Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMD 2018-19 Season Thread

Diggers 2 - 'Dogs 1 after two.

Rooney looked good stopping a breakaway but not so good on the goal which may have slowed up on her.

UMD doesn't seem to be interested in skating with UW. If you are playing against a team who is skating faster than you are and making decisions and responding faster than you are one would think that you would throw some coals on the fire and slam it in to overdrive in an attempt to compete or to attempt to turn the tide and gain the advantage in play. Doesn't appear that that option has dawned on the 'Dogs.

They clocked 2 shots on goal in the second. That normally won't cut it. The cogs don't appear to be meshing at the moment. On the other hand, and I realize that the game isn't over, they have had a trial by fire for three weeks after coming out of the chute. Their schedule should get easier from here and give them some perspective.

Comment

Final: Wisconsin 3, UMD 1.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Diggers 3 - 'Dogs 1 final.

Missed the first 12 minutes of the 3rd so missed the UW goal.

But the last couple minutes with an empty net and a man advantage were pathetic...couldn't get the puck out of their own end.

If all you can muster is 3 or 4 shots on goal per period that should tell Crowell that she has work to do and fast.

This team needs to get sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          They have had a trial by fire for three weeks after coming out of the chute. Their schedule should get easier from here and give them some perspective.
          I think if you had offered Crowell a 2-3-1 after three weeks of BC, UM and UW, she would have taken it. If she wouldn't, then I would have taken it on her behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
            I think if you had offered Crowell a 2-3-1 after three weeks of BC, UM and UW, she would have taken it. If she wouldn't, then I would have taken it on her behalf.
            I wouldn't argue with that, in fact, I sort of alluded to that a few posts earlier.

My comments were directed at their effort and execution. Lots of time was spent in their own end watching what UW was doing while pretending that sort of skating around in their own end a bit was a great defense against UW's possession time and shooting gallery demeanour. I saw several instances of 'Dogs...well...'Dogging it with respect to loose pucks that they could have gotten to first with some effort but instead they chose to be really casual about it and let the UW player easily get there first and pick up the puck...as though it was not important.

My disappointment is in their attitudes which translated into their "effort" on the ice which translated into how "competitive" that looked and I'm sure, felt to them. These things are vicious/virtuous circles.

On the other hand UW played like they were confident in their abilities which translated into more than casual effort on the ice which keeps feeding on itself when you win the majority of the battles.

So, I'm not as concerned that the 'Dogs lost as I am with how they lost.

It's between the ears.

Comment

Starting to wonder if Rooney has misplaced her magic wand...although I wasn't able to watch the game...but one possible benefit of the usurious fees being charged is that it appears as though game replays are available to watch.
              UMD needs more than just a goalie. At this point the gap between UW and UMD is wide, which really makes me question BC.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Hats off to Rooney...
                https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2018/10...-the-year.aspx

Comment

Well deserved.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

UW 4 - UMD 2 SOG: UW 40 - UMD 14 (that might have had something to do with it...that's as many as UW got in the 2nd period alone)

Starting to wonder if Rooney has misplaced her magic wand...although I wasn't able to watch the game...but one possible benefit of the usurious fees being charged is that it appears as though game replays are available to watch.
                    don't lose faith. she's the best around. people need to understand that a goalie is part of a defense. some are quicker than others, some move better, some don't give up many rebounds.
                    if you look at all of the best goalies that had low GAA and most that had high save % you will see the defense was outstanding also. Ex: WI, BC, MN, Clarkson, OSU,

I know you're still happy to have her...she can only do so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
                      don't lose faith. she's the best around. people need to understand that a goalie is part of a defense. some are quicker than others, some move better, some don't give up many rebounds.
                      if you look at all of the best goalies that had low GAA and most that had high save % you will see the defense was outstanding also. Ex: WI, BC, MN, Clarkson, OSU,

Saw her against MN and she is solid, she gave UMD that tie. Unfortunately for her she has a lot of young D in front of her and they didn't do her any favors. But it is very early and those kids have talent, come February & March I think the results could be very different.

Comment

'Dogs 3 - Beavs 1 after two.

Only caught the last half of the 2nd period bit it was pretty much all 'Dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                          Saw her against MN and she is solid, she gave UMD that tie. Unfortunately for her she has a lot of young D in front of her and they didn't do her any favors. But it is very early and those kids have talent, come February & March I think the results could be very different.
                          Yeah, I'm hoping for something like the last 2 months of the 2015-16 season where they had been flying under everyone's radar and also seemed to be peaking with Stalder, Brykaliuk and McGovern dominating the offence and Rooney just coming into her own with serious confidence.

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post

You are right but since that game (which I didn't see) I've seen her let in 2 or 3 soft ones that (unless they were deflected, which was close to impossible to tell from the camera angle in the replay) were shockers.

Hopefully, they were just early season anomalies.

I've wondered, as well, if there has been a "difficult" adjustment coming down from that heady place that she occupied early this year. Experiences like that can make one feel like they are flying on the ground while they are occurring.
                          Last edited by Blackbeard; 10-19-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

'Dogs 6 - Beavs 1 final.

As UMD pots one at the final buzzer.

Rooney stopped a 2 man breakaway after the UMD defence went awol in the neutral zone.

Bell swatted a falling crabapple into the net from behind the BSU goaltender after the initial shot climbed high into the air.

And Rogge on a nice shot coming in on the right wing that looked like it went five hole.

Nice to see the 'Dogs get some positive reinforcement on the scoring front although the Beavs might beg to differ.

Comment

Nice to see the 'Dogs get some positive reinforcement on the scoring front although the Beavs might beg to differ.
                              With today's game in the books, Bemidji goalies have a .788 save percentage on the season. Something's seriously wrong there, and a lot of teams are going to get to feel better about their offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                                With today's game in the books, Bemidji goalies have a .788 save percentage on the season. Something's seriously wrong there, and a lot of teams are going to get to feel better about their offense.
                                Yeah, I was paying attention to the BSU goaltender but you could quickly discern (with all due respect to the BSU goaltender...and I haven't had time to check out their new roster so I don't know who the goaltender is) that her play wasn't top tier...at least not today.

I was trying to be diplomatic by not mentioning that previously...my thinking being that, regardless of the level of competition, scoring multiple goals would be a positive emotional reinforcement for UMD's offence after their sorry display last weekend.

Sort of like, beggars can't be choosers.

Comment

Working...
                                X