Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL 2018-19 Part 1 - No power outage in Toronto this year!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NHL 2018-19 Part 1 - No power outage in Toronto this year!!

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Some speculation on Twitter that because they haven’t announced an opponent it could mean someone is relocating to Houston. I can’t tell if it’s serious or not.
    There has been some chatter that Houston is gunning for a team. The Rockets owner has inquired about what it would take to relocate a team there, he has also inquired about the cost of the Coyotes. The 'Yotes (if they remain) will also be relocated to the Central division when Seattle joins the league for the 21-22 season.

I'd love to see the Aeros back playing hockey and in the NHL. But then they need to rename the Winnipeg Jets the Manitoba Moose (like they should have been you ingrates who wanted the Jets back). IHL forever!
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
      Has anyone been to a Winter Classic game in person? I watch it every year and it always looks amazing... on my TV screen from my warm living room and couch. I can't imagine it being all that great a live experience. The stands are so far away from the ice I can't imagine you can really see much, and that's to say nothing of the weather...
      I was there yesterday...

For me, it was a cool thing to check off the bucket list. The crowd was massive and I get why this has "event" appeal. That being said, I would probably have been massively disappointed if I actually paid full TicketBastard prices for this.... My seats were the 3rd row from the top of Section 121 (south end zone, under the videoboard) I could follow the play, but it was hard to see any detail. The far side of the ice was impossible to see.

Notre Dame gets an "F" for hosting this event however.... I get that this event is a one-off thing, but concession stands were out of anything that wasn't water or beer by the 1st intermission. They were massively understaffed as well. The beer stand below my section had just two people working. They were running a register AND getting drinks. It was ok for beers (crack the can, hand it off), but when someone ordered a mixed drink, they would struggle massively to pour the shot, pour the mixer, and add the ice. Clearly they just wanted their day to be over. I left my seat a whistle around 3:00 to go in the 1st and got back right at puck drop of the 2nd for my $12 beer. There was no way a single person was getting food AND a beer without missing 1/2 the game...

Also, parking was a joke.... We bought a parking pass for "Innovation Park", but at no point did anyone scan or even ask to see said pass. Also, we arrived in the lot at about 11am and literally got one of the last spots there (pass did say that parking was NOT guaranteed with less than 90 minutes till gametime). Many tailgaters had tailgate stuff on the sides of vehicles (clearly stated NOT being permitted) and vehicles were parked in a manner that forced many people to have to do a 180* turn to exit. As a whole, ND's traffic management sucked. It took 90+ minutes to get back onto the expressway (about 15 miles). Gridlock was a massive problem. Traffic cops were also quite passive in directing people. Several times people would hesitate, change lanes, or do something that disrupted flow and nothing was done to correct the matter. Several times, cars making right hand turns would wait for "large" openings to make their turn and traffic directors did nothing.
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        I was there yesterday...

Notre Dame gets an "F" for hosting this event however.... I get that this event is a one-off thing, but concession stands were out of anything that wasn't water or beer by the 1st intermission. They were massively understaffed as well. The beer stand below my section had just two people working. They were running a register AND getting drinks. It was ok for beers (crack the can, hand it off), but when someone ordered a mixed drink, they would struggle massively to pour the shot, pour the mixer, and add the ice. Clearly they just wanted their day to be over. I left my seat a whistle around 3:00 to go in the 1st and got back right at puck drop of the 2nd for my $12 beer. There was no way a single person was getting food AND a beer without missing 1/2 the game...

Also, parking was a joke.... We bought a parking pass for "Innovation Park", but at no point did anyone scan or even ask to see said pass. Also, we arrived in the lot at about 11am and literally got one of the last spots there (pass did say that parking was NOT guaranteed with less than 90 minutes till gametime). Many tailgaters had tailgate stuff on the sides of vehicles (clearly stated NOT being permitted) and vehicles were parked in a manner that forced many people to have to do a 180* turn to exit. As a whole, ND's traffic management sucked. It took 90+ minutes to get back onto the expressway (about 15 miles). Gridlock was a massive problem. Traffic cops were also quite passive in directing people. Several times people would hesitate, change lanes, or do something that disrupted flow and nothing was done to correct the matter. Several times, cars making right hand turns would wait for "large" openings to make their turn and traffic directors did nothing.
        As a host, Notre Dame provided the location, and that was pretty much it. All of the logistics are controlled by the NHL. All of it. While Notre Dame does use the some of the same concession vendors that the NHL uses, the contracts were with the NHL and not Notre Dame. Like any major college they are used to hosting a 3 hour long sporting event that 80,000 people show up to. I have no idea why the NHL had problems there that are not common to the football games. Concessions, parking (at least parking on campus property), all of that was controlled by people other than Notre Dame. I've been to plenty of football games there and never saw 45 minute waits for water and concession booths running out of food. I do agree though that under any circumstances it takes to long to get away from there when you leave.

Comment

Went to the Pizzarena and watched the Wings give away a winnable game tonight. That Gaudreau guy is pretty good at hockey though.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            I was there yesterday...

This is why we'll likely never see a game at Beaver Stadium. Most who haven't been there don't realize that on a fall Saturday the majority of the parking/tailgating is on hilly grass fields surrounding the stadium. Ain't happening in the middle of a normal Happy Valley winter.
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Mitch Marner with a goal 7 seconds into this afternoon's tilt with the Wild, adds a second 5 1/2 minutes later.

How is he not on the All Star roster?
              Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                Mitch Marner with a goal 7 seconds into this afternoon's tilt with the Wild, adds a second 5 1/2 minutes later.

One wonders. But every point is another ka-ching in his pocket come the summer. He and Tavares have been playing yo-yo with the puck all season.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveP View Post

Because the format doesn't allow for it, honestly. With every team needing to be represented, there will always be snubs until it changes.

Examples: Jimmy Howard is DET's representative, despite Larkin probably being most deserving. The Atlantic division's forward class is pretty incredible when you think about it, just too many deserving players for only however many spots (6 IIRC). I would guess Marner wins the "Last Man" vote, given the Leafs fanbase size, but you're still leaving very, very good players out that are also in the voting:

@_marlanderthews: The Atlantic division All Star snub team is better that most all star teams 😂

Marner
                  Point
                  Skinner
                  Marchand
                  Larkin
                  Domi
                  Rielly
                  Weber
                  Vasilevsky
                  Andersen
                  Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 01-04-2019, 07:35 AM.

Comment

The Capitals beat Boston last night for the 14th straight time in a stretch that dates back to 2014.
                    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Conor Garland just scored by taking a high wrist shot off his face. Blood on the ice, he goes to the locker room for some stitches I assume.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• The Wings won a game last night!
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Hey Kep, the Isles scored 3 in the first 5 minutes against the Lightning tonight!
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Wild trade a draft pick for BSU's Brad Hunt (was with Vegas).

I'd like to congratulate the Minnesota Wild for winning the 2019 Western Conference Championship now, but I'd like to also say I'm sorry for how they're going to lose the Stanley Cup final.

#CurseOfBradHunt

#Nashville
                            #Vegas
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Apparently, last week, Matt Dumba threw a punch and ruptured his right pectoral muscle.

Wasn't he having a decent season up until then?

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                Apparently, last week, Matt Dumba threw a punch and ruptured his right pectoral muscle.

Wasn't he having a decent season up until then?
                                It was a few weeks ago. He's already had surgery. Yes, he was having a great year. Minnesota Sports fans can't have nice things.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X