Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Based on their results this season I have to believe that SLU just had a bad game against the Gophers, likely playing about as poorly as they have all season. Yes, Minnesota was firing on all cylinders, and in terms of puck possession and zone time I think they played one of their better games this season. But still I agree that the Saints were not at all impressive in that game, and when the Gophers scored despite being two players down shorthanded that was pretty much the ballgame.

Meanwhile, I've seen BC online several times this season, and talent wise they are very strong. But as usual the question remains, do they play a schedule that's difficult enough to give them adequate preparation for the NCAA's? I look forward to seeing how they do against a better than expected Northeastern team Tuesday evening.

P.S. Don't mean to hijack the UMD thread, just following the conversation here.
    AGree about not hijacking but this started as support for UMD and their tough schedule hurting them. The 3-5 shorty happened because they had a 1 high umbrella & the 1 high was camped out at the top of the slot. That might work against slow teams but against a team with speed it is an invitation to embarrassment. It looked like they are not used to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      UMD has had decent games against the toughest teams in the nation & their reward is to finish out of the top 8. My opinion is weaker teams will make the final 8 because they didn't play as demanding a schedule. It's a crime because it is an argument to dodge tough teams.
      I've commented before that I like the fact that UMD for several years now has scheduled series vs tough opponents usually early in the season (and for several years BC has been on the dance card). One would think (although I did not see the series vs BC this season) especially after the positive outcome for them that that would carry over into the "weaker" part of their schedule but they are losing games that you would suspect that they shouldn't and thereby squandering the good start to the season. Maybe the series vs UM and UW caused the memory of the BC series to fade and the confidence level was not as high as it should have been. Who knows?

The team is inconsistent but has some individual talent. I don't think it yet plays as one.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        I've commented before that I like the fact that UMD for several years now has scheduled series vs tough opponents usually early in the season (and for several years BC has been on the dance card). One would think (although I did not see the series vs BC this season) especially after the positive outcome for them that that would carry over into the "weaker" part of their schedule but they are losing games that you would suspect that they shouldn't and thereby squandering the good start to the season. Maybe the series vs UM and UW caused the memory of the BC series to fade and the confidence level was not as high as it should have been. Who knows?

The team is inconsistent but has some individual talent. I don't think it yet plays as one.
        I really thought with Rooney returning this was their year to really challenge. The series up there against MN they looked disoriented and D-weak on Friday but ironed it all out on Saturday. Being early I thought they were the real deal. Still, full marks for not ducking and pretending

Comment

UMD split with BSU this weekend.

The 'Dogs can't seem to get their act together this season resulting in their...flip, flop, flip, flop...sub .500 record...

https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2019/1/...dji-state.aspx

https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2019/1/...n-5-2-win.aspx

Comment

Didn't see it but sounds like the 'Dogs had a good game tonight vs OSU.

It was a yo game as opposed to a yo game in their yo-yo like season.

Seems like the consensus is that this team plays their best when they just play to have fun.

Maybe they should have someone making cocktails in the kitchen during every game and substituting them for the water bottles on the bench.

And instead of watching game tapes to prepare for the opposition they might want to consider just sharing said libations with their opponents. It would be seen as such a nice gesture. The element of surprise is always a powerful advantage. That way UMD could have tons of fun and the other team wouldn't care what happened.

https://youtu.be/6M-5lrgjAU0
            Last edited by Blackbeard; 01-18-2019, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Wrap from last night's game vs OSU...the headline is a little over the top...

https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2019/1/...hio-state.aspx

Comment

The 'Dogs leave the Buckeyes with black eyes after completing the sweep today with a 6 -3 win.

Are these the real 'Dogs rounding the clubhouse turn at the back of the pack? Like way back.

Only time will tell.

At least they've increased their capital, if only temporarily.

Post game:
                https://youtu.be/wsaKGoNTK0k

Highlights of today' game...Klein's goal in the 3rd period is rather interesting...https://youtu.be/hWJMxh0YxCI

Highlights of yesterday's game...https://youtu.be/6heav7Zu0r0
                Last edited by Blackbeard; 01-19-2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

The 'Dogs leave the Buckeyes with black eyes after completing the sweep today with a 6 -3 win.

Are these the real 'Dogs rounding the clubhouse turn at the back of the pack? Like way back.

Only time will tell.

At least they've increased their capital, if only temporarily.

Post game:
                  https://youtu.be/wsaKGoNTK0k

Highlights of today' game...Klein's goal in the 3rd period is rather interesting...https://youtu.be/hWJMxh0YxCI

Highlights of yesterday's game...https://youtu.be/6heav7Zu0r0
                  Without Dunn OSU had no answer for Rogge and Brodt. Women against girls. Amazingly Maltais was on for all 6 against. She looked gassed. First time I watched UMD this year. Impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
                    Without Dunn OSU had no answer for Rogge and Brodt. Women against girls. Amazingly Maltais was on for all 6 against. She looked gassed. First time I watched UMD this year. Impressive.
                    UMD has been hard to figure out. They swept BC, which looked more impressive then than it does now, and played Minnesota really tight in the second game they played in Duluth. Then they meandered through the rest of the first half, before outplaying the Gophers in the first game of the Minnesota Cup.

That probably still makes them easier to figure out than OSU.

Comment

• Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

The 6-3 final on Saturday was deceptive (it was 4-3 until an empty netter followed by a power play goal with 30 seconds left in the game), but make no mistake, UMD looked really good this weekend. The Gophers have already had a taste of it, but it is pretty clear to me that the Bulldogs can skate with anybody in the country. dd17's observations are spot-on. Rogge and Brodt were the best two skaters on the ice this weekend, and OSU looked out of sync and ran out of gas playing from behind. On top of it all, Rooney looked like the goaltender everybody expected her to be coming into the season. If Duluth plays like they did this weekend, I don't think there are too many teams that would like to play them come March. Despite their middling record (which can be attributed to a solid nonconference slate), UMD will have a chance to play themselves into the NCAA tourney if they can actually take care of the teams below them in the standings and find a way to get some wins against the best two teams in the country. Winning the WCHA tournament is no easy feat, but it would be the surest (and certainly attainable) way for Duluth to prove they belong on the national stage once again.
                      2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

Originally posted by ChickHicks86 View Post
                        The 6-3 final on Saturday was deceptive (it was 4-3 until an empty netter followed by a power play goal with 30 seconds left in the game), but make no mistake, UMD looked really good this weekend. The Gophers have already had a taste of it, but it is pretty clear to me that the Bulldogs can skate with anybody in the country. dd17's observations are spot-on. Rogge and Brodt were the best two skaters on the ice this weekend, and OSU looked out of sync and ran out of gas playing from behind. On top of it all, Rooney looked like the goaltender everybody expected her to be coming into the season. If Duluth plays like they did this weekend, I don't think there are too many teams that would like to play them come March. Despite their middling record (which can be attributed to a solid nonconference slate), UMD will have a chance to play themselves into the NCAA tourney if they can actually take care of the teams below them in the standings and find a way to get some wins against the best two teams in the country. Winning the WCHA tournament is no easy feat, but it would be the surest (and certainly attainable) way for Duluth to prove they belong on the national stage once again.
                        Well said...to which I would only add this:

I've previously mentioned a couple of times that this team has talent but for the most part they don't seem to be on the same page when they take the ice. Maybe this weekend was a step toward correcting that problem as opposed to its being an accident.

I've also commented previously that they are fast and can give their opposition nightmares (your opinion/observation is that they "can skate with anybody in the country")...to which I would only add...when they feel like it.

Inconsistency has been their main problem and I also think that Rooney has not been playing like she was expected to or even like she was playing two seasons ago...but, neither can she score goals.

And I can empathize with osualum86 after reading his comments in the OSU thread...the 'Dogs have also lost several games this season to teams that one would have expected that they would have had no great difficulty defeating.

Hopefully, they've tossed the yo-yo in the garbage for the home stretch which would start to make things a lot more interesting.
                        Last edited by Blackbeard; 01-20-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

UMD 3 - QU 1

Here's the highlight reel...notably a real nice wrist shot by Norton from the face off circle for a short side PP goal...

https://youtu.be/gjxVPDhLGGU

Comment

QU 2 - UMD 1

Here's the highlight reel of yesterday's game.

And I use the term "highlight reel" loosely due to UMD's time honoured stunt, er, I mean, "tradition", of usually not showing the goals scored by the competition.

The 'Cats scored two goals 19 seconds apart.

The 'Dogs hit 2 posts and the 'Cats hit one.

A beautiful drop pass in front from Hanley to Hewett after Hanley was fed by Skinner but it was all for naught.

https://umdbulldogs.com/index.aspx?path=whockey

Comment

'Dogs down UM 3 -2 today on OT.

https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2019/2/...rtime-win.aspx

Comment

As the recap points out, the Bulldogs "have now won their last three games against top-five opponents". I would argue Ohio State is not a top 5 team (but they were ranked that high when they got swept in Duluth I suppose), but maybe the solution to UMD's inconsistency is to only play Top 5 competition

I'm not sure I'd bet on UMD to win any WCHA best of 3 series to open the tournament, but I sure wouldn't want to play them in a 1 game series in the Final Faceoff.
                                Last edited by ChickHicks86; 02-02-2019, 11:29 PM. Reason: A pretty unfortunate typo corrected
                                2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

Working...
                                X