Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-19 WCHA Season: 3 Bids And The Second Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    pretty sure 2-0 series wins don't count for tie-breakers...H2H requires 4 games
    Correct. Falls to league wins, correct?

Comment

• Re: 2018-19 WCHA Season: 3 Bids And The Second Round?

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      MSU would still win based on more league wins
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
        From my quick calculations, the teams can finish in the following spots:

MnSU 1 - 2
        LSSU 1 - 6
        BGSU, NMU and BSU 2 - 6
        MTU 2 - 7
        UAF 6 - 8
        UAH 7 - 10
        FSU 8 - 10
        UAA 9 - 10

I am probably missing something with everyone playing each other and tiebreakers, but there is still a lot left to decide in these last two weekends.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        So it looks like seven teams are in, we just don't know where yet.

One point gained by Mankato or one lost by Bowling Green and the Mavericks lock up the one seed. After that, it is just a mess.....

Anchorage could still catch Huntsville for 8th, so they are mathematically still in the playoff hunt.

Have we had a year in the nWCHA where everyone was still in the hunt with two weekend left?
        Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 02-18-2019, 02:26 PM.
        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

One point gained by Mankato or one lost by Bowling Green and the Mavericks lock up the one seed. After that, it is just a mess.....

Anchorage could still catch Huntsville for 8th, so they are mathematically still in the playoff hunt.

Have we had a year in the nWCHA where everyone was still in the hunt with two weekend left?
          With UAH/Ferris playing this weekend, that basically does it in for UAA. One of those two teams are guaranteed points this weekend.
          Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

One point earned by Mankato and they win outright

BGSU needs 12 points to tie Mankato with 59 points (if Mankato loses out) but loses the tiebreaker so they cannot finish first.

If Mankato and LSSU both end up with 59 points LSSU wins with better conference percentage.

Anchorage is out. If UAH gets only one more point that means FSU would take at least 5 and UAA cannot catch them for 8th place because FSU would have the tiebreaker if they both finish with 23.

Comment

My bad. Kato beats LSSU with a tiebreaker. I thought they only played twice.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                My bad. Kato beats LSSU with a tiebreaker. I thought they only played twice.

So Mankato locked up the first seed and Anchorage is out. The other 8 teams are sorting out 2-8 with one of them falling to 9 and not making it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Correct. Mankato would have tie breaker over BG for more wins. I think Mankato has clinched first.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                    Correct. Mankato would have tie breaker over BG for more wins. I think Mankato has clinched first.
                    Mankato has clinched the first seed in the playoffs. BGSU & LSSU can still tie them for the MacNaughton if they get all 12 points remaining and Mankato doesnt get any more.

Comment

Anyone else get tired of the propaganda regarding the WCHA's health? They always have to have some sort of dig in there about the budgets and locations of WCHA schools. There is so much more to talk about this season with the WCHA having 2 bubble teams in addition to Minnesota State. There are three teams in the top 19 with the season winding down, and with some breaks this could be a 3-bid league. Yes, the Alaska schools may be an issue but that seems like an off-season topic more than a topic for right now when there could be focus on what BGSU and LSSU can do to get in the tourney.

Also they always seem to ignore that 7 D-1 national championships have been won from the Upper Peninsula schools, Bowling Green has another one, and Minnesota State is a very good modern hockey school. It's not like these schools haven't been there and done that before.

https://www.uscho.com/2019/02/19/tmq...ls-threatened/

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                        Anyone else get tired of the propaganda regarding the WCHA's health?
                        https://www.uscho.com/2019/02/19/tmq...ls-threatened/
                        Look at some of their other opinions and then tell me how much you value their thoughts. Their insight this week has ASU joining Hockey East because:
                        1) "...a majority of the members can get to Tempe via a non-stop flight from Boston."
                        2) "Who wouldn’t want to go to Arizona in the middle of a northern winter?"

So I guess if ASU passes on Hockey East, it will be Denver that joins in their place because by their logic:
                        1) "...a majority of the members can get to Denver via a non-stop flight from Boston."
                        2) "Who wouldn’t want to go to Denver in the middle of a northern winter?"

Ryan
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Look at some of their other opinions and then tell me how much you value their thoughts. Their insight this week has ASU joining Hockey East because:
                          1) "...a majority of the members can get to Tempe via a non-stop flight from Boston."
                          2) "Who wouldn’t want to go to Arizona in the middle of a northern winter?"

So I guess if ASU passes on Hockey East, it will be Denver that joins in their place because by their logic:
                          1) "...a majority of the members can get to Denver via a non-stop flight from Boston."
                          2) "Who wouldn’t want to go to Denver in the middle of a northern winter?"

Ryan
                          They also credited UAF with being the last independent to make the NCAA field. I assume they know the difference in the 2 schools, but maybe not. And they're encouraging expanding the college hockey landscape, while at the same time complaining about faraway places in the WCHA. Where else do they think college hockey can expand? Are we going to stick another team in the Boston area? If expansion comes, it's going to be at the perimeter, in places like Las Vegas or the south, with the extra travel costs they seem to be complaining about.

I don't know what they see as the end game. They dismiss the possibility of a reformation of the CCHA, so are they saying we'll end up with 5 conferences with 12 teams each? The Big 10 certainly isn't taking on many -if any- more teams, and the NCHC certainly doesn't want to end up as a 14 or 16 team league. So then why would the WCHA go away? The whole article seems like a stretch, and a way to take a shot at the Alaska schools.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                            They also credited UAF with being the last independent to make the NCAA field. I assume they know the difference in the 2 schools, but maybe not. And they're encouraging expanding the college hockey landscape, while at the same time complaining about faraway places in the WCHA. Where else do they think college hockey can expand? Are we going to stick another team in the Boston area? If expansion comes, it's going to be at the perimeter, in places like Las Vegas or the south, with the extra travel costs they seem to be complaining about.

I don't know what they see as the end game. They dismiss the possibility of a reformation of the CCHA, so are they saying we'll end up with 5 conferences with 12 teams each? The Big 10 certainly isn't taking on many -if any- more teams, and the NCHC certainly doesn't want to end up as a 14 or 16 team league. So then why would the WCHA go away? The whole article seems like a stretch, and a way to take a shot at the Alaska schools.
                            What's going on in Alaska is unnerving though, but otherwise good points.
                            Possible new entrants to college hockey IMHO: 1. Illinois, maybe, obviously going to the big, but who else?. 2. One of the Pac 10 teams?, maybe someone in the NW, like BYU or Boise State? I question that. The cost of entry is not just the cost of a rink, you have to also consider addiing a womans sport somewhere and it's associated costs as part of the plan. I'm sure there will be some new teams, but where they play and the costs which might not be quite so obvious of travel etc, are something that need careful evaluation.
                            I think even ASU didn't do a good job of planning the cost of travel into the overall equation. Not just the direct cost, but the cost in terms of being gone so much and the large number of trips to the east which is expensive, and hard on the players, though they do have a lot of money to blow. I see them going to the NCHC but it will make people like Miami unhappy.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              What's going on in Alaska is unnerving though, but otherwise good points.
                              Possible new entrants to college hockey IMHO: 1. Illinois, maybe, obviously going to the big, but who else?. 2. One of the Pac 10 teams?, maybe someone in the NW, like BYU or Boise State? I question that. The cost of entry is not just the cost of a rink, you have to also consider addiing a womans sport somewhere and it's associated costs as part of the plan. I'm sure there will be some new teams, but where they play and the costs which might not be quite so obvious of travel etc, are something that need careful evaluation.
                              I think even ASU didn't do a good job of planning the cost of travel into the overall equation. Not just the direct cost, but the cost in terms of being gone so much and the large number of trips to the east which is expensive, and hard on the players, though they do have a lot of money to blow. I see them going to the NCHC but it will make people like Miami unhappy.
                              If you want to try to predict who will be adding D1 next, there are 2 options, in my opinion.

1) Large school, big money donors, edge to a private school, but a big public works too. Likely a Power 5 conference school, with some kind of tenuous hockey connection already (in a successful NHL town, well known hockey-enthusiast uber-rich alum, etc.) Schools that already have ice capabilities in a large basketball arena would have a lower "cost-of-entry" and require less big money donations. Examples: Illinois, Northwestern, USC. Goal would be to join the BIG or NCHC.

2) Smaller school in a hockey hotbed. Likely already has a D3 program*, and makes the jump (despite the lack of scholarship issue), because they want to play with the big boys. Cost of entry is much lower, because infrastructure is there, and likely destination is a league like Atlantic Hockey, or maybe the WCHA, not a Hockey East, BIG or NCHC. This is less likely, IMO, with the exception of I would expect some east coast D3 schools would be able to make the jump to Atlantic Hockey without too much additional effort. Sure, it would be a bigger investment, but infrastructure-wise, they would be ok.
                              *Caveat: A school that is D3, but going D1 in all sports would be a very good bet. Specifically, a UW system school could theoretically be in this situation.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                If you want to try to predict who will be adding D1 next, there are 2 options, in my opinion.

1) Large school, big money donors, edge to a private school, but a big public works too. Likely a Power 5 conference school, with some kind of tenuous hockey connection already (in a successful NHL town, well known hockey-enthusiast uber-rich alum, etc.) Schools that already have ice capabilities in a large basketball arena would have a lower "cost-of-entry" and require less big money donations. Examples: Illinois, Northwestern, USC. Goal would be to join the BIG or NCHC.

2) Smaller school in a hockey hotbed. Likely already has a D3 program*, and makes the jump (despite the lack of scholarship issue), because they want to play with the big boys. Cost of entry is much lower, because infrastructure is there, and likely destination is a league like Atlantic Hockey, or maybe the WCHA, not a Hockey East, BIG or NCHC. This is less likely, IMO, with the exception of I would expect some east coast D3 schools would be able to make the jump to Atlantic Hockey without too much additional effort. Sure, it would be a bigger investment, but infrastructure-wise, they would be ok.
                                *Caveat: A school that is D3, but going D1 in all sports would be a very good bet. Specifically, a UW system school could theoretically be in this situation.
                                Your UW system example seems more likely to be a D2 upgrade in all sports with hockey going D1...D2 is a void in the state of Wisconsin...
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X