'18-'19 NESCAC season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '18-'19 NESCAC season

Various headlines in the local Sunday papers proclaim something along the lines of "Gold(stein)en Leidt fills Kenyon" reflecting the fact that goaltender Goldstein (24/24) and sniper Leidt (rare NESCAC natural hat trick) led the Panthers to a 3-0 win over Amherst Saturday afternoon.

Leidt showed the direction the game would go in, drilling one off the crossbar from low, right circle at 4:50. Amherst created extended possessions and pressure on Goldstein middle of the first, but was unable to score. Mammoth tender Walker thwarted Barney at 16: with a nice move to cover; Barney handcuffed her with a drive from low right circle, then Walker moved right stuffing Barney, who'd fought to the gloveside of the crease, finding her own rebound. An innocent line change dump in became a good chance for Amherst at 18:30 with Flynn racing down the puck in the right circle and swooping in on Goldstein at the gloveside post.

The 2nd period action was back and forth with chances at both ends of the ice. Midd D and Goldstein were very good killing an Amherst powerplay called at 14:37. The Panthers then cashed in a 5x3 goal (second Mammoth penalty a stick flying slash top of the crease). Leidt won a faceoff in the left circle, Jackson fed Marotta up top, Leidt set up in the left circle, and rammed the return feed on a onetime forehand past goalie Walker up gloveside.

3rd period opened with Goldstein making a blocker stop on Amherst's Hoang at :35, followed by long Mammoth possession in the offensive zone around 8:15 and a good scoring chance by Mammoth McNamara. Leidt's second score came with Ryan pinching deep in the left corner, getting the puck to Jackson on the end boards; Jackson moved behind the net, feeding Leidt in the slot for the forehand score. Leidt's hat trick came on the powerplay with Zumwinkle fielding a clearing attempt high inside the blueline, launching a drive that Walker kicked out, only to see Leidt catch and release the rebound from low left circle, in the open twine stickside.

Amherst emerges from the foray to Vermont as a very good (4-5-2, 1-3-2 NESCAC), but I am sure disappointed, team. Middlebury improves to 5-2-3, 4-0-2 NESCAC (securing NESCAC tie-breakers with Conn, Amherst and Trinity thus far).

Comment

Bowdoin rides a stellar effort by goalkeeper St. Denis and 2 goals by Bell to a 2-1 OT win over Middlebury.
      Safe travels to you all.
      Last edited by obserbear; 01-19-2019, 07:17 PM. Reason: 'n'

Comment

The Bants are vastly improved with the addition of their transfers. The Polar Bears finally got off to that good start I talked about

Comment

Mammoths take down the Cadets 3-1 behind goalie Walker's outstanding evening!

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
            Mammoths take down the Cadets 3-1 behind goalie Walker's outstanding evening!
            Amherst deserved the win. Out skated the Cadets all night.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Amherst deserved the win. Out skated the Cadets all night.
              Sad I missed fan appreciation night at Kreitzberg. Norwich appeared to be the ones with 'bus legs' as the game opened. Amherst aggressive forecheck and Walker in the Mammoth net were the story.

The Norwich NSN broadcast team are my favorite on-line producers...replay no less...great job!!!

Comment

Sad I missed fan appreciation night at Kreitzberg. Norwich appeared to be the ones with 'bus legs' as the game opened. Amherst aggressive forecheck and Walker in the Mammoth net were the story.

The Norwich NSN broadcast team are my favorite on-line producers...replay no less...great job!!!

Norwich seems like a PaperTiger this year...Ranked high based on last year and reputation. They are a good team but not a top team...more like #8 if you ask me. One-woman show on offense. Stop Conway and you stop them. That said, Amherst is a very solid team [as are at least 6-7 others in the NESCAC].

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
                  Norwich seems like a PaperTiger this year...Ranked high based on last year and reputation. They are a good team but not a top team...more like #8 if you ask me. One-woman show on offense. Stop Conway and you stop them. That said, Amherst is a very solid team [as are at least 6-7 others in the NESCAC].
                  I’m not sure if I would go that far to say papertiger. Certainly didn’t have great results vs. Plattsburgh and Elmira this year but they did win a thriller game vs. Adrian, who beat Plattsburgh and Elmira both this year IIRC.

Conway is certainly the star but McGovern is very talented too. NU has had a hard time replacing Schwenzfeier which really gave them 2 great lines last year. Just haven’t been able to find a consistent person to fit in that role which has generated more line shuffling including breaking up McGovern and Conway from the same line.

We’ll see what happens in the Middlebury game, but Norwich certainly still has the talent to get to the FF this year. Just need it to all come together.

I think Elmira might have the goods this year with all those seniors...
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Trinity can't feel good about this result....not good at all...they have to be feeling very sick about it in fact.

Comment

I did not go up to Hartford for this game, but looks like Coach Maurice wanted to get some play for a goalie who had not yet seen the ice this season, ran into a Plymouth St. goalie having one of those 48/50 'puck looks like a basket ball games' and the rest is in the books. Hats off to Plymouth St! Got up two, saw Trinity score twice and then made a one goal lead stand up for a period and a half, despite being outshot 19-2 in the 3rd

Comment

I did not go up to Hartford for this game, but looks like Coach Maurice wanted to get some play for a goalie who had not yet seen the ice this season, ran into a Plymouth St. goalie having one of those 48/50 'puck looks like a basket ball games' and the rest is in the books. Hats off to Plymouth St! Got up two, saw Trinity score twice and then made a one goal lead stand up for a period and a half, despite being outshot 19-2 in the 3rd
                        It is definitely NOT the goalie's fault. When you get 50 shots on goal 5 or 6 of those shots have to get across that goal line somehow, not just 2 of them. This was obviously a scoring problem or a lack of scoring to be specific. The problem as I have seen it in D3 hockey is the overall shooting skills are not great and I would guess that at least 80% of shots are right into the stomach of opposing goalies. You and I could make those saves. Shot selection, shot location and accuracy is what is severely lacking. When you shoot into a goalie's stomach that often you're making her look great and her save percentage thanks you very much!!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          It is definitely NOT the goalie's fault. When you get 50 shots on goal 5 or 6 of those shots have to get across that goal line somehow, not just 2 of them. This was obviously a scoring problem or a lack of scoring to be specific. The problem as I have seen it in D3 hockey is the overall shooting skills are not great and I would guess that at least 80% of shots are right into the stomach of opposing goalies. You and I could make those saves. Shot selection, shot location and accuracy is what is severely lacking. When you shoot into a goalie's stomach that often you're making her look great and her save percentage thanks you very much!!
                          I get what you're saying, but it's all relative [i.e. the speed, strength, skill, etc. at the D3 level isn't the same as D1] but since it's across the board for all positions, I don't see the point.

Comment

A goalie facing 50 shots and giving 5 goals (.900 save %) or 6 goals (.880 save %) as a career stat would not see much ice time on pretty much any DIII (certainly NESCAC) roster.

Comment

Obserbears, 1000% correct!

Comment

Hey, The bear's managed their second win, now two in a row!

Comment

Working...
                                X