based on what we are used to) I would expect a massacre. Even so BC takes this one 8-0.

* A little off pollster topic so I reposted in BC thread
                      for HC...don't forget to add a snowflake student base that tossed the Crusader name because it is too offensive...along with the new foreign student base that wants to toss Holy in Holy Cross.
                      As for the hockey program...they have a great coach in Lap. She will get that program going. First class person and coach.

Comment

I know, but just wait until later in the year when BC is 30-2 and you're talking smack about "Greatest evah" and we all just say, "cupcakes." I promise, it will bug you. Especially, because a part of you will fear that we are correct, even if we don't believe it.
                        HA, love it

Comment

New thread title - "Cupcake Wars"??
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Do you think Johnson and Crowley keep winning at the same pace if they wind up in Mankato, and Harrington is still fighting for crumbs if he gets an upgrade in location and resources?
                            I edited my post to exclude Mankato, because I agree with you about that.

However, consider these:
                            - Gophers need to hire Motzko because he was eating their lunch, without the Gophers' advantages in location, facilities, and tradition.
                            - Desrosiers is getting quality recruits and quality transfers to go to Potsdam, which is not on everybody's bucket list.
                            - When college basketball players stayed for 3-4 years, the top programs were Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas. Now, when a coach must recruit all 5 starters each year, those are still among the dominant programs.
                            - Muzzeral seems to be succeeding where previous coaches with a similar pedigree did not.

I still say that coaching matters, and recruiting is a big part of that.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              New thread title - "Cupcake Wars"??
                              Some of these posters just want to have their cake and eat it too. That said,

1) Wisc
                              2) Gophers
                              3) Clarkson
                              4) UMD
                              5) OSU
                              6) BC
                              7) Cornell
                              8) NE
                              9) Colg
                              10) Maine (Special teams look good so far...we'll see how they do against tougher comp)

U Conn on doorstep
                              Last edited by Genbeau; 10-23-2018, 05:26 AM.

Comment

- Desrosiers is getting quality recruits and quality transfers to go to Potsdam, which is not on everybody's bucket list.
                                Clarkson's early success came primarily from Canadian players, for whom Potsdam was one of the more accessible destinations.
                                -I still say that coaching matters...
                                No argument there.

Comment

Working...
                                X