Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Colgate 2018-19

Re: Colgate 2018-19

At Messa Rink at Union College’s Achilles Center for more Colgate hockey team in action. Hopefully that last part is two words, not one.

Mitch Benson is back in goal again tonight.
    Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 02-02-2019 at 06:39 PM.

Union 15, Colgate 8, SOG after one.
    Union 1, Colgate 0, score after one.
    Mitch Benson keeping us in the game (again).

Union announcers in a very gentle way pointed out that all our scoring comes from the first line and d-men.

They also reminded us that we are the worst penalty killing team in the nation and have the second worst scoring offense.

But they are hyping our prowess in the face off circle. So, there’s that.

On the bright side, ‘20-21 recruit Alex Young is 3rd in the AJHL in goals and 4th in points as a 17 year old. 5 points last night.

Let’s hope he doesn’t de-commit.

Union 30, Colgate 16, SOG after two.
    Union 3, Colgate 0, score after two.
    It is a broken record, but Mitch has played well despite no defense in front of him and man-advantage situations against him.

this program is now an embarrassment...as the Union announcers pointed out we have TWO, yes TWO freshmen skaters...this is no ********** rebuilding year...in exchange for committing $38 million for our new facility this is what we have...I've had enough and the individuals that are responsible for this production should be professionally dismissed after this year...there, I said it...flush the toilet and don't let sympathy or emotion play a part in the decision...fine, we had a good run under DV for 14 long years...he did a good job...being let go or fired is a fact of life for almost all of us...it's not funny and it's not fun...but it must be done and done ASAP...

Wow.

Abject humiliation.

Let’s see:

*No goals.
    *Multiple goals conceded to the opponent power play.
    *Benson solid in a fruitless effort.

Welcome to Colgate hockey.

Have we broken the school record for must shutouts against? Pathetic.

I think there is no way anyone cannot see the need for change.

The huge 6-0 is humiliating.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
    Let’s see:

*No goals.
    *Multiple goals conceded to the opponent power play.
    *Benson solid in a fruitless effort.

Welcome to Colgate hockey.

Have we broken the school record for must shutouts against? Pathetic.

I think there is no way anyone cannot see the need for change.
    8th time we’ve been shut out this year. It was sad to watch the team not being able to execute the simplest of passes. And we have next to no team speed.
    Don pulled Benson after the 2nd period for Farrier. Maybe it was merciful for Mitch.

I looked for you tonight Iowa but I didn’t see anyone with a Colgate jersey in the crowd. What section were you in?

Magoo... Section 3, Row 1 (walkway immediately behind cushioned seats).

Disappointment... Mitch never scored a goal tonight in two periods of play (since I truly believe we are now asking him to do everything for the team).

Not sure the final SOG, but the last time I looked it was something like 42-21 in favor of the team that won 6-0.

Interesting that our 2 senior forwards (Dauda, Racine) weren’t in the lineup last night. And we dressed 7 defensemen and 11 forwards.

Still not sure why Benson got pulled after the 2nd period. He was our best player up till then.

Since I enjoy giving out roses to counter-blance my disappointments...

I like the oft-used strategy of having our captain watch the game from the opposite side of the rink from the players’ bench, giving him a unique view of the ice (if only for two minutes at a time). I am sure that he can see/hear things from over there that he can’t from the crowded and noisy players’ bench. Now sometimes we give up a goal when he moves over there, but overall it must be worth it, or we wouldn’t keep having him lead the team from over there.

Fun with stats:

*We have been outscored 82-36.

*Our opponents score on more than 30% of their power plays.

*We score on 5% of our shots . . . which means somehow we have turned every goalie we face into ‘17-‘18 Colton Point.

*So as not to be completely negative, here’s one for Green Coat. Amazingly, this team has beaten a top 5 and a top 12 team on the road, something even our good teams have been unable to do. That’s just weird.

This season . . .

Go 'Gate!

Like Coach Foto, Vaughan will never be fired. Either they will offer him an "administrative role" or he will need to do the conscionable thing and resign.

Union came to the ECAC table late as a good D-III school. It took the Dutchmen a while to adjust, but their program has never looked back. Our sub-par records and lack of postseason tournament wins or titles is a new low for the program...unless another record shutout by an opponent and the stats Marmot listed - the worst penalty killing team in the nation and have the second worst scoring offense - qualifies as the bottom of the barrel. Or the new normal.

We are in Upstate NY, where hockey skates reign supreme October through April...or so one would think.
    C O L G A T E
    1990 NCAA FINALS

Here every day

I started this thread in 1999, USCHO was in it's infant stages and we had about three or four posters here. Over the years we've had our NCAA tournament teams and our not so good teams, but it seemed there was always something positive to talk about. You may have noticed I'm not posting here much because I just feel like I have nothing positive to add. I genuinely hope this changes in the next few years but it's becoming very challenging to see much change in the near future. I'm at a loss for words.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Go 'Gate!

To say what you've said in your post about a program we all love and a school we cherish as a supreme institution is not a bad thing, shabby. It is more comforting to say things in an open forum among "friends" who share these feelings. Not one of us wishes bad will toward anyone associated with Colgate, from administrators to professors to students to coaches to players. That is also not to say that the coaches and players do not work darn hard. We bleed maroon, plain and simple, and so do they. We are rallying and uniting around a program that is spiraling out of control and is searching for answers. They will come in time but these years will not be forgotten. It's one thing to abandon ship in a down year; loyalty should be unconditional. But when a problem keeps recurring it becomes systemic and affects us all. It also makes us question that loyalty. Regrettably, time is no longer enough to change the discourse of our hockey program and tougher choices should be made. Colgate is not the only ECAC team - or D-I team, for that matter - with these choices to make.

Let's Go 'Gate.
    C O L G A T E
    1990 NCAA FINALS

I wonder how much confidence Don has in his staff as far as recruiting goes. Point was a great get but there have been a lot of misses lately.

We’re graduating 5 guys this year so I guess we’re only bringing in 5 for next year? If that’s the case I see why you’re not too optimistic for next year Shabby.

But if we’re looking for positives we can look at goaltending. Benson can play.

Raider Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
    being let go or fired is a fact of life for almost all of us...it's not funny and it's not fun
    Amen, GreenCoat. It happened to me in November 2017, two months after the company I was working for moved into a new facility and with Christmas approaching. Don's a nice guy but we've fallen off a cliff after two great seasons from 2013-15. I'm still friends with the former team equipment manger from 2008-12, who believes Vaughan would have been canned at the end of 2010-11 if not for our playoff run that season.

Quote Originally Posted by sshablak View Post
    You may have noticed I'm not posting here much because I just feel like I have nothing positive to add. I genuinely hope this changes in the next few years but it's becoming very challenging to see much change in the near future. I'm at a loss for words.
    Me too shabby. I've only been to ONE game this season - back on Oct. 13, our 2nd game of the season, a 2-1 win over UNH. I toyed with the idea of driving out to Schenectady last night but changed my mind at the last minute, and I'm kinda glad I did. This season I missed the away game at Harvard for the first time since graduating from Colgate in 2009. I'm still contemplating whether or not to make the trip to Brown in 2 weeks.
    Colgate '09

Boston Red Sox - 2018 World Series Champions!!!!
    New England Patriots - 2019 Super Bowl Champions!!!!

Thread Information