Colgate 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate 2018-19

Iowa, thank you for your concise and thoughtful recap of the game. Hope the boys will come away with a split. Go 'Gate!!

Comment

CU13, thanks. My posts aren’t going to be detailed play-by-play analysis like I see on other threads (and which I enjoy reading). I am, first and foremost, a college hockey fanatic. I want to see an entertaining game. I didn’t go to Colgate (but two brothers did). I won’t be commenting on the coaching staff nor the recruiting plan; there are others on here more knowledgeable about the whole program than I am. I just want to see competitive hockey and if Colgate wins, all the better. Right now, it appears (to me) that we have an average offense (to GreenCoat’s point), an average defense and three freshmen goalies. Unless individuals really step up and lead, there will likely be a lot of ‘close, but no cigar’ games in our future. I still maintain that we will have to be ‘very lucky’ to win later this afternoon (earlier start than normal). On a separate subject, Bowling Green’s 8-2 thumping of Ohio State in Columbus was all the buzz in the crowd last night. Should be an interesting rematch at BGSU tonight. And we have 2018 Frozen Four participant Ohio State coming up at home on November 9-10.
      Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-27-2018, 10:06 AM.

Comment

How about RPI's upset of Union. Tonight's game is at Union so maybe payback? Thanks for the report Iowa. I'll try to get my SOG figures right. :-))
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Colskate65, I totally agree that the RPI upset was HUGE. I had a bad experience at Union last year, so it never hurts my feelings to see them go down. Plus, I really like RPI’s coach Smith (met him during Fairbanks tournament a couple of years ago).

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
            Colskate65, I totally agree that the RPI upset was HUGE. I had a bad experience at Union last year, so it never hurts my feelings to see them go down. Plus, I really like RPI’s coach Smith (met him during Fairbanks tournament a couple of years ago).
            You thought your experience at Messa was bad? Be thankful you're not a fan of RPI. They still "have concerns" about throwing stuff on the ice after goals (oranges were commonplace my freshman year) so invasive pat-downs are common, and their security goons constantly hound you throughout the game. Cheel's the only other arena that I won't go to as I almost got into a fight; not sure if you've been there or not. I still miss Starr, my favorite outside of HFH.

Comment

FlagDUDE08, while walking out of the Union arena last year (game against ‘Gate), I was elbowed by an ‘old man’ while I was walking with my cane. He muttered something about not liking my loud clapping. Now I am age 59, so I am no spring chicken, but he was likely in his 70’s. Kinda sad, actually. I have been to Cheel several times and love it, but maybe ‘cause one of my best Frozen Four friends is a season ticket holder there. I love the pre-game buffet, too. I also went to RPI’s HFH last year... and loved it. I found it to be a great experience. I am not a fan of Lynah at all (no hand-railings, the whole newspaper thingee, etc.). And SLU’s Appleton is like playing hockey in an Adirondack cabin... love it. I had a good experience at Dartmouth; of course, I love the Hanover area.
              Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-27-2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                FlagDUDE08, while walking out of the Union arena last year (game against ‘Gate), I was elbowed by an ‘old man’ while I was walking with my cane. He muttered something about not liking my loud clapping. Now I am age 59, so I am no spring chicken, but he was likely in his 70’s. Kinda sad, actually. I have been to Cheel several times and love it there, but maybe ‘cause one of my best Frozen Four friends is a season ticket holder there. I love the pre-game buffet, too. I also went to RPI’s HFH last year... and loved it. I found it to be a great experience. I am not a fan of Lynah at all (no hand-railings, the whole newspaper thingee, etc.). And SLU’s Appleton is like playing hockey in an Adirondack cabin... love it. I had a good experience at Dartmouth; of course, I love the Hanover area.
                Appleton's one of my favorites, being up along the rails and grabbing a poutine at the intermission. I try to make it there every year, but those Tug Hill snowstorms are about as bad as that blizzard on US 20 was during the playoffs last year, and the trip's thrice as long as Colgate. Only been to Hanover once, but also enjoyable. Glad you enjoyed HFH.

Do you ever go to any of the USHL arenas to get a preview of the recruits? Lincoln has a really vibrant arena. Youngstown was just empty and trying to hype like no tomorrow; although it's the closest to me in distance, it made me not want to go there again (not to mention I don't think FlagDUDETTE would be OK with that trip).

Comment

FlagDUDE08, I have made some of those arenas. I spent 28 years in Iowa, so I was a UNO season ticket holder and saw many games in Des Moines, Mason City, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, Sioux City, Omaha, Lincoln, Green Bay, etc.
                  Last year, after Lake Placid, we went to Ottawa to see a game against North Bay, and it was fun. So, last month, I saw QMJHL play in Springhill (Nova Scotia), Shawinigan and Quebec City. Also caught an NHL game in Montreal.
                  Lastly, Poutine rocks.

https://www.roamingtherinks.com/tom-schmeh
                  Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 10-27-2018, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Andrew Farrier in goal this afternoon for Colgate.

Comment

• Re: Colgate 2018-19

Miami 12, Colgate 7, Shots On Goal.
                      Miami 1, Colgate 0, score after one period.
                      Our first penalty was for Embellishment. We really need to play smarter. But it’s not over...

Comment

Anyone else hate the embellishment AND the underlying penalty called. Either it was hooking or it was embellishment I don’t think it cant be both

Comment

Colgate 21, Miami 21, Shots On Goal, after two periods.
                          Miami 4, Colgate 0, score after two periods.
                          We can’t catch a break. We out-played them the majority of the period, and they earned three goals in the second. We just aren’t playing smart, in my opinion. Their second goal was a PPG. We can’t keep taking penalties. Their final goal came with five seconds left in the period. Never good. Miami does what good teams do... they take advantage of defensive lapses (even brief ones). And they certainly have snipers. Their goals were beautiful to watch, but the scorers shouldn’t even have had those opportunities.
                          Not expecting a miracle today.

Comment

haven't watched all weekend...why bother? Apparently we NEVER catch a break (the usual refrain from DV as well...bad bounces, etc.)...

Comment

Miami 40, Colgate 30, final SOG.
                              Miami 6, Colgate 0, final score.
                              Needless to say, the better team swept the weekend.
                              Glad I made the effort to come and watch the games.
                              Go ‘Gate.

Comment

Didn't watch the game, but we were pretty close in SOG and faceoffs. Seems we could have controlled play better. I gather the second period was our best; need to have that energy coming out of the gate. Young teams learn this the hard way I suppose. Farrier seems to have been pretty good in goal despite the margin of victory for Miami. Let's beat Brown and Yale and get some MO back.
                                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Working...
                                X