Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-19 WCHA Season: 3 Bids And The Second Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-19 WCHA Season: 3 Bids And The Second Round?

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    because its a D2 conference in everything else...the play-up style doesn't get you a seat at the D1 table.
    First of all I wasn't thinking it would be NSIC or GLIAC, but rather a hockey-only conference. Made up with the two.

But what I'm understanding from your comment is that a D2 school cannot play D1 hockey unless they are in a conference that has a school that is D1 in every sport?

I guess that would answer the question of smaller schools adding a hockey program unless they could join a D1 conference on Day 1. I doubt the NCAA is looking to bring D2 hockey back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
      First of all I wasn't thinking it would be NSIC or GLIAC, but rather a hockey-only conference. Made up with the two.

But what I'm understanding from your comment is that a D2 school cannot play D1 hockey unless they are in a conference that has a school that is D1 in every sport?

I guess that would answer the question of smaller schools adding a hockey program unless they could join a D1 conference on Day 1. I doubt the NCAA is looking to bring D2 hockey back.

No, you're not understanding. All schools would still play D1 hockey, that is not the issue. They would just be playing D1 hockey in a D2 conference. This is because all of the schools listed are D2 schools, that play up to D1 for hockey. They're all still D2 schools as far as the NCAA is concerned. A conference consisting of only D2 schools cannot be a D1 conference, you need at least 1 D1 school. In the current WCHA, that 1 school is BGSU.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        No, you're not understanding. All schools would still play D1 hockey, that is not the issue. They would just be playing D1 hockey in a D2 conference. This is because all of the schools listed are D2 schools, that play up to D1 for hockey. They're all still D2 schools as far as the NCAA is concerned. A conference consisting of only D2 schools cannot be a D1 conference, you need at least 1 D1 school. In the current WCHA, that 1 school is BGSU.
        That doesn't make sense to me. But because we're talking about an NCAA rule, it must be right.

Comment

That doesn't make sense to me. But because we're talking about an NCAA rule, it must be right.

its not about NCAA rules or conference designations...its about having a seat at the D1 table for deciding NCAA legislation that effects D1 hockey...
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            its not about NCAA rules or conference designations...its about having a seat at the D1 table for deciding NCAA legislation that effects D1 hockey...
            I give up! I've got better things to worry about.

Like trying to figure out how Tech can 3-peat and crawl back to the tournament.

Comment

I give up! I've got better things to worry about.

Like trying to figure out how Tech can 3-peat and crawl back to the tournament.

you remember the legislation about changing overtime rules this last season? you remember the rule to try and take away D3 playups and not grandfather CC, Colgate, etc? those are all part of a D1 rules committee...The WCHA's only voice for those rules is because BGSU is part of the MAC so indirectly, they at least have a seat at the table through BGSU's connections to whoever is appointed by the MAC. If there is a league of only GLIAC/NSIC teams, they have no direct/indirect seat at the table for those decisions. They're all still allowed to playup and participate in D1 hockey and potentially have an autobid but they don't ultimately have much of a say in NCAA legislation that might effect D1 hockey.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

When it comes to hockey legislation, the NSIC/GLIAC would have a say somewhat in the process as it deals with hockey only. Those discussions typically take place at the Coaches' Convention in April and the recommendations are forwarded onto the D-I NCAA Council.

But in the grand scheme of D-I NCAA athletics, where legislation is voted on that would impact all D-I sports, the NSIC/GLIAC would not have a say or vote in the decision due to the fact that there is not an all sports D-I classified school. That is where Bowling Green, as a member of the MAC, currently gives the WCHA a voice, although minuscule one, due to the Power 5 having more voting power.
                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Goodness, the WCHA hasn't ended two teams' seasons yet and we're already in realignment-talk-silly-season.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    Goodness, the WCHA hasn't ended two teams' seasons yet and we're already in realignment-talk-silly-season.

GFM
                    Yep. One USCHO article and the sky is falling.

Comment

Yep. One USCHO article and the sky is falling.
                      And it was an article where they were dithering about whether or not to speculate. Either speculate or don't bring it up. Oh well, sometimes you have column inches to fill (been there, done that for USCHO).

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        And it was an article where they were dithering about whether or not to speculate. Either speculate or don't bring it up. Oh well, sometimes you have column inches to fill (been there, done that for USCHO).

GFM
                        The conversation has been very real leading up to and since the announcement. But if you ask about it on record, you will get very short, deflected answers. But in doing their due diligence, the WCHA must have contingencies in place. One must remember that, at this point, schedules are all but done. Some teams have even made some of their games known.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

To me the biggest issue facing the WCHA long term is MSU leaving. I'd go so far as to say that the league would benefit by subsidizing MSU travel as a means of keeping them in the league.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            To me the biggest issue facing the WCHA long term is MSU leaving. I'd go so far as to say that the league would benefit by subsidizing MSU travel as a means of keeping them in the league.

Torn on this one. I don't think travel costs for the team would go down all that much in the NCHC, as we'd still have to make trips to Michigan and Ohio (although not as many trips to Michigan as we made this year) and would just substitute Colorado trips for Alaska trips (Slightly cheaper, but not a huge deal). Where the school may see a financial difference would be the visiting crowd for SCSU, NoDak, UMD, and to a much lesser extent UNO. As it is, Tech is really the only conference visitor who brings in more than 30 or 40 fans to a game. Meanwhile, the last game we had with SCSU was our 2nd largest crowd ever for a home game. And I know this doesn't figure in the school's bottom line, but I think a lot more Kato fans would follow the team on the road, with half the conference as close or closer than our current closest conference rival.

And I think the sentiment for playing our traditional rivals from all other sports is a thing that can't be measured financially, but plays a big part in this.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              The conversation has been very real leading up to and since the announcement. But if you ask about it on record, you will get very short, deflected answers. But in doing their due diligence, the WCHA must have contingencies in place. One must remember that, at this point, schedules are all but done. Some teams have even made some of their games known.
                              To what conversation and announcement are you referring?

Comment

To what conversation and announcement are you referring?
                                One or both of the Alaska schools dropping hockey due to the announced state budget cuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X