Colgate 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2018-19

Furthermore, as I feel like I point out every year, look at our records over the past twelve years:

3 winning seasons
    6 losing seasons (not including this one)
    3 .500 seasons

I’m sorry, but that speaks for itself. Why is the hockey program failing to achieve the success of so many of our other programs?

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
      Once the video came on I had no problems with the sound. It was getting past the "Free Week of ESPN+" ads that bothered me. There is no place to log in and just be taken straight to the game!! I mean is it so difficult for them to just let you log in with your password and take you to the game??!? :-/

Gate Radio's broadcast came in loud and clear with no glitches the entire game.
      Skate, a question for you, how do you sign in ? I go to GoColgate raiders.com, then hit sports, then men's sports, then hockey, then schedule, then hit watch, by the game. It goes directly to ESPN+ and the game. No password or anything needed.

I have a feeling you're using an old computer too ?
      Last edited by sshablak; 11-18-2018, 08:42 AM.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Let's also look at these stats courtesy of college hockey stats: 59th out of 60 teams in total offense, 52nd out of 60 teams in power play percentage. These stats are extremely disappointing. How can we say this coaching staff is even capable of turning this program around? The power play percentage is a direct correlation to the inefficiencies of this staff. Wasn't Harder brought in to help the offense? We got crushed when Dexter left. He could recruit AND coach. I agree though. The team works hard. Congrats on that.

Comment

Just going to throw out there that any long-term judgement on this year's team should be held up until 8, 14 and 28 return from injury. All three guys were playing in top six roles before going down with injury and in the case of 8, he was playing on Colgate's top offensive line. Many teams would struggle losing three top six forwards for any length of time.

Injuries ultimately though aren't an excuse for poor play or overall bad nights (like last night). The team needs to get better and make better decisions with the puck at both ends of the ice. There's still a lot of hockey left to be played.

And regarding de-committed players, top tier programs commit and de-commit kids all the time and young men de-commit for a variety of reasons. There's no need to get pants-on-fire about two players deciding to attend school elsewhere or potentially go to the OHL.

Comment

With respect to recruits, it is now up to three de-commits in the last six months: Gallant, Scanlin and Ciccolini. Which coincidentally enough, is the same amount of players who have committed in that time frame. So, we’re at net zero.

Although I can certainly recall commits backing out over the years, it’s been a handful. The fact that three have left over the past half year is a new and troubling development. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this is occurring as our program slides into obscurity.

Additionally, although top flight programs may have de-commits all the time, their overall recruiting numbers are *WAY* higher than ours. Most such programs are recruiting between 15-25 guys at a time. We had 11. Of whom we have already lost 3.

Comment

Furthermore, the quality of the incoming recruits doesn’t exactly inspire awe. The Young brothers could have potential, but no one else on the list jumps out. More of the same mediocrity.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                Skate, a question for you, how do you sign in ? I go to GoColgate raiders.com, then hit sports, then men's sports, then hockey, then schedule, then hit watch, by the game. It goes directly to ESPN+ and the game. No password or anything needed.

I have a feeling you're using an old computer too ?
                Shabby, the computer is relatively new; I don't think the problem is the computer (altho I'd like a faster one. I'm also on a satellite so that slows things down).

I make all the same moves you do. What I get is a yellow ad for receiving a free 7-day subscription for ESPN+ for $4.99/month. There is no place to log in. Maybe I'm jumping the gun and should just wait for it to take me to the game. What I've been doing is clicking on the ad, then waiting while ESPN goes thru a bunch of screens that are not necessary, since I'm already signed up. Eventually I get a place to log in and do so. After this a screen comes up asking for all my credit card info and email - all stuff I've given them a month ago. If I do nothing else it says "Get Started" - so I click on that and it takes me to the game (after the circle revolves around for 3-4 minutes). It's just very frustrating and I miss most of the period. Think I'll call ESPN this week and find out what the problem is. Thanks for your sympathy..:-))

Ditto to Gate Radio's points. It's too early to throw in the towel, and with all the injuries what do people expect? Even the Boston Bruins/NY Rangers have bad stretches.
                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I appreciate all the comments and, at least on the surface, it is true that normally de-commits are not unusual...and Gallant's de-commit is probably a good thing knowing the reasons...but, as Marmot says, we generally have held on to our "commits" and it's not just that two in the last two months have de-committed...they were two of our best potential adds to a team in desperate need of talent...furthermore, I have to believe that scoring 12 goals in 11 goals is not the most effective way of keeping high quality recruits "committed" to Colgate...I know two of our best forwards are out right now, but this is BOTH a short-term and a LONG-term issue here...

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                    Shabby, the computer is relatively new; I don't think the problem is the computer (altho I'd like a faster one. I'm also on a satellite so that slows things down).

I make all the same moves you do. What I get is a yellow ad for receiving a free 7-day subscription for ESPN+ for $4.99/month. There is no place to log in. Maybe I'm jumping the gun and should just wait for it to take me to the game. What I've been doing is clicking on the ad, then waiting while ESPN goes thru a bunch of screens that are not necessary, since I'm already signed up. Eventually I get a place to log in and do so. After this a screen comes up asking for all my credit card info and email - all stuff I've given them a month ago. If I do nothing else it says "Get Started" - so I click on that and it takes me to the game (after the circle revolves around for 3-4 minutes). It's just very frustrating and I miss most of the period. Think I'll call ESPN this week and find out what the problem is. Thanks for your sympathy..:-))

Ditto to Gate Radio's points. It's too early to throw in the towel, and with all the injuries what do people expect? Even the Boston Bruins/NY Rangers have bad stretches.
                    After I hit watch, the game comes on live within 5-6 seconds. I don't know what you're getting(yellow ad and login ?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gate Raider View Post
                      59th out of 60 teams in total offense
                      Who’s 60th?

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                        Who’s 60th?
                        Actually, you're doing better now; 58th. But to answer your question, Alabama Huntsville and Alaska Anchorage. http://collegehockeystats.net/1819/national/d1m

Comment

If someone told you at the beginning of the season that Colgate would be only one slot behind Boston College in the pairwise, at this point in the season, you would be ecstatic !!!! Well guess what? You are !!! Your 48 and BC is 47. Take some consolation. No one at BC is writing off the season and you should not either. For the last two games you have the same average Goals per Game as Princeton. They have something to worry about. The direction they are heading is downhill. You are heading uphill.
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Thanks Dutch, however, not so sure about that.

Comment

I know you’re trying to cheer us up Dutchman, but we’re not too ecstatic right now.
                              Last edited by Magoo; 11-19-2018, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                                After I hit watch, the game comes on live within 5-6 seconds. I don't know what you're getting(yellow ad and login ?)
                                That's what should happen - and did happen previous years. But now it doesn't go straight to the game; for some reason it makes it more complicated than it needs to be. Don't worry about it. I'll speak to them and find out what I'm doing wrong.

Who knew QU?
                                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Working...
                                X