UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Jones has more offense to his game than Smith, who was always more of an "effort" kid. While Jones's goal total was low, his assists show he creates offense, and his goal totals improve in his second year. That said, he was an interesting prospect but not irrepelaceable. In fact, I'd say Nick Ring has a similar profile, and the now infamous (from our posts) John Evans is a similar "good hands, vistion, somewhat peripheral game" profile.

Richels is interesting as well, with a different game. He has the size I usually don't like, but is a shooter not a grinder. His skating will determine how well he does - right now its a bit weak, but given the slow pace of HS hockey he has the space and time to use his shot. As you say, his USHL season will tell us more.
    Consider me skeptical of anyone who puts up offense - but especially heavy in the assist category - in their 17/18 or older seasons in the NCDC. If it’s not Smith, it’s Cipollone and even BVR to some extent. With so many kids opting for Prep or leaving the East Coast entirely it’s just a ‘take my numbers with a massive grain of salt’ kind of league. It’s why I’m also wait-and-see on Curran, though Im happy to see you seem higher on him...

I like seeing a kid like Richels - who should fill it up actually filling it up and scoring a lot of goals. That is why I’m more drawn to a kid like Margel (than some of the other recruits). He should have been dominant at Selects and he was, with a 50-goal season - where others have just been solid to good enough...

Both Richels and Margel were a bit older for their levels - so we’ll see how they do when they jump feet-first into their age group (and older) in the USHL. Either way, it is going to be an incredibly telling year for UNH recruiting...

The other concern with Richels is his riding shot-gun next to an elite teammate in Brodsinski. The two were probably impossible to contain at the HS level and he may not enjoy that level of linemate or mismatch again anytime soon. Still, he posted equivalent and balanced numbers and seemed to do his share of the heavy lifting on that line...

Big USHL years from Stutzle, Margel, Richels and Curran would go along way towards convincing me about the job Souza is doing in recruiting and UNH’s future...
    Last edited by Dan; 06-14-2019, 07:57 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Consider me skeptical of anyone who puts up offense - but especially heavy in the assist category - in their 17/18 or older seasons in the NCDC. If it’s not Smith, it’s Cipollone and even BVR to some extent. With so many kids opting for Prep or leaving the East Coast entirely it’s just a ‘take my numbers with a massive grain of salt’ kind of league. It’s why I’m also wait-and-see on Curran, though Im happy to see you seem higher on him...

Big USHL years from Stutzle, Margel, Richels and Curran would go along way towards convincing me about the job Souza is doing in recruiting and UNH’s future...
      There's a difference between the stats playing as a HS kid vs. post grad. You also have to look at the team, because putting points on a weaker team is hard. The assists show he created offense, just was not the finisher. He did that at the U16 level, scoring under 10 goals the first year, then the second year scoring goals. Anyway, in the limited views he looks a bit slippery in pivoting out of corners, good edges, which is good, and I'll be interested to see how he does in the Q. Same sort of player as Evans, good in transition, able to see the ice, but not yet getting to the dirty areas for goals, but that would/might come. Weird that he announced he was playing junior A and then a week later signs with the Q. (Not to be a recruiting proponent of Evans, but here's the sort of video showing his hands.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1e-u-VT71Y
      As for Curran, the few clips I've seen on him did not have anything jump out, things like his skating or being dynamic in transition, or shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n67jYweun78

So I wouldn't say I'm higher on him. Same with Margel. The clips show him getting goals by being in a decent spot against weak competition, and you don't see to many non-scoring plays where you can see whether he is slippery, or fast in transition. Not that I'm not high on them, its just they didn't have any noticeable skills other than being slightly ahead of others in getting pucks and finishing. But the USHL seems to like them, so presumably they have shown those other skills which the clips don't show (but the stats do).
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

Richels is a beast

Comment

There's a difference between the stats playing as a HS kid vs. post grad. You also have to look at the team, because putting points on a weaker team is hard. The assists show he created offense, just was not the finisher.
          Perhaps I’m discounting the league a bit more than I should - but with the dilution of Eastern talent due to top players choosing prep, the USHL/BCHL or major junior it has always seemed like a league that top HS senior talent can legitimately handle and should. Either way it’s water under the bridge now, regarding Jones...

He’ll be in his age group in Halifax and his offense will have a better chance to translate immediately there than it would against older players in college...

Griffin will be another test case - he played on a high-scoring Junior Bruins team and managed just eight goals in 50 games while racking up assists at the same age as Jones. It was enough to give Northeastern pause, so what will UNH get in the short- and long-term...?

John Evans is a pass first guy who always puts up gaudy assist totals - but he also has a better track record of scoring (and for me more ability to score) goals. He potted 20+ in each of his last two seasons at Delta Hockey Academy and advanced to the BCHL for a cup of coffee at 16 years old. I would be ecstatic to see UNH target Evans...

Along with his Delta Academy running mate Brandon Santa Juana - who just turned in an ENTIRE season with Surrey (scoring 12 goals) as a very young 16 year old, in the BCHL...

And not to be ignored, Brendan Budy also played at the Delta Hockey Academy...
          Last edited by Dan; 06-15-2019, 10:55 AM.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

And not to be ignored, Brendan Budy also played at the Delta Hockey Academy...
            Sorry, but Budy committed to UNoDak on 06/07/2019:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...9/brendan-budy

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
              Sorry, but Budy committed to UNoDak on 06/07/2019:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...9/brendan-budy
              That figures. Thanks.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

Griffin will be another test case - he played on a high-scoring Junior Bruins team and managed just eight goals in 50 games while racking up assists at the same age as Jones. It was enough to give Northeastern pause, so what will UNH get in the short- and long-term...?
                I like Griffin. Nice stick handling and ability to shift abound guys because he is lanky. I think he'll be a top line kid eventually, when he fills out he'll be pretty good.

John Evans is a pass first guy who always puts up gaudy assist totals - but he also has a better track record of scoring (and for me more ability to score) goals. He potted 20+ in each of his last two seasons at Delta Hockey Academy and advanced to the BCHL for a cup of coffee at 16 years old. I would be ecstatic to see UNH target Evans... .
                Good friends with Adanaz, and will be teammates now.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  Richels is a beast
                  I'm guessing from your handle that you're a Minnesota fan and perhaps reside there; have you actually seen him play in person? Call me skeptical, but if he's as good as his numbers might indicate (and not skewed as others have noted by some combination of inferior underage HS competition and skating with a top-notch linemate) why didn't he attract greater interest (presumably at a younger age) by any of the DivI in-state options like UMTC, SCSU, MSM, etc.? UNH has pried a few other Minnesota kids away from the lure of maroon/gold (e.g., Kessel, etc.), but I can't imagine this kid has dreamed his whole life of skating for the Wildcats, especially as it makes it so hard for his friends/family to regularly see him play in person. I'll be interested to read C-H-C's eventual email chat with him; perhaps then we'll get some insight into what made UNH such an attractive landing spot for him. All kudos to Coach Souza and his staff for reeling him in, but I think his upcoming Junior season will tell us a lot more re: his readiness to compete night in/night out in the season-long grind of Hockey East ...

Comment

We'll probably not meet Mr. Stutzle:

With his teammate Seider going 6th overall yesterday, must be a plus for the pro/draft path.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

is "german top prospect" anything like "tallest midget"?
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        is "german top prospect" anything like "tallest midget"?
                        Not according to Italian hockey superstar Mike Souza.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

We'll probably not meet Mr. Stutzle:

With his teammate Seider going 6th overall yesterday, must be a plus for the pro/draft path.
                          Moritz Seider demonstrated that Stützle doesn’t need to play major junior or USHL to prove he’s worthy of a first round NHL pick. He would get to stay home, play for Mannheim - the organization he knows well - graduate from a familiar high school, make a little money, and play for the German National Team.
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                            Moritz Seider demonstrated that Stützle doesn’t need to play major junior or USHL to prove he’s worthy of a first round NHL pick. He would get to stay home, play for Mannheim - the organization he knows well - graduate from a familiar high school, make a little money, and play for the German National Team.
                            So are we now most likely speculating he will stay 'home' for his draft season? Good point about Moritz and it prob rings true for Stützle . That said hope he's still on track for us... Personally...wouldn't surprise me (although I would be disappointed). Even if he did come to UNH we'd prob only have him for a year at most which is par for the course with a player of his caliber. Still...UNH is a nice place to be for a year!
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-22-2019, 11:13 AM.
                            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                              Even with that path he'd be a pro and not going to UNH. But as you know, Beichler is connected, so the tweet is significant. And if he was willing to relocate to Sioux City to help his pro prospects, I imagine going to major junior city of his choice may be more appealing. Kudos to UNH in identifying him early, but he developed better than they expected.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                                "....make a little money...."? But, then would he need to sit for a year-plus in Durham, like Engaras?
                                Last edited by Snively65; 06-22-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X