• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Stutzle - Rights previously held by Sioux City

USHL Phase II Draft
    Will Margel - 1/7 - Madison
    Trey Taylor - 4/52 - Tri-Cities (Brother of Ty Taylor)
    David Sacco - 5/64 - Waterloo
    Robert Cronin - 5/68 - Dubuque
    Aiden Curran - 6/84 - Cedar Rapids
    Liam Devlin - 7/107 Chicago
    Cy Leclerc - 8/117 - Cedar Rapids
    Jack Ring - 9/137 - Sioux City
    Morgan Winters - 11/157 - Green Bay
    Nick Cafarelli - 18/273 - Muskegon
    Dan, has Trey Taylor committed to UNH?
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• It’s one thing to look to avoid rushing prospects too deep into their development ahead of schedule - but the AAA/AA analogy doesn’t hold water for me...

Across all of MLB, AAA has become a haven for AAAA players and late developing prospects, while AA has become the true prospect league. Thats a league-wide change in philosophy. That’s not at all the case with the college hockey and the USHL...

Watcher’s point about youth in the USHL is fair. Fifteen years ago a recruiter told me it was an 18-year old league. It would be safe to say production in that league has only skewed older for many, BUT it’s still without a doubt the premier league for developing talent in college hockey prospects. Including the USNTDP that’s where the best college prospects come from, case closed...

Until, UNH can consistently get top-six/top-four USHL types (whether they play in the league, or the BCHL or other) you can forget about them competing in Hockey East. So, to avoid the league as part of a development model outside of sleepers would be a HUGE mistake.

Quite frankly - and to be fair - perhaps I just want these kids to prove to me they’re at that level. Despite some claims about pedigree I still have a lot of questions. I’d guess Watcher’s hesitancy in moving these players up revolves around much of the same concern - though I don’t want to put words in his mouth. Margel and Stutzle could play anywhere - as far as I’m concerned - and be ready for UNH...

Still, UNH finishing the week with with 11 players under USHL protection is a win (with Ardanaz certainly having the ability, also). Now, whether those players play in the USHL this year or next is up to them and their teams - who will decide on whether or not they’re individually ready and what their role might be if they do make the team. I’m sure they’ll all do what’s best for themselves - but I’m shocked that there is such push back on the idea they should all investigate and target the opportunity to play in the best junior league in North America...

Again, would anyone argue that scoring 18 goals, as a third-liner, in his first two USHL seasons hurt Grasso’s development? I think you could certainly make the case it helped him score 20+ in his third year and during his FR season at UNH. UNH has had plenty of go-to prep and Eastern Junior guys fail to exhibit any of that offensive flair as Wildcats. They’ve also seen plenty of talented kids have to grind in the bottom six for two-years AT UNH - behind real upper class talent, not like Foegel - and still break out. The skills were always there and always being developed even if it didn’t show in production. I think that’s the case in the USHL...

A guy like Esposito isn’t stifled offensively by going to the USHL early - he just never was an offensive kid. But what he does do got a lot better competing against older and better players. Was Mike Vecchione stifled by an adjustment year in the USHL? Or did it pay off for him in spades...?

Prep Hockey is not what it used to be. If Sacco is the best player in New England or even the best player at Lawrence it will only happen when/if/because (already) a number of his peers, including his teammates (Colangelo, Young, Doyle and Duran) decide (have decided) to push themselves at the USHL level (all of those teammates played at least one USHL game as early as last season)...

I’d much rather have Sacco get ready for UNH the Grasso way - adjusting to the USHL in a third-line role and then becoming a go-to guy at that level the following season. It beats dominating a watered-down level he’s already mastered and then adjusting to the USHL on a third-line role the season prior to coming to UNH. Or AT UNH. It’s not always about being a star - it’s about building to better. And if your not a GUY - often times it means really challenging yourself...

—-

All that said, this is an individual decision - so it’s not something that should be discussed with blanket statements.

Stutzle and Margel are locks to play in the USHL this season. UNH needs to get more players like this where there is no debate about whether they’re ready or able. That’s the key to getting the program back on track.

Curran absolutely should be I’m the league - he has no more developing to do at the NCDC level. If he can’t make his USHL team in an impactful role that’s a real concern. UNH needs him there proving he can handle the load so he can make an immediate impact in Durham...

I’m fine with whatever Sacco chooses - but I think they might want Sacco in Durham in 2020 and that’s why I believe he’s best served by playing at the USHL level right now.

I hope Cronin chooses Dubuque because I think he’s a natural scorer - and having to work as hard as possible to continue to develop that skill will be good for him. Even if he only manages 10-15 goals I think that pays off when he makes the adjustment to college - on top of having to play both ways. I also think he can handle a top-six role in the USHL...

I think staying at the prep-level would be best for Devlin - and he seems to feel the same way, preferring to graduate.

The other four Phase II are probably too young/not ready to make a team or make the jump. Not unexpectedly. But I’d love to see them try - and maybe surprise us all...

Turner was a futures pick.
      Last edited by Dan; 05-09-2019, 11:20 AM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Dan, has Trey Taylor committed to UNH?
        No, not to my knowledge. Just a draft-pick of note...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          So I was wrong in my guess about the additional forward they were trying to add. A nice pedigree. He's young, a true freshman, so may take a longer time to adjust, .
          Sounds like it came together quickly in May
          While the Burlington, Mass., native could still be eligible for up to three more junior seasons, he joined with his family and the University of New Hampshire coaching staff in deciding that it’s time to take his game to the NCAA Division 1 level. On Sunday, May 5, it was announced that Griffin signed a National Letter of Intent to join the UNH Wildcats as a true freshman this fall.

“I was fully focused on the season and then the playoffs, but my family and I talked after the season and we felt I was ready to go to college now,” said Griffin, on Monday. “A couple days after that, I talked to the UNH staff. I had met Coach [Mike] Souza before, so I knew him going into the process. I toured the campus and I loved it.

“After two years of 16U and two years of juniors, they also felt I was ready,” added Griffin.

Griffin was an NCDC All-Star, and a major offensive contributor for the Dineen Cup champion Junior Bruins, earning 34 assists and 42 points in all 50 regular season games. He also registered seven assists and nine points in eight playoff games.

Griffin will head to campus in Durham, N.H., and work to play himself into a regular offensive contributor at the next level. He’ll join former Junior Bruins Charlie Kelleher, Joe Cipollone and Mike Robinson with the Wildcats this fall.

“They didn’t mention any role or anything, but they said they have confidence in me as a player, and if I can keep progressing from where I am, they’ll do their best to make sure I’m on the ice,” said Griffin. “You like to hear that, that the coaches have confidence in you, as long as you do your job.”
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            Sounds like it came together quickly in May

While the Burlington, Mass., native could still be eligible for up to three more junior seasons, he joined with his family and the University of New Hampshire coaching staff in deciding that it’s time to take his game to the NCAA Division 1 level. On Sunday, May 5, it was announced that Griffin signed a National Letter of Intent to join the UNH Wildcats as a true freshman this fall.
            “I was fully focused on the season and then the playoffs, but my family and I talked after the season and we felt I was ready to go to college now,” said Griffin, on Monday. “A couple days after that, I talked to the UNH staff. I had met Coach [Mike] Souza before, so I knew him going into the process. I toured the campus and I loved it.

“After two years of 16U and two years of juniors, they also felt I was ready,” added Griffin.

Griffin was an NCDC All-Star, and a major offensive contributor for the Dineen Cup champion Junior Bruins, earning 34 assists and 42 points in all 50 regular season games. He also registered seven assists and nine points in eight playoff games.

Griffin will head to campus in Durham, N.H., and work to play himself into a regular offensive contributor at the next level. He’ll join former Junior Bruins Charlie Kelleher, Joe Cipollone and Mike Robinson with the Wildcats this fall.

“They didn’t mention any role or anything, but they said they have confidence in me as a player, and if I can keep progressing from where I am, they’ll do their best to make sure I’m on the ice,” said Griffin. “You like to hear that, that the coaches have confidence in you, as long as you do your job.”
            Similar to the Vecchione-to-UNH-to-"nope, we need you to develop more"-to-Vecchione-to-Union scenario from a few years ago. Not that I'm comparing Vecchione to Griffin
            UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Similar to the Vecchione-to-UNH-to-"nope, we need you to develop more"-to-Vecchione-to-Union scenario from a few years ago. Not that I'm comparing Vecchione to Griffin
              Can we expect Griffin's dad to become a regular contributor/critic of Coach Souza if it doesn't work out?
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Defenseman Nick Ardanaz (5-30-2002) plans to play for the West Kelowna Warriors (Liam Blackburn & Grayson Downing’s former team) in the BCHL next season:
                https://www.westkelownawarriors.ca/n...-for-2019-2020
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  No, not to my knowledge. Just a draft-pick of note...
                  Dan

UNH will likely be competing for top 4 in hockey east this year. 2020-21 should bring us closer to annual top 4 team like in the past and hope the recruiting wins will continue. I know you think I am completely delusional, but we lost only one of our top scorers and the sophomores and freshmen are a net plus. Defense and Goalies are very good. We have 6 NCAA level defensemen. Collins, Saviano, Callendar, Abbott, Aikens, Teplitsky, Conklin and others have kids who are only 4-6 years from college hockey. Many are coaches of elite teams in the area and we can hope they will be a big plus for our future recruiting as well as they great work over the past few years. The future is bright and we certainly competed well against our former Big 4 competitors over the past 2 decades over the past few years. Deep breaths as the future is bright.

Happy Mothers Day Ref and to all other mothers.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                    Defenseman Nick Ardanaz (5-30-2002) plans to play for the West Kelowna Warriors (Liam Blackburn & Grayson Downing’s former team) in the BCHL next season:
                    https://www.westkelownawarriors.ca/n...-for-2019-2020
                    The Langley native recently committed to the University of New Hampshire for 2021-2022. Ardanaz is also thrilled to be playing next to his close friend and former Delta teammate John Evans who is also a recent commit of the Warriors for 2019-2020. “John and I have played with each other for as long as I remember”, stated Ardanaz. “It will be great to play out our first years of junior together on the same team. John’s a great player and a better teammate.”

NCAA Watcher posted 08-26-2018, 09:45 AM

Giuliano needs to be on a plane to Vernon BC with a strong (full?) offer for Nick Ardanaz. The next Troy Stecher.

https://www.vipers.bc.ca/nick-ardanaz-commits-to-vipers

NCAA watcher 03:58 PM 11-20-2018
                    Now John Evans, please
                    https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/407656/john-evans

Dan 04:03 PM 11-20-2018
                    Yes please. Goal scorers. They need a few John Evanses. I'd also take their former DHA teammate Brandon Santa Juana. And another former teammate Trey Taylor (Ty Taylor's little brother) continues to play at lot for Vernon at 16...

So that puts Taylor, Evans and Scott Morrow with pretty deep connections to UNH to watch this year.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                      UNH will likely be competing for Top 4 in Hockey East this year. 2020-21 should bring us closer to [being an] annual top 4 team like in the past and hope [that] the recruiting wins will continue. I know you think I am completely delusional ...
                      Well, "delusional" might be a bit harsh; let's go with "excessively optimistic" and hope for the best :-)

Collins, Saviano, Callendar, Abbott, Aikens, Teplitsky, Conklin and others have kids who are only 4-6 years from college hockey.
                      That's all well and good, but let's see if (1) they develop sufficiently to be legitimate DivI players, and (2) they actually show any interest (and vice versa) in Dad's alma mater. As I'm sure you're well aware, the next son of a former player to suit up for the 'Cats will be the [bold]first[/bold] to ever do so, so let's not get too excited just yet. Still, until just a few years ago (when Sato began wearing the blue/white) we hadn't dressed a non-North-American-native skater either, so perhaps that change in thinking is a harbinger of a prodigal son to come. Nothing would make me happier than watching a 2nd generation Wildcat out there giving his all on the big sheet in hopes of outdoing his proud Dad watching from the stands. In the meantime, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this newly established European (and Asian) pipeline keeps on producing, and that players already flowing through the system (Stutzle, etc.) actually make it to Durham, if only for a year/two ...

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        So that puts Taylor, Evans and Scott Morrow with pretty deep connections to UNH to watch this year.
                        Santa Juana has 12 goals in 63 games for Surrey playing the entire season in the BCHL at 16...

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/407658/brandon-santa-juana
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

UNH will likely be competing for top 4 in hockey east this year.
                          Agreed. Probably means finishing 5th or 6th. At best.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Can we expect Griffin's dad to become a regular contributor/critic of Coach Souza if it doesn't work out?
                            GAAAWWD.....I hope not. Thank goodness that D-bag was finally banned.
                            UNH

Comment

Collins, Saviano, Callendar, Abbott, Aikens, Teplitsky, Conklin and others have kids who are only 4-6 years from college hockey.
                              Factually innaccurate. Saviano only became a parent within the last five years, and I'm pretty sure Callendar's kids (who have skated in between periods at the Whitt) are all under ten years old.

You need to lay off the sauce, especially on Mother's Day

Edit: From Savi's twitter: https://***********/SteveSaviano/sta...80984467881989

and https://***********/SteveSaviano/sta...07121080897536
                              Last edited by Scott; 05-12-2019, 09:07 PM.
                              UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                                Factually innaccurate. Saviano only became a parent within the last five years, and I'm pretty sure Callendar's kids (who have skated in between periods at the Whitt) are all under ten years old.
                                Maybe I'm wrong, Scott … but when '32 refers to the "kids" of those former UNH players being potential future Souza targets, my assumption was that he was including all of their players - since he did mention it in the context of many of those former players being "coaches of elite players in the area".

So I suspect he has Souza fishing from a somewhat deeper pond than these guys' direct gene pool.
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X