UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

Scoreless after one...barely. Luckily the clock had just run out before a shot that deflected off Bell got passed Rooney. Didn't need another fluky one similar to one last night.

PP is anemic...had trouble getting the puck out of their own end. Defence not looking much different than last night.

Not much, if any, flow to UMD's game so far...not exactly tape to tape.

And someone please explain the concept of the top half of the net when in close to these players.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      THE BRIDGE FROM AMSOIL TO CANAL PARK IS CLOSED!

I should have said that earlier but it didn't cross my mind.
      They are doing some sort of Maintenance work and the drawbridge is up
      Thanks...well, then a walk of a few blocks causing the 'Doghouse door to remain tentatively open.

Comment

UMD 2 - UM 0 after two.

Nice quick shot by Hughes in close right off the face off after scooping up a shot from the face off circle.

Knowles drew a 5 minute major and was tossed for hitting from behind.

And Klein in front on a 5 on 3 after a few attempts by UMD.

UMD then squandered the the advantage with a high stick.

The 'Dogs showing some life and a bit of urgency which is encouraging.

Comment

Official 2-2 tie, UMD wins shootout for the extra point.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

UMD with a 2-0 shoot out win with Hughes and Houston scoring for the 'Dogs.

Lots of patience by Hughes on that goal...looked like she was ready to make herself a sandwich while waiting for Scobee to commit herself.

Some encouraging signs in the last half of the game from UMD. Hopefully some of the ingredients blend together soon to create some flow and added intensity of play would also help...which we saw glimpses of this in the second half of the game after UMD scored their first goal.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              UMD wins shootout for the extra point.
              Minnesota should should forfeit the point and not even bother participating in the shootout.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                Minnesota should should forfeit the point and not even bother participating in the shootout.
                Better yet they should score a real goal during regulation time so it doesn't go to a shootout!

Gotta give UMD lots of credit for bouncing back and playing a much better game today. Gophers outshot them 39-25 but the Dawgs had at least twice as many quality opportunities than they did yesterday. I thought both goalies played well and deserve credit for keeping it a low scoring game, as there was lots of offense both ways. All in all, a very entertaining series between two quality teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                  ... Any recommendations for place to eat between the women's and men's games? Something fairly nice would be good, considering I convinced my wife to spend our anniversary watching hockey!
                  It always amazes me that so few people make the trek across the skyway into downtown, judging from the looks, most could use the exercise. There is an Irish bar there, and a brew pub that is also in St. Cloud and soon to be Mankato, apparently they see a the relationship between college students and fermented beverages. Or maybe hockey fans and alcohol.

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

Knowles drew a 5 minute major and was tossed for hitting from behind.

UMD then squandered the the advantage with a high stick.
                  MN also squandered their opportunity when UMD had a player tossed for the same thing, although they at least scored one before that happened.

The fun of going to Amsoil Arena is that compared to Ridder, the food seems like a 5 star restaurant. The downside of this however, is that I missed who was on the ice when the Gophers missed getting a goal by a billionth or two of a second. I must confess that in the waning seconds I was busy debating which flavor of ice cream I was going to get, and consequently although I *think* I saw Keller on the ice I can’t be sure it was the fourth line, despite the fact it all happened right in front of me.

Comparing the sight lines of the two arenas, Ridder is vastly superior IMO, at Amsoil the seats rise less steep, and consequently the farther the row you are sitting in, the farther you are from the action compared to Ridder. Sitting at the blue line you can’t even see what is happening in the far zone along the same side. IMO, the best seats are in the end corners, but there is only one side with end corners given the location of the band and the licker stand.

Ridder is steeper, putting you above the action giving a better view. Just about any seat in Ridder is better than the best at Amsoil. But before, during, and after periods, Amsoil wins hands down, and walking the skyway sure beats walking outside along University Avenue in January. The nice thing about going to Duluth is I can bring the 12 ga., the 30 ought 6 and fishin’ pole along and have some fun between games and the rest of the weekend. There was a lot of mud to be washed off the Subie when I got home.
                  Last edited by pokechecker; 10-10-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2018/10...ek-honors.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                      It always amazes me that so few people make the trek across the skyway into downtown, judging from the looks, most could use the exercise.
                      We did end up doing that after the mens game, heading down to Blacklist, one of several fantastic breweries we stopped at over the weekend. Only downfall was that it was a bit tough getting back to the car after the skyway closed. Between games, we wound up at the Vietnamese place in Canal Park. With less than an hour and a half between games, finding a place we could eat pretty quickly became the priority. We did enjoy OMC smokehouse on Sunday while at Bent Paddle.

The fun of going to Amsoil Arena is that compared to Ridder, the food seems like a 5 star restaurant.
                      The only thing we ate there was some horribly burnt popcorn. Having a decent beer from Castle Danger for $6 at the womens game was nice, but having bud light as the only beer option at the mens game was a hard pass.
                      Comparing the sight lines of the two arenas, Ridder is vastly superior IMO, at Amsoil the seats rise less steep, and consequently the farther the row you are sitting in, the farther you are from the action compared to Ridder. Sitting at the blue line you can’t even see what is happening in the far zone along the same side. IMO, the best seats are in the end corners, but there is only one side with end corners given the location of the band and the licker stand.
                      Agreed. We wandered a bit during the womens game, but were generally at the blue line and seeing the other end was a challenge. for the mens game, our seats were low in the corner, and it was much easier to see all the action.

The nice thing about going to Duluth is I can bring the 12 ga., the 30 ought 6 and fishin’ pole along and have some fun between games and the rest of the weekend. There was a lot of mud to be washed off the Subie when I got home.
                      It's hard to argue with spending an early October weekend near Lake Superior. The temps in the 40s were fantastic, and colors made for great hiking on Sunday - and actually had me annoyed at getting home to temps near 80 on Monday.

And with all that, the game on Saturday was also very entertaining to watch. Looking forward to more of the same when I head to LaBahn this afternoon.

Comment

UW 4 - UMD 2 SOG: UW 40 - UMD 14 (that might have had something to do with it...that's as many as UW got in the 2nd period alone)

Starting to wonder if Rooney has misplaced her magic wand...although I wasn't able to watch the game...but one possible benefit of the usurious fees being charged is that it appears as though game replays are available to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                          Starting to wonder if Rooney has misplaced her magic wand...although I wasn't able to watch the game...
                          Hard to place much blame on Rooney for this one. The first goal she gave up was a beautify sniped shot that hit the inside of the far goalpost, the next 3 were all power play goals and were clean shots. The shot total really was reflective of how much Wisconsin dominated UMD for the vast majority of the game. Even the 2 goals UMD did score were goals in transition and they hardly spent any time running any kind of offense.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the story with McKenzie Revering's injury? I sat behind her for the entire game, and she had a brace on her left knee, but her enthusiasm for her teammates was very fun to watch.

Comment

Diggers 1 - 'Dogs 1 after one. SOG 16-6 Diggers.

The 'Dogs scored first and early at 19:04 on what looked like some confusion on Campbell's part behind her net.

UMD are way too casual in their own end for my liking...need to play with intensity and press UW to take away time and space to force turnovers and reduce the shot count.

Rooney let the one UW goal in that looked like it should have been a garden variety save...unless it was possibly slightly deflected but that was impossible to tell from the one replay.

But she also stuffed a 2 on 1 and looked good doing it.
                            Last edited by Blackbeard; 10-14-2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                              Hard to place much blame on Rooney for this one. The first goal she gave up was a beautify sniped shot that hit the inside of the far goalpost, the next 3 were all power play goals and were clean shots. The shot total really was reflective of how much Wisconsin dominated UMD for the vast majority of the game. Even the 2 goals UMD did score were goals in transition and they hardly spent any time running any kind of offense.
                              Thanks for the eyes that were there update.

Comment

Pankowski scores off a faceoff to make it 2-1 Badgers.

Comment

Working...
                                X