Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2018-19

Colgate 3, Cornell 2, in OT.
    Cornell 40, Colgate 20, SOG after three.
    Mitch. Mitch. Mitch.
    Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 01-27-2019, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Benson was simply unconscious and, as usual, the kids played their hearts out...and glad to FINALLY beat a Cornell team...but also a note of realism: the talent disparity is very, very wide and while we can celebrate a great win (in the short-run) the long-term issues are not going away...first line is good, but there is virtually no scoring from the other three lines...BTW, I thought the Cornell announcers were great; objective, knowledgeable and very fair to The Gate...

Comment

And they pull it out in OT! Cornell announcers were very fair, lots of props for Benson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magoo View Post

Maybe we’ll lose Friday but win Saturday at Lynah, kind of like how we did with QPac a few weeks ago.

But I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.
          I guess I should have bet the farm!

Congratulations to the team on a great win

Comment

All hail Mitch Benson!! He did his best imitation of Mark Dekanich tonight to stone Cornell. If he could bring that to every game we will turn our season around - especially the playoffs. The team had jump and some good opportunities. The guys have to draw confidence from this win and the P'ton-QU weekend; they know what it takes to win now. Let's see what they can do the rest of the way. Great win!!
            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

It’s 10:30 p.m. and I am home in Owego and just so pumped up right now. Really proud of the young men for their play this whole weekend, not just tonight. And Mitch Benson has a career game this evening at Lynah. Wow!
              I am friends with a couple that are long-time Cornell hockey boosters. They told me last night before the game that they had attended the Thursday afternoon Big Red hockey luncheon and their Cornell coach was not happy with his team’s practices this past week. He certainly wouldn’t have been happy last night that the PWR #47 team took his PWR #11 team to the limit, 3-2. Then tonight, his goalie gets scored on very late in the first period and very early in the second period and is immediately pulled in favor Galajda. He tried unsuccessfully to shake up his team, but Mitch was the absolute difference in the game. On at least two separate occasions, the pipes were his dear friend.
              In the third period, all we tried to do was hang on, by dumping the puck or tying them up along the boards. It nearly worked, but Cornell scored a beautiful goal. And, in OT, anything can happen and it did. Cornell appeared in control... until they weren’t. As has been said many times on here this season.... our young men just don’t give up!!
              I am so glad I went to both games this weekend. My guess is that we won’t make it to Lake Placid this year as a team, but I know that I will be there. This rivalry weekend has just been a great advertisement for college hockey.

Comment

WHAT A GOALIE!! WHAT A GAME!!! Iowa, thanks for your wonderful posts! Always a pleasure to read. I am so incredibly happy for the guys! GO 'GATE!!!

Comment

Great rundown Iowa. You really captured the excitement of the weekend. I picked it up with 12 min to go and with my bottle of Malox next to me.

Does anyone know when was the last time we won on Cornell's ice??
                  COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by Gate83 View Post
                    And they pull it out in OT! Cornell announcers were very fair, lots of props for Benson.
                    Cornell fan, here. Benson was incredible. One of the best opposing goalie performances at Lynah I have ever seen, and that covers 38 seasons and a lot of All-American goalies.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                      Does anyone know when was the last time we won on Cornell's ice??
                      7 years ago today.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

in addition to Benson's efforts what is also impressive is Kepler's 60,865 posts...is that # correct?

Comment

from College Hockey News...
                          Saturday, Benson was brilliant, and John Snodgrass scored two goals, including an overtime winner, in Colgate's 3-2 win over Cornell in Ithaca. The teams ended the weekend with a split of the Route 13 rivalry.
                          Benson finished with 41 saves in the win.
                          "Besides their top line, (Benson) was the best player on the ice for both teams," Cornell coach Mike Schafer said. "You gotta bury your chances. We missed like three empty nets in the first period. We hit a couple posts, and, then, we had opportunities (Benson) just made freakin unbelievable saves.
                          "We got worse this week. That's evident from our defensive zone play."
                          After an even first period between the teams, the score stood, 1-1.
                          Cornell took over in the second period. Partially because of what happened 15 seconds into the frame. Paul Meyer scored to give the Raiders a 2-1 lead.
                          Cornell put together a 36-13 shot advantage for the rest of the game.
                          Even though they eventually managed an equalizer from Cam Donaldson at 13:42 of the third period, Benson and Snodgrass got the last laugh in the end. Benson robbed Cornell blind on at least three different occasions in the third period on shots that looked sure to be the Big Red's game winner. They weren't.

Comment

Who's our first line, Snodgrass, McMann and Cockrell ??
                            Last edited by sshablak; 01-28-2019, 08:59 AM.
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                              Who's our first line, Snodgrass, McMann and Cockrell ??
                              Snodgrass, McMann, McKechney

Comment

Ty
                                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X