Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 138

Thread: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

  1. #81
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,752

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread


  2. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,752

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Is there video for the game?
    I didn't think so, since there was no link on the UMD site, so I bolted.

    But before coming back here I checked CU's site and saw what you discovered...but from what you posted it still sounds like a no go for me for tomorrow's game.

    Was the video that crappy? I assume NE's video production is still the gold standard.

    Apparently Klein hit the post from reading the CU post game wrap.

    How was UMD's shooting, when they had opportunities?

  3. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    547

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    How was UMD's shooting, when they had opportunities?
    Honestly, it was hard to tell from the feed. Sauve looked sharp, but I'm not sure how much she was tested.

    ...but from what you posted it still sounds like a no go for me for tomorrow's game.
    They have Stretch Internet for those outside the U.S.

  4. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,752

  5. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    UMD has had decent games against the toughest teams in the nation & their reward is to finish out of the top 8. My opinion is weaker teams will make the final 8 because they didn't play as demanding a schedule. It's a crime because it is an argument to dodge tough teams.

  6. #86
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    21,655

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    UMD has had decent games against the toughest teams in the nation & their reward is to finish out of the top 8. My opinion is weaker teams will make the final 8 because they didn't play as demanding a schedule. It's a crime because it is an argument to dodge tough teams.
    I doubt that the 2-2 record versus BC and Clarkson hurts UMD all that much. The bigger problem is the 3-6-1 conference record, something teams can't dodge. I get your point, but St. Lawrence is playing roughly the same nonconference schedule (BC x 2, Clarkson x 2, and UM) and has a better record, because so far, it's done better in league play.

    I think that Brad Frost has a similar opinion as you do, that it doesn't make sense to schedule too tough OOC when the WCHA is so challenging. Personally, I'd rather that the difficulty was up a couple of notches. And you're correct, that the PWR (which is basically just the RPI at this point) will give more love to teams like Northeastern and Providence that play a much easier slate.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  7. #87
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I doubt that the 2-2 record versus BC and Clarkson hurts UMD all that much. The bigger problem is the 3-6-1 conference record, something teams can't dodge. I get your point, but St. Lawrence is playing roughly the same nonconference schedule (BC x 2, Clarkson x 2, and UM) and has a better record, because so far, it's done better in league play.

    I think that Brad Frost has a similar opinion as you do, that it doesn't make sense to schedule too tough OOC when the WCHA is so challenging. Personally, I'd rather that the difficulty was up a couple of notches. And you're correct, that the PWR (which is basically just the RPI at this point) will give more love to teams like Northeastern and Providence that play a much easier slate.
    Having seen SLU play against MN I am unimpressed, I was expecting a much greater challenge than they presented. Judging solely on their performance in NCAA (I have not seen them this year) I am equally unimpressed with BC. But, given the lack of interleague play, it will always be a debate. If I thought I knew enough to play along I would still list Clarkson as #1, all the top teams have losses and the champ is the champ until they get knocked out. But the few games I have seen outside the WCHA lead me to believe I would rather face Northeastern or Provdence in the NCAAs than UMD or BSU. OSU is really screwed because unless they can beat M or W their reward in March is a trip to Madison or Mpls and there are less worthy teams who will have an easier draw

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of Schottenstein Center
    Posts
    5,957

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    ...But the few games I have seen outside the WCHA lead me to believe I would rather face Northeastern or Provdence in the NCAAs than UMD or BSU. OSU is really screwed because unless they can beat M or W their reward in March is a trip to Madison or Mpls and there are less worthy teams who will have an easier draw
    The Buckeyes' situation isn't that straightforward, because Columbus to Minneapolis would be a flight.

    IIRC, 500 miles is the threshold. UW & Colgate are right on top the cut-point. Going by memories from last spring, rink location put Madison just under the limit, and Hamilton just over the limit. So the Madison scenario is pretty plausible. But if the committee has been even partially sincere that travel costs are the determining factor, there's no particular reason to force a UofM/tOSU Match-Up. Or a game with UMD. Either game, by itself, doesn't save travel money.

    If the pecking order stays similar to today, bracket integrity probably won't allow for OSU to be paired with the CHA Champ. But I think it's correct to say that the entire CHA is under the 500 mile threshold.

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    547

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    OSU is really screwed because unless they can beat M or W their reward in March is a trip to Madison or Mpls and there are less worthy teams who will have an easier draw
    Keep in mind that Columbus is not within the NCAA's bus radius of either Madison or Minneapolis, so they are not subject to being sent here to avoid a flight. The only reason they might end up at one of those places in contravention of the seeding is if it is necessary to do so in order to free up an eastern team to go to another eastern team. Granted, that's exactly what would happen if the PWR as of right now were used to do the seeding, and sending the CHA champion to Madison. Based strictly upon that ranking, OSU would go to Northeastern and BC would go to Minneapolis.

    The kicker, though, is that this would involve giving OSU what is, by the ranking, an easier game, as Northeastern is at #2 and Minnesota at #3.

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,077

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    Having seen SLU play against MN I am unimpressed, I was expecting a much greater challenge than they presented. Judging solely on their performance in NCAA (I have not seen them this year) I am equally unimpressed with BC.
    Based on their results this season I have to believe that SLU just had a bad game against the Gophers, likely playing about as poorly as they have all season. Yes, Minnesota was firing on all cylinders, and in terms of puck possession and zone time I think they played one of their better games this season. But still I agree that the Saints were not at all impressive in that game, and when the Gophers scored despite being two players down shorthanded that was pretty much the ballgame.

    Meanwhile, I've seen BC online several times this season, and talent wise they are very strong. But as usual the question remains, do they play a schedule that's difficult enough to give them adequate preparation for the NCAA's? I look forward to seeing how they do against a better than expected Northeastern team Tuesday evening.

    P.S. Don't mean to hijack the UMD thread, just following the conversation here.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Based on their results this season I have to believe that SLU just had a bad game against the Gophers, likely playing about as poorly as they have all season. Yes, Minnesota was firing on all cylinders, and in terms of puck possession and zone time I think they played one of their better games this season. But still I agree that the Saints were not at all impressive in that game, and when the Gophers scored despite being two players down shorthanded that was pretty much the ballgame.

    Meanwhile, I've seen BC online several times this season, and talent wise they are very strong. But as usual the question remains, do they play a schedule that's difficult enough to give them adequate preparation for the NCAA's? I look forward to seeing how they do against a better than expected Northeastern team Tuesday evening.

    P.S. Don't mean to hijack the UMD thread, just following the conversation here.
    AGree about not hijacking but this started as support for UMD and their tough schedule hurting them. The 3-5 shorty happened because they had a 1 high umbrella & the 1 high was camped out at the top of the slot. That might work against slow teams but against a team with speed it is an invitation to embarrassment. It looked like they are not used to speed.

  12. #92
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,752

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    UMD has had decent games against the toughest teams in the nation & their reward is to finish out of the top 8. My opinion is weaker teams will make the final 8 because they didn't play as demanding a schedule. It's a crime because it is an argument to dodge tough teams.
    I've commented before that I like the fact that UMD for several years now has scheduled series vs tough opponents usually early in the season (and for several years BC has been on the dance card). One would think (although I did not see the series vs BC this season) especially after the positive outcome for them that that would carry over into the "weaker" part of their schedule but they are losing games that you would suspect that they shouldn't and thereby squandering the good start to the season. Maybe the series vs UM and UW caused the memory of the BC series to fade and the confidence level was not as high as it should have been. Who knows?

    The team is inconsistent but has some individual talent. I don't think it yet plays as one.

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    I've commented before that I like the fact that UMD for several years now has scheduled series vs tough opponents usually early in the season (and for several years BC has been on the dance card). One would think (although I did not see the series vs BC this season) especially after the positive outcome for them that that would carry over into the "weaker" part of their schedule but they are losing games that you would suspect that they shouldn't and thereby squandering the good start to the season. Maybe the series vs UM and UW caused the memory of the BC series to fade and the confidence level was not as high as it should have been. Who knows?

    The team is inconsistent but has some individual talent. I don't think it yet plays as one.
    I really thought with Rooney returning this was their year to really challenge. The series up there against MN they looked disoriented and D-weak on Friday but ironed it all out on Saturday. Being early I thought they were the real deal. Still, full marks for not ducking and pretending

  14. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,752

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    UMD split with BSU this weekend.

    The 'Dogs can't seem to get their act together this season resulting in their...flip, flop, flip, flop...sub .500 record...

    https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2019/1/...dji-state.aspx

    https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2019/1/...n-5-2-win.aspx

  15. #95
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,752

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    Didn't see it but sounds like the 'Dogs had a good game tonight vs OSU.

    It was a yo game as opposed to a yo game in their yo-yo like season.

    Seems like the consensus is that this team plays their best when they just play to have fun.

    Maybe they should have someone making cocktails in the kitchen during every game and substituting them for the water bottles on the bench.

    And instead of watching game tapes to prepare for the opposition they might want to consider just sharing said libations with their opponents. It would be seen as such a nice gesture. The element of surprise is always a powerful advantage. That way UMD could have tons of fun and the other team wouldn't care what happened.

    https://youtu.be/6M-5lrgjAU0
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 01-18-2019 at 11:36 PM.

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,752

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    Wrap from last night's game vs OSU...the headline is a little over the top...

    https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2019/1/...hio-state.aspx

  17. #97
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,752

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    The 'Dogs leave the Buckeyes with black eyes after completing the sweep today with a 6 -3 win.

    Are these the real 'Dogs rounding the clubhouse turn at the back of the pack? Like way back.

    Only time will tell.

    At least they've increased their capital, if only temporarily.

    Post game:
    https://youtu.be/wsaKGoNTK0k

    Highlights of today' game...Klein's goal in the 3rd period is rather interesting...https://youtu.be/hWJMxh0YxCI

    Highlights of yesterday's game...https://youtu.be/6heav7Zu0r0
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 01-19-2019 at 09:35 PM.

  18. #98
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Isolated in the mid west
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    The 'Dogs leave the Buckeyes with black eyes after completing the sweep today with a 6 -3 win.

    Are these the real 'Dogs rounding the clubhouse turn at the back of the pack? Like way back.

    Only time will tell.

    At least they've increased their capital, if only temporarily.

    Post game:
    https://youtu.be/wsaKGoNTK0k

    Highlights of today' game...Klein's goal in the 3rd period is rather interesting...https://youtu.be/hWJMxh0YxCI

    Highlights of yesterday's game...https://youtu.be/6heav7Zu0r0
    Without Dunn OSU had no answer for Rogge and Brodt. Women against girls. Amazingly Maltais was on for all 6 against. She looked gassed. First time I watched UMD this year. Impressive.

  19. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    547

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dd17 View Post
    Without Dunn OSU had no answer for Rogge and Brodt. Women against girls. Amazingly Maltais was on for all 6 against. She looked gassed. First time I watched UMD this year. Impressive.
    UMD has been hard to figure out. They swept BC, which looked more impressive then than it does now, and played Minnesota really tight in the second game they played in Duluth. Then they meandered through the rest of the first half, before outplaying the Gophers in the first game of the Minnesota Cup.

    That probably still makes them easier to figure out than OSU.

  20. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    49

    Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

    The 6-3 final on Saturday was deceptive (it was 4-3 until an empty netter followed by a power play goal with 30 seconds left in the game), but make no mistake, UMD looked really good this weekend. The Gophers have already had a taste of it, but it is pretty clear to me that the Bulldogs can skate with anybody in the country. dd17's observations are spot-on. Rogge and Brodt were the best two skaters on the ice this weekend, and OSU looked out of sync and ran out of gas playing from behind. On top of it all, Rooney looked like the goaltender everybody expected her to be coming into the season. If Duluth plays like they did this weekend, I don't think there are too many teams that would like to play them come March. Despite their middling record (which can be attributed to a solid nonconference slate), UMD will have a chance to play themselves into the NCAA tourney if they can actually take care of the teams below them in the standings and find a way to get some wins against the best two teams in the country. Winning the WCHA tournament is no easy feat, but it would be the surest (and certainly attainable) way for Duluth to prove they belong on the national stage once again.
    2005 Piston Cup Champion

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •