• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate 2018-19

+1
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I have a question for the two "naysayers" that spread negativity here, they know who they are. Do you realise that potential recruits, and parents of potential recruits read this thread and you are hurting the team with your comments ? We all feel the pain but you can do better with your comments.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Rainman... I have been to all Colgate games this season and I am headed to Miami of Ohio. After two one-goal wins (to NH of HE) and one five-goal loss (to RIT of AH), and with three frosh goalies, an average offense and an average defense, I honestly and realistically expect to see two losses to MU of NCHC. I think we will have to be very lucky to get one win, of which I will be as happy as you. In my opinion, two wins on the road will be miraculous at this point, and I would be ecstatic. Having said all that, there is a reason that I am making the effort to drive all the way out there and back, wearing my Colgate jerseys at the games, and clapping loudly... this is college hockey and anything can happen on any given day and I want to be there when it does. Go ‘Gate.

Comment

We ran into a team that was playing for homecoming (no football team) in an AHL rink with a sold out crowd. RIT placed all there chips on the table and won. I am not happy with the outcome, but look at the atmosphere, I do think it had something to do with the outcome, even if it came from a pumped up RIT team
          Last edited by red133883; 10-22-2018, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Agree about the atmosphere at RIT, red...the fans were the 7th man on the ice. As for my brethren who are kind (?) enough not to call me out by name for my honest opinions - many of which are based on printed facts. As a recruit, I would be sold on Colgate first and foremost as the most amazing, beautiful institution in the nation, how superbly its athletes are treated, how Colgate's scholar-athletes possess one of the highest graduation rates in the NCAA, and perhaps not so much on its hockey record. Constructive criticism, as I prefer to see it, should be welcome and ALL comments taken with a grain of salt.

True about the 2013 team, Rain...(sarcasm coming) but why stop at 5 years ago? Why not go back to our stunning playoff upsets of RPI and Union in 2011 as a #12 seed? I get your point and you should get mine; enough of looking backward. Good teams win at home; better teams win on the road. The lack of accolades speak for themselves. It wasn't until very recently that we finally beat some ranked teams, either. Have not written off this year and all of the incredibly hard work that goes into each season by coaches and players alike. Comments about Union or Qpac are justified.
            C O L G A T E
            2023 ECAC CHAMPION
            1990 NCAA FINALS
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
            ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
            ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I think we "naysayers" get the point and there is some merit to your statements. But my frustration and disappointment stems from exactly what TchrBill states above: my alma mater is a great school, produces great kids, has a much better scorecard on "campus bull****" that goes on at other like colleges, has great facilities, et al. And I have expressed my concerns in other, very discrete ways...I love college hockey and I love Colgate...let's get this program going in an upward trajectory...

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                As a recruit, I would be sold on Colgate first and foremost as the most amazing, beautiful institution in the nation, how superbly its athletes are treated, how Colgate's scholar-athletes possess one of the highest graduation rates in the NCAA, and perhaps not so much on its hockey record. Constructive criticism, as I prefer to see it, should be welcome and ALL comments taken with a grain of salt.
                That's all well and good; couldn't agree with you more about the beautiful campus, academics, etc. But when a recruit comes to Colgate - and he is coming as a recruit for the hockey program - he would certainly want to know about the hockey tradition at the school, what the recent past has been like record-wise, how we do against ECAC opponents, and the personality and attitude of the current team. These are selling points that just might break a tie between going to Colgate or St. Lawrence. Don't ya think? Just sayin'

Comment

In 24 hours, the first matches of the conference schedule will be over and you will no longer be able to enter the ECAC Pick the Standings contest (or change your picks if you already entered). It takes very little time to enter, so head on over to the thread and make your pick!
                  RPI Pep Band
                  GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                  2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                  2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Mitch Benson in goal. Ken Citron not dressed. Miami 14, Colgate 10, Shots On Goal. Miami 1, Colgate 0, after one. Colgate played well in the first half of the period, Miami played better in the second half. We wasted our first power play. Second PP split between first and second periods. Good up-n-back hockey.

Comment

Miami 22, Colgate 17, SOG after two periods. 3-1 Miami after two. Mitch screened on their second goal, then we traded PPG goals. We need to stay out of the penalty box, as we took some poor late-period penalties. Still a good up-n-back game.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                        Mitch Benson in goal. Ken Citron not dressed. Miami 14, Colgate 10, Shots On Goal. Miami 1, Colgate 0, after one. Colgate played well in the first half of the period, Miami played better in the second half. We wasted our first power play. Second PP split between first and second periods. Good up-n-back hockey.
                        Miami 14, Colgate 10......Whaaaa???

Comment

Miami 32, Colgate 29, SOG. Miami 4, Colgate 1, final score. Their goalie deserved the win; he played well. It was a good college hockey game.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                            Miami 32, Colgate 29, SOG. Miami 4, Colgate 1, final score. Their goalie deserved the win; he played well. It was a good college hockey game.
                            Iowa,

Was the game closer than the score? How did the team look compared to last Saturday?

Comment

one goal...6 goals in four games...

Comment

Iowa,
                                Was the game closer than the score? How did the team look compared to last Saturday?

Yes, the game was much closer than the score indicated.
                                And I thought, overall, the team looked much better than last week.
                                We came out strong, but we just needed to keep that momentum going. I am sure goalie Benson wishes he could have at least one do-over, but, overall, I thought he played well. Our defense just needs to clear guys out from in front of him. And we need to stop taking poor penalties (goalie interference). While we didn’t visibly get rattled, I wish we could score first. I think the little bit of confidence that that could afford us would benefit our younger (more inexperienced) players. After RIT, I have reset my personal expectations, and last night is likely how our season is going to go, I think. We played well, but they played better. I am the one yelling ‘good job’ and ‘good effort,’ as I know that we aren’t going to score on every shift. But, I expect us to put in a solid effort on every shift. I usually also post SOG before the score, because I think that is going to be a very important indicator for our team this season. We don’t appear to have any snipers, so the more shots, the better, in the long run. If we can lead SOG, or come close (like last night), we’ll be in the running for most games. I look forward to tonight’s game.

Comment

Working...
                                X