Colgate 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2018-19

There is no requiem for the 2018-19 Colgate Men's Ice Hockey season. Mercifully, it is over. I only made it to TWO games this season, and while part of me feels bad about it, another part of me doesn't regret it. It is not the worst season in terms of total wins (2016-17 still holds that record), but it's the worst I've seen since 2005 in terms of player/team statistics:
    -NO players with double-digit goals
    -NO players averaging a point per game
    -as a team, averaging WELL UNDER 2 goals/game.
    -as a team, shut out TEN times in 36 games (roughly once every other weekend! I'm groaning louder than Charlie Brown!)

I feel REALLY bad for the seniors. They only won 47 games in their 4 seasons at Colgate.
    -The Class of 2015 (Wilson, Lidgett, Goulakos) that left 'Gate just before this year's seniors came into the program won 75 games.
    -The Class of 2008 (Burton, Winchester, Dekanich) won 78 games.
    -The Class of 2007 won 82 games.
    -The Class of 2006 won 84 games.

The following is a copy of what I posted after the 2016-17 season:
    Is the hockey program at a crossroads? I think it is. The university is definitely committed to making both the men’s and women’s teams successful, and our new rink can certainly attest to that. But if next season ends up being similar to the previous two, a change might be necessary. And sadly, the only one I can think of would be a coaching change. Now I like Don Vaughan, and he’s a good coach. He’s also been one of the "drivers" in getting the new rink built. In the 12 seasons I’ve been following Colgate hockey, I’ve never seen the team "mail it in" during a game. Unfortunately, the coach’s resources have been thin in each of the past 2 seasons - something not entirely in his control. But I’m concerned. If no noticeable improvement is made by the end of next season, his job might be in jeopardy.
    And I posted this at the start of the 2017-18 season:
    I said this at the end of last season, and I'll say it again now. If this season has similar results to the previous two, then Don Vaughan's job could be in jeopardy. Now I like Don, and he preaches a "never quit" mentality to the players, but with a new rink, the university has committed to making both the men's and women's hockey programs successful. Three consecutive seasons with 20+ losses is almost certainly a red flag.
    Now the season after 2016-17 was a noticeable improvement in the won/loss record. But we only scored 2.17 goals/game that season, after scoring only 2.1 goals/game in 2016-17. And we already know that statistic for this season. I wonder if that new goal horn at Class of 1965 arena is a curse?

Is the program at a crossroads: in my honest, humble opinion, YES. Is Don Vaughan's job in jeopardy? in my honest, humble opinion, YES. Are the assistant coaching jobs in jeopardy? YES. Three 20+ loss seasons in 4 years is unacceptable, especially when you take into account the success the football, men's soccer, women's hockey, and men's basketball teams have all shown this academic year. All I can do now is pray...
    Colgate '09

Comment

Addendum: this year's graduating class is the first since 1999 that FAILED to make it to the ECAC Final Four. Each of the 19 graduating classes before this one got to go to Lake Placid or Albany at least ONCE in their four years at 'Gate.

Colgate '09

Comment

wise words and spot on...nobody likes the current situation, in part because we're talking about individuals who have been great representatives of our school, have helped to develop quality young men, and always produce teams that compete hard. But IMHO it's is time for change (and, echoing Rainman's sentiments), including the assistant coach as well. To repeat, this isn't fun stuff, but we all know on this thread that we've been spinning our wheels, with a downward drift, for many years. As many of us have said here, the end of the "new arena" process should've been a reboot for MIH. It clearly hasn't been; we are 43% over the last 13 years and 37% over the last four. It'll be interesting to see if anything noteworthy occurs over the next two or three weeks...

Comment

Winchester has been the CCHL Coach of the Year two consecutive seasons, and his Brockville Braves are currently in the Top 10 nationwide across juniors. Looks like he can manage from behind the bench. Who knows how he could recruit, but his efforts with the Class of ‘16 are certainly encouraging. He would also be a great avatar for the school as his ‘gate career led to a regular gig in the NHL. He can preach it because he lived it.

As Winchester played under Vaughan, maybe Don would see it as a continuation of what he started and take a job in the athletic administration. After all he has meant to the school and all his efforts over the past quarter century, I would love to see him move to a management position in the athletic department so he can still be part of a school he clearly cares a ton about.

Comment

It’s hard to say, but a change might be a good thing. I think the only way if happens is if Winchester decides he wants the job. It seemingly would be a smooth amimicable transition.

As everyone has said here before it stinks that it is even a consideration at this point, but it has to be addressed.

Comment

I know this is all conjecture, but, intuitively the above comments make some sense. I've seen Jesse interviewed a few times. He's articulate, young, a slow developer who carved out a decent NHL career. And he might be able to get us back in the game in Ontario recruiting, where we have little clout (thank you UMass, Clarkson and others). He's a great example of a young man, progressing at a great school and making it in the NHL (DV certainly deserves some credit here). Any transition's going to be difficult, but as "red133883" has stated, the current state of our program HAS to be addressed.

Comment

I am relatively new to the party, but, with the comments here since Saturday night, I am reminded of the following...

Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                  appreciate the comment LTsatch...they're good kids and they compete...we've got a problem very similar to what Tom Beckitt faced at Yale with Tim Taylor...it's not pleasant, but...
                  Did not know Winchester was an alumnus, it certainly helped having Allain as a former Yale goalie when the transition happened. His pro experience with the Caps was also key. He and Taylor were great friends and having a respected guy from the same school softened the blow for Taylor. Good luck.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Just to be clear, I only alluded to Winchester as he ticks all of the boxes as listed by LSatch above. Other than the fact that I think it would be a great idea on many levels I have no actual source saying this is a tangible possibility.

Comment

But as Green Coat knows, I’ve brought up the Vaughan-Taylor parallels for several years now.

What if Winchester could be our Allain? . . .

Comment

I recently spent 2 days at hockey tourney here in Albany talking with a scout from the Brockville Braves. When we talked about Winchester he couldn’t say enough good things about him. He said he knows it’s just a matter of time before he moves up the ranks.
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

interesting...I also note that Brockville's assistant coach is Walter Dubas, one of Terry's early recruits who had a good career at Colgate...BTW, Brockville's top forward has committed to UMass (again, UMass in Ontario), with two defensemen also committed to DI colleges (one to SLU)...

Comment

I HATE when the season is over, no matter the record. It means saying goodbye to five (six) fabulous student/athletes and dare I say, friends. Willie, Rory, Kenny, Hunter, Adam and Griffin (student manager). It means empty Friday and Saturday nights for a while. It means not listening to the BEST collegiate announcer, John McGraw. It means not hanging with friends and fans in Riggs for at least 6 months. I cannot wait for the puck to drop on the '19-'20 season!!! GO 'GATE!!!

Comment

I’m half serious as I ask this question but do Colgate students know we have a new rink and don’t play at Starr Rink anymore? I mean I hardly ever see any students at the new rink. I saw the basketball game on TV yesterday and there appeared to be students in attendance. Maybe we should give them free food at the new rink if that’s what it takes to get them to show up.

Comment

Magoo: First and foremost is that Cotterell Court is smaller than '65, secondly that is a tournament game where if they win they have a single game to go to the NCAA tournament. Its like if the ECAC final four was in Hamilton. And we need to score, and win some games.

Comment

Working...
                                X