Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-19 WCHA Season: 3 Bids And The Second Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-19 WCHA Season: 3 Bids And The Second Round?

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    One or both of the Alaska schools dropping hockey due to the announced state budget cuts.
    Did I miss an announcement that the programs are in fact being dropped? All I heard is that the state budget was cut way back and it will probably affect both programs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
      Did I miss an announcement that the programs are in fact being dropped? All I heard is that the state budget was cut way back and it will probably affect both programs.

The fact that there are huge budget cuts proposed is major cause for concern. No dollar amounts have been specified, nor have any specific programs been targeted. But, at this late stage, the league needs to have solutions ready should the problem affect the membership.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I have a feeling it will end up just like last time we went through this...

"Last year our budget was $10B. Well we just don't have the money anymore so we're going to have to make drastic cuts and reduce the budget to $2.3B. This means we're going to be shutting down most of the government and our public schools, along with police and fire services in most communities. Yes, I'm sorry to say we'll have to eliminate the two fine NCAA hockey programs in our state as well because they are the biggest drain on our state's budget..."
        [SEVERAL WEEKS / MONTHS OF GRAND STANDING AND NEGOTIATIONS]

"Ok so since no one wants to see anything get cut out of the budget because everything is mandatory and essential, we have no choice but to INCREASE the budget to $10.1B for next year and just keep doing what we were doing. Everyone can resume their normal lives now. We just like to create a little drama ever once in a while so you can understand how important we politicians are and what a difference we make in your lives..."

Ryan

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          I have a feeling it will end up just like last time we went through this...

"Last year our budget was $10B. Well we just don't have the money anymore so we're going to have to make drastic cuts and reduce the budget to $2.3B. This means we're going to be shutting down most of the government and our public schools, along with police and fire services in most communities. Yes, I'm sorry to say we'll have to eliminate the two fine NCAA hockey programs in our state as well because they are the biggest drain on our state's budget..."
          [SEVERAL WEEKS / MONTHS OF GRAND STANDING AND NEGOTIATIONS]

"Ok so since no one wants to see anything get cut out of the budget because everything is mandatory and essential, we have no choice but to INCREASE the budget to $10.1B for next year and just keep doing what we were doing. Everyone can resume their normal lives now. We just like to create a little drama ever once in a while so you can understand how important we politicians are and what a difference we make in your lives..."

Ryan

#Johnson2020

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            The fact that there are huge budget cuts proposed is major cause for concern. No dollar amounts have been specified, nor have any specific programs been targeted. But, at this late stage, the league needs to have solutions ready should the problem affect the membership.
            That turd is dead on arrival in Juneau. All this pearl clutching about the athletics programs is way too premature, and discounts, or outright ignores, Alaska’s entire legislative process. A more likely scenario is the legislature builds something resembling a reasonable statewide budget that isn’t a tea party wet dream, Dunleavy refuses to sign it, and pulls a Trump by shutting down the state government at the end of the fiscal year (6/30).

If it’s the end of Alaska athletics then it’s the end, and some college hockey fans will celebrate two less flights, at least until some more of the west coast schools add D-1 hockey and, thus, more dreaded flights.

But I highly doubt it’s the end, considering both the uproar in Alaska over this nonsense as well as the House organizing under a coalition with democrats in key leadership positions. We’ll see.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
              That turd is dead on arrival in Juneau. All this pearl clutching about the athletics programs is way too premature, and discounts, or outright ignores, Alaska’s entire legislative process. A more likely scenario is the legislature builds something resembling a reasonable statewide budget that isn’t a tea party wet dream, Dunleavy refuses to sign it, and pulls a Trump by shutting down the state government at the end of the fiscal year (6/30).

If it’s the end of Alaska athletics then it’s the end, and some college hockey fans will celebrate two less flights, at least until some more of the west coast schools add D-1 hockey and, thus, more dreaded flights.

But I highly doubt it’s the end, considering both the uproar in Alaska over this nonsense as well as the House organizing under a coalition with democrats in key leadership positions. We’ll see.
              Nice to get a local take instead of us down here trying to speculate what could happen. Thanks.

Comment

Yeah, but it’s much more fun to talk about the WCHA poaching Robert Morris and Mercyhurst in a panic after the two Alaska schools are dismantled brick-by-brick.

It’s the very sort of panicky hyperbole that this forum is built on.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                  Torn on this one. I don't think travel costs for the team would go down all that much in the NCHC, as we'd still have to make trips to Michigan and Ohio (although not as many trips to Michigan as we made this year) and would just substitute Colorado trips for Alaska trips (Slightly cheaper, but not a huge deal). Where the school may see a financial difference would be the visiting crowd for SCSU, NoDak, UMD, and to a much lesser extent UNO. As it is, Tech is really the only conference visitor who brings in more than 30 or 40 fans to a game. Meanwhile, the last game we had with SCSU was our 2nd largest crowd ever for a home game. And I know this doesn't figure in the school's bottom line, but I think a lot more Kato fans would follow the team on the road, with half the conference as close or closer than our current closest conference rival.

And I think the sentiment for playing our traditional rivals from all other sports is a thing that can't be measured financially, but plays a big part in this.
                  Just some things to think about here, not in any order. I'm not taking a side here at all.

First, you played SCSU this year in non conference games, and UMD last year, so those non con games would now be further away vs some of the same teams you play in conference now, would they not? or... vs some other teams that are even further away, Like maybe the East Coast or something. Not to mention that you might also assume you are going to make a trip to Phoenix every year too.

Next, if you are looking at total home attendance, does the average fan care if you have two home games vs SC which are in conference or two home games vs SC as non con games?

Third, yes your fans would get to travel to your team's away games slightly more often if the games vs UMD/SC were in conference but you'd give up the Bemidji series. I assume Bemidji and Duluth are about the same distance away.

As an example, you had 16 home dates this year and that included two you got from the Alaska exemption. So if you switch you get 14 home dates or you are still going to be going up there. Since the NCHC is now going to be a 10 team league, you don't get home and home vs everyone which is also something you might have issues with at some point. Now if there are 24 league games you get 12 home out of that and 2 non conference home weekends vs somebody. In other words two less home dates and an undoubted total reduction in attendance. Unless, as I said, you make an exempt trip.

I get that it will save some money and be a boon for fans to some extent, but i'm not convinced it will save all that much in total.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    The conversation has been very real leading up to and since the announcement. But if you ask about it on record, you will get very short, deflected answers. But in doing their due diligence, the WCHA must have contingencies in place. One must remember that, at this point, schedules are all but done. Some teams have even made some of their games known.
                    Sure. Those kinds of discussions always happen, informally and formally. UAH-to-the-CCHA was discussed in like 2006 (and probably summarily laughed at, but that's okay) and after that until it became the big, fat NO.

I don't envy the folks that are doing contingent planning. I have to do it daily, but I have a far different set of stakeholders — but lucky for me, I only have one rink to worry about.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Is there a list of current WCHA tiebreaker procedures anywhere?
                      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                        Is there a list of current WCHA tiebreaker procedures anywhere?
                        Scroll down to the middle of this link: http://www.wcha.com/men/standings/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                          Scroll down to the middle of this link: http://www.wcha.com/men/standings/index.php
                          You beat me to posting the link!

Head-to-head (if 4 games)
                          Winning percentage (2 or 4 games) amongst the tied teams
                          Most regulation wins
                          Fewest regulation losses
                          Points percentage in common games (note: league considers anything past 65 minutes a tie for B)
                          Points percentages going down the table (i.e., how well you did against Mankato)
                          Goal margin
                          Coin flip

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                            Thanks. Figuring out who owns the BGSU/LSSU tiebreaker (they played only 2 games) at the moment. Lakers own it at the moment with a slighter better conference winning percentage. Lakers have .667, BGSU has .646.
                            LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                              Thanks. Figuring out who owns the BGSU/LSSU tiebreaker (they played only 2 games) at the moment. Lakers own it at the moment with a slighter better conference winning percentage. Lakers have .667, BGSU has .646.
                              BGSU: 14-2-1-7/47
                              LSSU: 15-0-2-7/47

A: skip (2 games)
                              B: tied (1-1-0)
                              C: currently LSSU, 15-14.

Note that there are a lot of ways to end up with the same number of points but for the number of standard wins to become equal. It's hard for them to occur in just four games, though.

D: currently tied
                              E: tied
                              F: BGSU wins, 2-0-0 (LSSU 1-3-0)

Hope this helps.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Ferris, I have my eye on you, and the ISS will fly over in a few hours. WATCH OUT.

https://***********/weloveuahhockey/...04248166526976

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X