Colgate 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2018-19

Aight... which one of us gets put out of our misery first?

Comment

Union 20, Colgate 18, SOG after two.
      Union 1, Colgate 0, score after two.
      Mitch Benson is keeping us in it, as usual.
      We have trouble getting it out of our own end, even on power plays.
      Best news for me, personally, is that Michigan has been sent golfing... before Colgate. he he he

Comment

Union 4, Colgate 0, final score.
        Union 31, Colgate 29, final SOG.
        Two beautiful goals followed by an ENG.
        Season over for ‘Gate.

Comment

more tomorrow when I sober up and am a little more objective (which will be worse than the following comments)...the worst season in Colgate men's hockey since Terry's first year at Colgate (he assumed Jim Higgins recruiting class and, with numerous injuries as well, finished at 4-20-1 in the league and 5-24-1 overall. The next year (Terry's first as a recruiter) brought in names that most of you will not recognize; but for starters, Denis LaPensee, Dan Fridgen, Bill MacCreary, Guy Lemonde, Chris Renaud...I have total respect for the seniors who played their last game for Colgate. They are good kids, they compete, and they are great representatives of our university. And their efforts should not be tarnished by a four-year record of 47-86-17...they were simply outgunned by programs (about 75% of DI programs) who have higher levels of talent. They have great composite character and will do well in the future. Speaking of the future...as a fan I've always tried to be objective in the final analysis of both a game, a season, a legion of seasons...it is with very mixed emotions and a great deal of sadness that yours truly (like a number of my good friends on this great thread) believes that we are (and have been for a number of years) at a crossing point...does this program REALLY aspire to being a nationally competitive Division I hockey program? If the answer is yes, it's time to start over...and it's not easy to say this, in part because we have a head coach who is a class act and has greatly contributed to my alma mater...but the parallels to Tim Taylor at Yale are very, very similar...restart, reboot, and get this program back to a competitive level...we are, after all, COLGATE, and the past (whether it's four years or thirteen) is simply not acceptable...

Comment

BTW great, professional job by the Union crew tonight...we're fortunate to have (in almost all cases) very professional and knowledgeable play-by-play and color guys in the league...we've got, certainly, one of the best (if not the best) in John...

Comment

Good luck to the seniors.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

appreciate the comment LTsatch...they're good kids and they compete...we've got a problem very similar to what Tom Beckitt faced at Yale with Tim Taylor...it's not pleasant, but...

Comment

Feel your pain Coat, and as an '83 guy I knew/know all of the guys you mentioned personally... great team that got me into Gate hockey. One of my fraternity brothers was a first line player as a sophomore, by the time he was a senior he was sitting in the stands next to me... the reboot does need to happen, but it doesn't have to take forever! Good luck to the seniors, and here's to better seasons ahead in our beautiful new arena...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                    appreciate the comment LTsatch...they're good kids and they compete...we've got a problem very similar to what Tom Beckitt faced at Yale with Tim Taylor...it's not pleasant, but...
                    It will not be easy, and no matter what happens, feelings will be hurt. Yale changed the Coach and upgraded the facilities at the same time, so you are ahead of that game with the new rink. The new Assistant Coaches had just as much to do with Yale's resurgance. If you are going to let go of a legacy Coach, much better to just clean house, old habits die hard.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

There just had to be one last dagger, more salt and lemon juice on the wound...a final stat of 10 shutouts in 36 games to end this agonizing season. TGIO.

Would love the perspective of the seniors and players who were recruited to play here. Why did they choose Colgate? Would they do it again? What are their lasting impressions? Would they advise other recruits to come here? After 4 years, do they still support their coach? The smartest players were Wagner and Point who left when the writing was on the wall.

Thought Jenna Jorgensen did a great job in her summary/recap of the game/season. It was a positive end a bleak season. There was also this tidbit of information that we are currently discussing:

With 962 games under at the helm of Colgate hockey, head coach Don Vaughan's 26th season is the third longest tenure in college hockey, behind Rick Gotkin (Mercyhurst, 31st season), and Bob Daniels (Ferris State, 27th season).

#Drain the swamp
                      #RIP2018-2019

Thank you, Senior Class
                      C O L G A T E
                      2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                      1990 NCAA FINALS
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                      ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                      ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Do we know how many forwards we’re bringing in next year?

Comment

don't really know...seems like four, perhaps five...the Young brothers arrive in 2019 and 2020 (Camrose/AJHL) with the younger one coming in 2020 (with what it seems is a pretty good upside)...Vachon from Brooks Bandits, Manderville (son of Cornell's Manderville) has good size but hasn't shown much on the scoring front, a Swiss youngster playing in the BCHL, and maybe Jack Hoey from Choate who was supposed to play in the BCJL this year, but was injured and did not play...on paper? Hard to say, maybe OK, but nothing to get excited about...development is a tough call and I hope I am dead wrong...Eric Ciccolini (a talented 2020 recruit) decomitted and is headed to Michigan. Chris Heisenberg, College Hockey, Inc and Neutral Zone (pay a fee here) are pretty good resources. Our informative SPC? No chance..

Comment

The last recruiting class I was excited about was the one containing the Spinks.

And who made that happen? . . .

Comment

That said, Alex Young does look to have potential. Hopefully, he won’t be the new Bobby McMann (i.e. one of the best players from the AJHL who is hamstrung at ‘gate playing with inferior talent).

Comment

exactly...I do believe that Jesse Winchester was a major help in assembling a talented Class of '16...BTW, I hope we don't lose Jared Cockrell permanently...he's had a number of concussions...several ECAC teams remain on the bubble...frankly, at this point looks like two (Q-Pac and somebody else) will make it...was hoping for three, but the numbers are tough...as for us, let's see what the "off season" brings...

Comment

Working...
                                X